Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

No more freaky faux-anime style o_O

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Wendy de Boer interpolator
Last week I've been working on redoing an old texture of mine. Without much further ado, here's what it looks like now:

chinatsu_render.jpg

100% self illumination:

chinatsu_self-illumination.jpg

Flat:

chinatsu_texture.jpg

And for comparison, here's the old version. Looking at it now, the face is just horrible. I don't know what's up with the clothes either... looks more like a concrete texture. confused.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/wayuki/chinatsu_yucky.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/wayuki/chinatsu_yucky_texture.jpg

Replies

• Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Nice butt crazy.gif
    Only thing i dont like about her are the side openings of her pants and boobs lack some weight, ofcourse that could be because she wears some super push up bra or something.
    Also now that i looked more at her i think her knees might be little too low.

edit: forgot to say that i really like the balance between realism and cartooniness and her somewhat doll like face.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, huge improvement in the texturing there!
    Hair could maybe do with some sharp dark lines, but the rest has a really nice style - not ultra-realism, but not basic anime either, a tasteful mix.
    Keep it up smile.gif
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    how about some cooler colours in the deep reddish tones of her face, give it almost a rim light effect.
    not sure how those side opening would work either. they would just make her trousers fall down, unless they were stapled to her belt or similar
  • flow3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flow3d polycounter lvl 18
    she's so cute, she makes me want to hurt myself!
    only pain will bring be closer to her!....a tad sick perhaps
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Wow. Nice goin DP. I haven't seen anything like this from you.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    good job, nice improvement!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Her one eye looks a wee bit too far to the side of the head, maybe bring it in a couple pixels.

and her boobs look like they're on an invisible shelf.

those two crits aside, I think its a sweet update, good way to show your progress, too.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    wow, really awesome DP! cute character smile.gif
    great improvement over the last iteration.

my only little crits are to try a very tiny shadow around the interior edge of the pants. just to help 'pop' them away from the skin a little and add some depth there.
    second is the badge/medal in the 3/4th shot bending over the breast breaks illusion for me. maybe move it up more on the flater part of her chest and see how that looks.

nice butt! wink.gif
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    I know you were just working on the texture, but the proportions seemed alittle off to me so I thew it in photoshop for a shoddy paintover. Couple changes were shrinking the head and pulling the hips out some (to match the shoulders more, trying to counteract the broad looking shoulders). You could instead push the shoulders in if you don't like the hourglass figure.

demonprincess_chick.jpg

Texture-wise, awesome job. Huge improvement over what was a pretty bland texture.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Great work DP. I love it. Nice improvement.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    woah for a second I thought you did pete burns

I think the back of the hair where the middle strands meet look a bit odd
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    yeah nice texutre dude..and spacey has some excellent points there...do that
  • Kyraal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyraal polycounter lvl 17
    You've caught the materials very well, I think. The leather looks a lot like faux leather, which fits nicely with this futuristic concept. Breasts do seem a bit gravity defying, but maybe she's got some anti-gravity implants?

Hip size looks just fine to me. Plenty of women don't have that kind of wide hips that Spacey depicts, and the current look fits her very well. It's easy to go overboard with it, and end up superwide hips and ultraslim thighs as in e.g. comics like Witchblade.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments everyone! I think I'll call her finished for now, though. I already put her in the layout of my emergency portfolio: http://www.wayuki.nl/portfolio/
    I'd rather fix up the other textures first and make some new stuff as well. It's rather barebones (read: crappy) ATM. It's also a very weird mix of artwork, but I'm applying at anything vaguely art related. poly137.gif

@Toomas: I don't think the knees are too low, it's just the perspective view throwing things off a bit. Here's an orthographic view:

chinatsu_ortho.jpg

As for the boobs, I blame it on comics. laugh.gif

@Ruz: Yes, the idea is that the pants attach to her belt in some way. The deep reddish parts are almost completely covered by her hair, which is also reddish... I think it works like this.

@Sectaurs: The eyes are actually an eye's width apart, they're just very large. I think bringing them closer would look strange. I do think her one eye is slightly shifted to the right, but so are the other features on that side. Hey, who's perfectly symmetrical, anyway? crazy.gif

@snemmy: I did try to move the badge elsewhere, but then the placement is just ugly. I think the only way around it would have been to actually model it on.

