Home General Discussion

Welcome to George Orwell's future.

sledgy
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
sledgy polycounter lvl 18

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/08/07/terrorism.technology.ap/index.html

Divers with explosives? Someone's been watching too much James Bond. Where have all the sane people gone?

Replies

• Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Where have all the sane people gone?

[/ QUOTE ]

To canada!
  • Mark Dygert
    They all climbed into thier bunkers about 6 years ago when B. jr was elected. They emerged 2 years ago only to find out all the insane people had elected him again and went back into hiding. Hopefully 2 years from now they will come and restore order...
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    So,these camera's will detect explosives, just before they're detonated...killing those around it, but giving us great footage to share on the internet. Way to drain those funds.

How many attacks on US soil since 9/11?
    How many will this prevent?

Maybe if they tackled a larger issue.
  • Ryno
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Now, if only they could mount those Half-Live gun turrets right under the camera we wouldn't even need police or a military any more!

I'm sure that would work really well, except for the odd malfunction now and then.
  • McIlroy
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    Wow getting closer to 1984/V for Vendetta everyday . Im pretty sure that if we had another major terrorist attack in the US we would go under complete Marshal law . Well it was a nice country while it lasted :-/
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    I doubt there will be another major terrorist attack in the US. The attacks on 9/11 were an attack on US government and business. Look at a list of all the companies located in the WTC. Many people died...but American citizens were not the target. It was America itself. The leaders of these terrorist groups admit this. It was a small group attacking a large globally influential capitalist empire that meddles in Middle Eastern lands. And the wound is still bleeding, so they succeeded.

To summarize...I'm not a afraid. And I don't want to live in a country that governs by fear.

This technology is a waste of time and resources. You need to end the cause of terrorism, instead of preventing isolated acts.
    Otherwise, you're only using headache pills for a brain tumor.
  • steady
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    e4cd5177c7e797037a2a10ee0e5c11f9.gif
    I'm a tumor, I'm a tumor I'm a tumor I'm a tumor!
  • Asherr
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    1984? V for Vendetta? martial law? wow you people are really really paranoid.

hasn't London had a video surveilence system in place for years? are they on the edge of Big Brother? i would think not.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    yeah the whole of england buddy... there's a insane network of CCTV cameras everywhere, from the largest city to the smallest town, no where is unrecorded. And I'm not joking (as other UKers can attest)
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    You know, while we are on the subject, I just have to recommend this great book I found.

Chatter: Dispatches from the Secret World of Global Eavesdropping

(Book on CD version for people who dont have time to read it [me wink.gif])

Its a excellent read that goes into the past and present of the NSA and explores items like NSA bases around the world and host contries sharing of information, communication spying technology, where privacy begins and ends while contrasting this to the amount of secrecy needed for national security.

Seriously, its a unbiased book thats a great read and the writer has a good sense of sarcasm. Even you would like it Asherr.
  • snemmy
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    quickly!
    drink the kool aid before they get you!
    there's no time to delay!
    DO IT NOW!
    THEY'RE IN YOUR BASE!
    THEY'RE KILLING YOUR MANS!
    OH GOD YOUR NEXT!
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    RED ALERT!!
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14280416/

red means it really could happen this time.
    red is the color of anger.
  • Paul Jaquays
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    yeah the whole of england buddy... there's a insane network of CCTV cameras everywhere, from the largest city to the smallest town, no where is unrecorded. And I'm not joking (as other UKers can attest)

[/ QUOTE ]

On my recent honeymoon trip to London, the tour guide on a bus tour we took talked about the cameras constantly, in between rounds of babbling about global warming, her dislike of personal automobile ownership, impolite young people, the lack of English people in London, etc. Occasionally we even heard bits about the places we were going to visit next. confused.gif
  • sledgy
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Well this has become suddenly very relevant due to this morning's thwarting of plane bombs. Did the UK cameras spread across the country have anything to do with catching the suspects?

One thing that really bothered me during a trip to the west coast last fall was that I had forgotten to remove my swiss army knife from my carry-on luggage. Airport security failed to find it even with the X-ray equipment on both legs but on the return leg, I was coming through security and a large woman with a thick creole accent was demanding I remove my shoes but I couldn't understand her so she got very angry and demanded I step out of line to have my running shoes removed and tested for explosives. Really how hard would it be to make a lump of C4 look like a laptop hard drive and conceal traces of it? Maybe cameras just make people -feel- safer because honestly I really don't see how they could actually make you safer.
  • Ryno
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Well this has become suddenly very relevant due to this morning's thwarting of plane bombs. Did the UK cameras spread across the country have anything to do with catching the suspects?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that they've had the cameras since before the current islamic terrorist paranoia. I'm not sure if their installation had anything to do with IRA activity originally, though.

My brother was working over there in the late 90s, and told me a funny little story about a rowdy drunken friend who got out of the pub, then started jumping on the tops of some parked cars. My brother and his other friends finally got him down, and walk him home, maybe 10 blocks away. As soon as they drop him off, some cops stroll around the corner, walk right up, knock on the door, then site him for vandalism of some sort.

My brother asks them, "How the heck did you know he was here, and that he was the one causing trouble?" They point to the camera in front of the apartment, then the next camera down the block, then the one at the corner, etc.

Apparently the cameras aren't always being watched. But around the times that the pubs are letting out, the ones in front of the bars get a little extra attention.
  • Ferg
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    they still dont scan checked luggage... am I the only one that sees this as a gaping security hole? Or are all the cargo holds lined with adamantium now?

That and the fact that sticking something between a pair of out-turned DVDs seems to hide just about anything from the xray machines.
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    looks like i'll be picking this up:

newspeak.jpg
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    kind of sidetracking now but:

a guy I'm taking to court (for not paying me) used to entitle his emails "without prejudice" at the top under the belief that such emails couldn't be used in court and he could basically say any damn thing he wanted.

wrong! The court accepted all of these emails as evidence smile.gif yay!
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

On my recent honeymoon trip to London, the tour guide on a bus tour we took talked about the cameras constantly, in between rounds of babbling about global warming, her dislike of personal automobile ownership, impolite young people, the lack of English people in London, etc. Occasionally we even heard bits about the places we were going to visit next. confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I often find it odd when tour-guides, teachers or other persons that disseminate information to others, chip in their personal hates. We used to get this at school a lot from the teachers when I was young. The teachers were so damn opinionated, and often wrong!

This appears to be an English trait... laugh.gif

I'm sure you noticed but London is a measly 48% (or so they say) English nationals. Kids really are a fucking nightmare in that town, some places are totally no-go.
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I think the worst bit from that story was the scanning for distress bit. So if you forgot her birthday again and are on the way home you'll suddently get detained by State, er, Homeland Security?
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Did the UK cameras spread across the country have anything to do with catching the suspects?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the suspects for the train/bus bombings last year were identified from CCTV footage filmed on the public transport network.

Not sure if it played a part in the recent investigation and arrests, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if CCTV evidence was used in some way.