Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

StarCraft Siege Tank WIP

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
This is intended to be SubD, but being my first go at that stuff I wimped out in most places on it. It was done for fun in preperation for the upcoming CGI fan-film based on StarCraft (if you like SC and are a decent modeler, join us!)...
siege_tank_early_wip.png

Clearly a WIP (missing a LOT of geometry), but I don't think I can finish it because I made so many mistakes starting out. I'm still having a real problem with the cannon cap thingies--I can't get the boolean-subtracted hole to mesh well. How do you guys use cut geometry in non-SubD polys? Do you just cut edges until every vert created by the cut is connected? (Is there a faster way?)

Wires:
sc_st_wip.png

Done in about 8 hours over the past few days. I feel like I rushed it, but isn't that rather slow for the result I got?

Thanks in advance for any c&c!

Replies

• hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    no reverse or turning corners on that thing then I take it?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    why no reverse or turning corners?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I think because the treads only grip one way
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i suppose tongue.gif but its part of the original design aint it
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think because the treads only grip one way

[/ QUOTE ]

That wouldn't effect turning then, only reverse. Well, you wouldn't have as tight of a turning radius when you're at a complete stop, but it wouldn't make a difference when turning while moving forward (since the only time you'd put a track in reverse to turn would be when you're stopped).
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    Who needs reverse when you have a Mjolnir Artillery Cannon!? ( yeah i had to look that up...im not THAT big a geek)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Who needs reverse when you have a Mjolnir Artillery Cannon!? ( yeah i had to look that up...im not THAT big a geek)

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah right ;D
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'll just uh, put some vertical treads in the center part of the track then so you guys can have your reverse :P (and yes that's what the treads looked like in the concept art i referenced from)...

so you guys don't use booleans or something? is that something polycounters generally avoid?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    if you want crappy mesh sure go ahead laugh.gif looking nice eheh , make it justice !!! starcraft rules !
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hey by the way I don't care about the track orientation I was just guessing at hawkens statement tongue.gif
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dang I totally didn't know about this! Everyone I ask hates booleans--I'm just now finding this out frown.gif

rooster: yeah i know man, it's cool smile.gif It's just funny that you guys had this little debate about tank movement after I asked about booleans tongue.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Normal chains don't grip at all AFAIK. They just lie on the ground and the wheels grab into them. The surface area covered by the tracks should be sufficient to allow reverse on all but the worst terrain conditions.

Is it really supposed to be that large? A tank that size would be a nightmare to transport, supply or prevent from being a prime target on the battlefield. Its size would make it harder to maneuver in difficult terrain (i.e. with vertical obstacles you'd have to drive around) and it wouldn't be able to take cover behind a hill or wreckage easily.

And um, what's holding the wheels inside the tracks? I can see at least four wheels that aren't connected to the body of the tank on each side.
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    Play starcraft much KDR? The tank is supposed to be overly gianormous.

But I do agree that the wheels need to be connected to the main body, or else the thing just wouldn't go...

EDIT: Though on a quick search I just did I found this concept:
    art19.jpg
    From Blizzard's Starcraft Ghost screenshots section. It seems that the wheels aren't very connected on the concept either.

And what I got from Hawken's post waas that it looks as if the engine that drove the treads only looks like it would be suited to be just under the cannon, and therefore only driving the back treads, thus making turning nigh impossible. Then again, I'm usually wrong when it comes to things like that..

Now, if I were to have been this particular concept artist, I probably would have put those spikey looking treads facing backwards on the inside half of the treads. that way you have just as much grip going forwards, as backwards without too much slowdown from having backwards treads (beacuse it seems that they're angled in such a way that they collapse when on the ground)...
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Runner: That's a fantastic idea! (to have the middle spikes facing backwards.) And that image is the exact same one I used as main reference--that and a couple screenshots from StarCraft: Ghost.

KDR: As I said in the parent post, I'm missing a lot of geometry including anything connceting the wheels to the body as well as anything to hold up the turret shield pieces.

Proportions are still off a little so I'll be fixing that as well. I'll resurrect this thread once I get enough patience to bring this thing back to life (taking a break from it for now).

As for turning, imagine this: A drive chain being looped around the wheel of the front treads back to the engine, so if they back treads move, so does the front, like this:
    sc_tank_chain.jpg

At the moment the treads are hanging in mid-air, but I haven't thought of any realistic solution. And ideas?
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    No ideas. I thought about it for a good 20 minutes too (hey, for a teenager thats a long time). But ya know, the Warthog from Halo technically couldn't work either with that suspension system, so who gives a crud? I'm sure you'll think of something and it'll all work out.
  • michalczyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    michalczyk polycounter lvl 17
    Looks like a good concept to start with.