@Spacey: The model is about 7 heads tall... not exactly heroic, but it's within the ranges of normal. Also, according to a plastic surgeon, the hips line up with the side of the breasts, ideally, though they can be as wide as the shoulders. So again, I think the hips are within the ranges of normal.

@CheapAlert: I agree about the hair, but I couldn't get it any better with the mirroring there.

@tremulant: Thanks man. On a side note though... I'm a dudette, LOL. femme.gif
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Hip size looks just fine to me. Plenty of women don't have that kind of wide hips that Spacey depicts, and the current look fits her very well. It's easy to go overboard with it, and end up superwide hips and ultraslim thighs as in e.g. comics like Witchblade.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Had a feeling I overdid the hips after I posted that...
    I completely agree, many real women don't have the "perfect" hourglass shape. I just like the curves grin.gif

DemonPrincess: Looking good. Now start cranking out some work to fill that portfolio up!
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Good job on the model Demon,your chick has personality.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • Kyraal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Had a feeling I overdid the hips after I posted that...
    I completely agree, many real women don't have the "perfect" hourglass shape. I just like the curves grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Just realised I wrote "ultraslim thighs" when it was supposed to be "ultraslim waist". You're right about curves, though, and it's a very subjective thing smile.gif We all have ideals that we prefer, and usually when we see something that breaks those ideals we perceive it as being wrong. Hehe, look at me ramble..

DemonPrincess, you should consider having your portfolio in English. If the Netherlands is anything like Sweden then the people who are going to hire you will be very fluent in English, and you'll increase your chances in getting noticed abroad.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do intend to make an English version as well. I started with a Dutch version, since I'm obviously trying to find work in my own country. wink.gif
  • Kyraal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's the market for game artists like there?
  • culturedbum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    culturedbum polycounter lvl 17
    it looks great so far, nicew butt, the only thing that still bothers me a bit it s the size of her tibia and fibula, i think that if you shrink the femur just a wee bit and extend the tibia and fibula she will look more proportionate.
  • Kyraal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks all right to me. Providing I placed the joint right, which I might not have to 100%. I think when the foot is rotated forward in that fashion, that's pretty much where the heel should met the buttock; just on the lower side of it.

buttkick.jpg
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    What's the market for game artists like there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not very good, I'd say... there's only one major company. So, I'm applying for more generic art positions as well.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IMHO if there is only one big company it might be worth it to do some pieces that fit the style and genre of the games they develope.
    BTW whats their name?
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guerilla Games. And I know I have a lot of work to do before I can even think of applying there. poly103.gif
  • Kyraal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh right, the creators of Killzone. Unless you have something that ties you down where you live (like a husband with a career who's unable to relocate) it's definitely worth considering taking employment elsewhere in Europe. A lot of local studios hire regardless of whether you speak the language or not, as long as you speak English well.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you dont think you can find a local job and dont want to relocate then perhaps try to freelance?
    BTW your pixel stuff is very nice so maybe you should do some DS spec models.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hehey funny, I recently relocated TO the Netherlands for a job laugh.gif So as far as I can tell there is definately another studio : Spellborn/Khaeon, which is were I work. Also Playlogic... but I've heard some not-so-good things about them. Seems like they mostly publish.

Anyways! Nice job DP. Maybe it has been said already, but I think that the eyes still have a tiny touch of that anime style you seem to try and avoid on that piece. I'd be curious to see that character with slightly more realistic ones. Also, I like the hair on the side view but it might be cooler with some assymetry seen from the front.

I love the pants material - and the big hands!
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks muchly for the info, Pior! I'll look into that as well. grin.gif

I wasn't going for perfectly realistic, because the facial proportions of the model are also kinda stylized. So I went with a cartoon-realism mix for this. I do intend to do more realistically proportioned stuff as well... My portfolio really needs it. poly122.gif
  • charger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    charger polycounter lvl 18
    Really nice model and texture you got there, you seem to improve a lot.
    I am not sure how curtain things in your design work. for example the belt is holding up the pants, but how? the eye-pad strap is placed a bit strange and the bracellets look molded around her arms (must have been painfull). I dont mean to bitch....but
    I geuss those things maybe need some more thought next time.

About the job thingy in the Netherlands. Do not forget about Motek, they are doing some cool 3D stuff aswell (only not with games as far as I know). I believe motek has connection with some dutch 3D companies aswell.
    We are trying to organize some stuff in North-Holland (should be intersting for some people from polycount aswell). But I will create my own thread for that :P.

greetz charger