Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

CE's "resurrecting my portfolio" thread

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
I'm letting my old progress thread die cause i put a "last updated" thingy in the header which i now cant update...so it lies!

Here's the link back to that one:
Previous WiP thread clicky clicky

Ive finally gotten my armored guy's low poly just about done. There are some minor things i need to clean up and add before i'll commit to unwrapping him.

almostdone.jpg

As usual, i love to hear comments/crit. I learn a lot from those. In particular I need some advice on what you guys think the best way to approach the cloth would be (purple stuff =P).

right now he's counting in at 5332 tris if memory serves.

Ive also been working on a piece for the warcraft competition. Ill post that later this week.

Replies

• poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Let me be the first to say: SPLOOGE!

Loving it dude, nice colors, insteresting forms, cool proportions. I can't wait to see the texture.

poop.gif
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Damn dude, thats the shizzle. Nice stuff. I am looking forward to seeing that bad boy textured!
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Unbeatable! I really dig the arms and hands and how the whole figure's posture flows. Very cool!
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I like it, but id say the top needs more details. The general rule of thumb is the lower you go down the body the lower the detail should be. I like the details in the boots so id add more to the top.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    I dissagree, more on the top might make it look too bussy but hey, thats just me. Altough a bit of detail at the back on the domed section and maybe some on the grey section in the front might work with it...
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    Damn cool. The hands and boots look sweet.

I agree with TGZ; the detailing is uneven. Even taking the overlapping panel on the back of the calf and mimicking it on the back/shoulder pads would help. Or maybe remove detail from the boots.

Also, I think the small of the back is going in too far, especially considering he has a heap of armor on. Unfortunatly, it'd kill the dynamic shape you have going on, so (as always) it's your call.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I think you could scale down the size of the head just a tad bit and make it a much more imposing figure.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I really like it, lovin those boots o' badassery. My concern is with the functionality of the design, how well can this character rotate his arms at the shoulder? Almost seems like his arms are restricted to little more than where they currently are.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Ebagg, one thing Ive found when making fantasy or sci-fi character costumes, Form always before function! otherwise,it's no fun. This isn't a hard and fast rule, but not following it is a sure way to overthink a design and get bored with it.
    This kicks ass Chaos, The boots are the best part. I feel lke the head is missing something. Maybe give him small little circular eyes? I dont know just a suggesstion.
  • game-ready
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    game-ready polycounter lvl 17
    Nice work man. I am really diggin the arms as well. The 'sashes' on the side of him look a bit wierd to me with all the armor, but I am sure it will all come together when you texture it. Good stuff, can't wait to see him textured.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I'm lovin' this man. I'm glad to see you continuing to work on this. I'm in love with the proportions. I really dig how this guy seems to be made out of "opposing C's" (atleast from the saide view) if that makes any sense.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! thanks a lot for the comments and encouragement, i store it all up in my "resevior of love" and save it for those times that MAX makes me want to put my wacom pen in my eyesocket.

Some good suggestions, getting me to focus in the right direction.

TGZ, Spacey: Yeah i can see what you mean. I did intend to keep the top a little more streamlined but it does need something else, specially from the back.

Aesir: I played around with that a bit too, but I have to keep it anatomically correct since there's supposed to be a dude in there =)

ebagg, ghost_rider: Hey! it actually does work...sorta. haha. In theory the two plates slide over each other and allow for more mobility. I just stared at it and i think i might make a scapula plate on the back and trim some off the deltoid plate . that might help solve the detailing thing a bit too.

blarg: yeah, im a little unsure of how to address the cloth, as i mentioned. Im just gonna experiment with it i guess. We'll see what works =P

Geezus: thanks man. did you see my previous WiP thread? I use that technique a lot to help with anatomy/design. Cool that you could notice that even here!

