Home Technical Talk

Model Optimization for next gen.. feedback?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
In my continuing quest for perfection.. and getting my polycount lower in zbrush to allow for the next sub-d level, I have been deleting uneeded items from the character I can create and normal map separate like the teeth in example.

At this point I have tennis shoes on the character with separate shoelace objects. My initial plan was to burn the shoelace height via a normal map on the low poly shoes "surface", however I realize now this wont look correct. Can I instead add a curved plane that follows the surface geometry of the shoe that I burn the normal map unto and mask (somewhat like hair)?

I also was thinking of an idea for the eye tonight. I was wondering after burning the high poly eye with the cornea unto a sphere as a normal map, then in the texture (not gloss/spec) channel mask out the cornea and have a separate concave 6 sided ever so slight cone that I texture the iris and pupil unto inside the eye behind the cornea. I thought this wouldnt add much to the polycount, but could possible add to the depth and realism to the eye...

Yea? Nea?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Both would work OK. Though you would probably incur an extra couple passes for the smooth transparency.

The eye effect is fun to think about. With separate iris geom, you could have a glossy reflection for the cornea that overlaps the iris area, so the reflect doesn't indent there, but then you have to pay the transparency cost. Also probably separate surfaces that have to be sent to the vertex cache independently.

On the other hand you could make a single sphere surface and use a normalmap-only iris to get that lighting but have a glossy reflection that simply ignores the normalmap, so it follows the cornear curvature instead. No transp cost, but possibly more passes.

You need a profiler, so you can figure out firsthand what is worth the costs.