Home Technical Talk

Maya to Max while keeping topology

SkullboX
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
I've got a maya model as .obj which I assume is in quads as the screenshots provided show it that way. When I import the file in max 7, it's in tris (and needing lots of edge turning). Does anyone know of a way to port a model from maya to max while keeping the original topology?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    hhhmm well, this probably doesn't help you too much, but I'm certain that the triangulation is being done on the max side. Since a maya>maya obj doesn't triangulate. Are there any .obj import options from within Max?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I imported plenty of OBJ's from Maya to Max last year, they all kept quads fine... I was using Max7 then too, so I don't think it's the importer's fault - I just checked the options and there's nowhere that lets you choose between tris or quads.

Have you tried converting the meshes directly to EPoly as soon as you've imported them?
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks guys.

[ QUOTE ]
    Have you tried converting the meshes directly to EPoly as soon as you've imported them?

[/ QUOTE ]Wow I feel stupid, this was indeed all that was necessary... I didn't realise edit mesh is appearantly still the standard for importing. Thanks Mop! smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I'm guessing you have the "Show all triangle edges" option turned on in the Customize -> Preferences -> Viewports tab -> Configure Driver window... if you do, try turning it off, and when you import the mesh, it should appear in quads even though it's still EMesh.
    The "Show all triangle edges" option only affects EMesh and not EPoly, if I remember right.
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, I guess this is related. I tend to get normals weirdness when I export .objs between the two programs, does anyone have a good fix?
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Zergxes, are you using Zbrush? Its the only application that I have found that screws with normals frown.gif
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, but I've had the problem with just moving something from Maya to Max as .obj. Maybe my versions are just too old.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    What do you mean by "normals weirdness" ?
    I've had some elements come in with faces flipped before.
    Often any smoothing group errors (hard/soft edges, normals etc) disappear when you convert to EPoly right after import.

Usually running Unlock Normals and Freeze Transformations on your objects right before export from Maya should fix up most potential problems.
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D'oh! I'll try that, MoP. Thanks a million!