So im just typing cause im at work and cant PAINT, but when i get home ill put my money where my mouth is and do some paintovers of the fixes.
  • Jest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the boots and the overall desgin but the arms seem restrained by the shoulders too much. However is all it's going to do is shoot and make minor hand movements I would keep it. It adds a nice looking "alien touch" to its figure. Keep it up cant way to see it textured
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    looks cool. i'd widen his hip area and lower abdominal area just a tad....just a tad.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Very cool! These lower legs are deliciously powerful, loving them!

It has a certain Unreal2 feel which is very nice. As for the lack of detail on the back, I think it could use something similar to what Ror put on his Hardball player some years ago... Someone got a picture?
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    i dig it!

i kinda wish the waist up to the back / rear shoulders was a little bulkier, it has great density from the front, but the armor feels very thin in profile on the back. Viewing it from the front gives a completely different impression of the side view, where i think it lacks that same 'raaahhhh fucking lots-of-aarmorr' feel.

i also think if you can spare it, to add some of that cool amrmor type detail on the back. It looks really cool from the front, but looking at it from the back makes it kind of boring.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    that's cool. i dig.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    'raaahhhh fucking lots-of-aarmorr'

[/ QUOTE ]

haha! that cracked me up

Thanks for the comments guys. Once i started playing with the design on the back i realized how much it added to the design and realized i was slacking on that part. You guys were right on the money.

I did a quick paintover, keeping with the flow of the armor.
    backdetail.jpg

side view is also due for some love as fritz and moose pointed out.

Looks like i have some tweaking ahead of me still. Next step after i get this down will be figuring out how the hell you guys do those crazy high poly techy bits for you normal maps...er...pior? crazy.gif
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so today was "experiment with custom brushes" day. still working on the armor i swear...

ive been lurking on mythic's warhammer mmo site and drooling over the art on there. Always been a big WH fan and im glad to see those guys are doing it justice.

BTW, whoever had the idea to have a squig herder class...I love you <3 Just had to do some fanart

gobbopreview.jpg
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    Hey man that Squid Herder is looking hawt!!!
    I can't wait for the model.

The back armor is also a huge improvement.
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome Armoured Guy there. What are you going to use him in?
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    haha, i love goblin and his meat ball.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks dudes!

Oh yeah, i dont suppose any of you heard about that guy that escaped from prison in VA and killed a cop and a security guard? Well i know that guy, went to highschool with him and used to get into arguments with him over his asinine political philosophies at the local coffee shop all the time. This week has been weird for me to say the least...

anyway...working on a million things at once as usual

arduingunnerflats.jpg

great suggestions on the back needing work...made a big improvement i think. Low poly is done now...time for textures!!

Zenarion: I didnt have a perticular engine in mind actually. He is part of my pet story project, incidentally entitled "the Chaos Eidolon" smile.gif

And more gobbo 2d

goblinconcept.jpg

I am actually almost done with the low poly of him, but im at work slacking off so ill have to post that tonight when i get home.

Edit: Posted this in "what u werkin on" but ill put it here too for completeness' sake

goblinprev.jpg
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah so...lose all productivity when im dating..

anyway, heres some progress on the old stuff. nothing new just more finished. Getting things rolling again.

front1.jpg

thusfa6.jpg

please crit if you have em!
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    hey chaos, I'm really liking the 3d goblin, the painty texture is a great feel so far. Though, I think it's starting to loose the painterliness in the feet, if that makes sense. The body, especially the fur has a warm painted feeling to it. On the feet, there's less contrast in the concept painting, and I think that's spot on. The concept is great! I actually prefered his hands in the earlier versions. Anyway, Ithink it looks cool.. I would like to give you some good crits, but I am too tired and out of whack right now, I'll check this out again later this weekend.
  • MRFlynn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRFlynn polycounter lvl 18
    Brilliant stuff Chaos, particuly impressed with your low poly human, but the heavy guns support is simply GREAT! My only gripe is the thighs and back seem to be lacking something to break the big shapes up.
    Please for the love of god animate it wink.gif
    Keep it up and I hope all goes well for you.