Home Technical Talk

Can't get remoted computer to bring up Maya

FightingChance
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
FightingChance polycounter lvl 17
My roomates and I have a computer hooked up to a TV that I'd like to set up to be able to render Maya scenes so that we don't use our own machines. One problem; when using Windows XP's built in Remote Desktop Connection to connect to the computer with an admin level account, Maya won't start because it complains that there's no license file. However, when I log onto that computer right there at the computer using that admin level account, Maya can start. What am I missing here?

Replies

• pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    I HIGHLY doubt Alias would allow Maya to be ran under Remote Desktop. In therory you could install maya on something like 2003 serve. Then have multiple people using Maya remotley, all on one license.

Normally a render slave is done by running Maya from the command line. You submit your scene to a render manager like Spider or Smedge and it fires of maya via the command line. Command line render doesn't need a license, so you can run it on a whole farm.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    well, on unix, it's common practice to start maya over X per remote login (for interactive sessions). there are setups in some companies where the app itself resides only on the network server, not the artist machines.

can't image that this would not work elsewhere. unless, of course, remote desktop connection does something totally different. if maya complains about files that it cannot find, you might have a path problem, perhaps there are options for this remote desktop connection?

but yeah, rendering should be automated, by command line or else.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    My roomates and I have a computer hooked up to a TV that I'd like to set up to be able to render Maya scenes so that we don't use our own machines. One problem; when using Windows XP's built in Remote Desktop Connection to connect to the computer with <font color="red">an</font> admin level account, Maya won't start because it complains that there's no license file. However, when I log onto that computer right there at the computer using that admin level account, Maya can start. What am I missing here?

[/ QUOTE ]

It must be the SAME admin account unless maya was installed with a multi user licence. You could try searching for the maya licence file and copying it to the same folder on the machine you are using as the remote PC. I don't really think it will work tho.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    I can run Maya7 at work while using remote desktop from home? Slow as shit though so it is useless.