Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Accurate modelling

MatOaf
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
MatOaf polycounter lvl 17
i am trying to improve my modelling accuracy so i have once again gone back to the asian woman model who i have now named Xaiyo, i am following a picture ref of how i want her to look like but i don't feel that i am getting her likeness locked down. Here below is what i got so far, also the picture ref i am working from.

xaiyofacewireframelatestkw9.th.jpg

any comments or advice would be more than welcome

Replies

• thnom
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Why are using such a poor reference? I suggest you start with that and get some proper reference. It is far too small to work with.
  • MatOaf
    Offline / Send Message
    MatOaf polycounter lvl 17
    Yes you are correct Thnom the picture reference is quite small, I chose Akira Gomi's selection of photo references as he is notable for taking photos of people of western as well a eastern cultures,

I chose this particular picture as this person suited the concept i wanted to adhere to for this particular model.

i have tried to search through his work but have been unable to obtain a big picture references of this particular female's face.

Though couldn't i use it as a reference maybe i could use it to make a head texture from scracth.

though yes you maybe right i may have to start again
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    better to find a reference that has more than one view
  • Penzer
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    If you really have to do that particular face, and can't find a higher rez, you could always do a paintover in photoshop so that you have a higher res. If accuracy is your goal, having other views is definately a must.
  • fogmann
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    Ideally, and especially if you're just starting out with achieving likeness, you should pick a person to model that you can find many references of, in various lighting conditions, so that you can get better idea of the form of the face and its features. I'm sure it will be very hard for you create model with likeness if you are using a single reference that is front view and has very flat lighting. Perhaps you could pick a famous Asian actress that you can find many images of, like Ziyi Zhang, Faye Wong, Maggie Cheung, Karen Mok etc... That way you can take snapshots from movies and get yourself some extra references.