Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Post, First Character Model

okay... umm... hi, i guess...
this is my first post over here, and i decided to show a character that i made for a lowpoly contest over at 3dkingdom.
Poly limit was 2500, we could have any numer of maps not exceeding 512*512, and topic was any game character model.
I thought of posting it up here just to kinda introduce myself, and to get as many crits and comments as i could.

45a1d368-competition-subm.jpg

"This guy is supposed to be kinda' undead, experimented upon, enemy in a game. Upon years of experimentation, he is able to move extremely fast by adjusting the organs inside his abdominal region, and is able to withstand lots of pain. The glowie things on the spinal column are small machines which allow his spine to hold up the immense weight."

okay, this is my first ever completed character model, and it is also the first time using/making a normal map. Looking forward to some suggestions and comments,
thanks

Replies

• gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    First and foremost, welcome to polycount, Abhishek. Glad you posted. If you compare our number of registered members (pretty big) with the number of people who have actually posted (relatively fewer), it's a good reminder of how much nerve it takes to make that first post smile.gif

You're at the beginning of what I hope will be a long and fruitful artistic journey. People will give you advice, some better than others, but likely if you take the most often repeated suggestions, you'll turn out alright.
    Models are a pretty complicated business these days, so I don't envy those just beginning--but with some dedication and lots of practice, you'll get better.

Since this is your first model, there's a lot of ground to cover. So I'll simply address a few principles of presentation and choice of concept and leave the rest to those that know modeling and texturing better.

1.) basic presentation counts for a lot. You included the texture flats and several views of your model together with a polycount, wireframe, title and your name, which is great. These are important basics that a good number of beginners don't manage well. Thumbnail is important, too.

On the other hand, given the relative simplicity of the geometry and texture, your image size is far too big. I've got a widescreen monitor, but even it can't handle a 2000+ pixel wide image comfortably. Make sure your images easily fit within typical viewing resolutions--these days, I'd keep it to around 1000x1000 max (if opening to a new window) and more like 600x800 max for an in-line image on a forum.
    You may also want to try a slightly less "loud" background color for presenting your renders; that purple overwhelms the actual model by a fair amount.

2.) About the concept itself. You've done well to include a short description of your monster, those are excellent ways to help present and flesh out a character. The trouble is that the interesting ideas presented in the short description don't seem to be easily discernable from the model at all. Does his doughy, white, near-featureless skin speak of years of torture and experimentation? The idea of locomotion via internal organs has potential to say the least, but how does that work--does he bounce on that gut of his? What's so threatening about the stump-arm?

The short of it is that you'll be able to progress far more rapidly if you're working from better concepts. Models are far more complicated, and so are their corresponding concept designs; start with a bad concept, end with a bad model.
    I'm guessing that you've not really developed your 2D/traditional drawing skills, and that's okay. But as you develop them in tandem with your modeling skills (as will happen), you'll help yourself immensely by using a strong concept design, something to challenge you and help you develop your abilities. As it is, your model looks very nearly blank--little idea of anatomy, of technology, etc... all the particulars of the model design just aren't there.

So do yourself a favor and work from a strong concept. Likely you'll want to work from proper orthographics, too. Especially when you're just starting out, ambiguities in the concept will spell disaster when translating to a model and texture... and in these days of normal maps and such, ambiguity can't really be afforded.

3.) A few notes about modeling and texturing. I'm impressed that you've got all the textures that a typical game model might have, with the spec and normal and such all on your first model, but now you have to make them work. As it stands, an average modeler could indicate the level of detail you have with 4 maps with just a diffuse texture. Don't feel bad, that's just how it is when you start out.

But before jumping into the deep end of the pool with normal maps and high poly models and so on and so forth, you might heavily consider getting a grip on some lower-poly work first. Check out our contest forum, and try one of the low poly challenges that comes through it quite regularly. Once you've learned to make 500 polys and a single 256x256 diffuse texture work for you, you may find that you're able to tackle more complicated modeling/texturing issues more easily.

So in summary, here's what you need to focus on in your early stages:

1.)Post images smaller than 1000x1000, ideally about 600x800 or so.
    2.) Work from strong concepts, ideally with orthographics. If you see a good, clearly drawn concept, don't be afraid to ask the artist if you could model it. It'll be good practice for you and he or she will likely be flattered.
    3.)Focus on making great looking lower-poly models and build in complexity.

About point 2, if you are hard up for concepts, myself or several others could give you a few to play with!

Anyhow, hope you find this post helpful, and good luck with honing your craft. It may be complicated work these days, but it's still very rewarding. smile.gif
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    indian_boy, welcome to Polycount! You couldn't pick a nicer spot on the whole internets to chat and share your work. I just recommended Polycount to a games-job-hungry 3d graduate who appeared at my drawing class last night - and this is why - well reasoned comment and encouragement from those who really know. Thanks Gauss, for illustrating my point so eloquently.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow!
    first off, id like to thank you two for posting comments, and suggestions.

@ Gauss - thanks for all ur pointers, and i will most definately keep them all in mind throughout my life... sorry for the purple by the way... dont know what drove me to picking that colour. Well, wats it called, umm yeah: i AM pretty unconfident with my 2d Art, cuz my school in this country has a very crappy art program. Back in Morocco and Denmark, the school had good art programs which i joined. At first i actually wanted to be a concept artist, but then clay and 3 dimensions (including on the computer) got my attention, hence, im now focused on this (game art, that is). SO, my drawing skills are often neglected. Recently however, my interest in drawing has been rejuvenated (since the Dominance War where i observed everybody's concepts closely) and im gonna post two of my drawings which i am proud of (concept + drawing). Tell me what u think when i post them up...

@ Gmanx - u couldnt be more right...!
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay... concept number one:

ab361047-Dragon-Slayer-jp.jpg

supposed to be a character from a fantasy land. His people are a small tribe with a Spartan/Japanese type culture. ie. Military in nature (explaining the bulging muscles) and based on respect and honour (couldnt show that, but the tuft of long hair is kinda' like the japanese thing). Basically: barbarians, one day, raided his small town, killed many (including his father) and "took away" many women (including his mother). As one of the few survivors of the raid, the teenager vowed to take revenge. He picked up the village warrior-chief's helmet, wrapped his mother's torn blouse around his arm, and picked up his fathers sword and shield, and began his journey of vengance.

im not going to show concept two yet, cuz its going through some final revisions, but please feel free to comment on the drawing and the concept of the above...
    thanks again!