Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Demetris

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
praetus interpolator
I've been working on this project for some time. He's 3700 tris and I'm still working on textures as well as animation stuffs.

DemetrisWires.jpg
D3.jpgD1.jpg

Replies

• Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    The design of the character baffles me. Why does a bird character have mechanical spider legs? The top half looks medieval and the bottom sci-fi. It'd be nice to see some of that high tech-ness on other parts of him (the head, that massive collar, his armor, etc).

The texture could benefit from some contrast. Right now his body/clothes/armor/feathers look washed out (unlike the metal legs which "pop"). Also on texture, the legs have a noticable pixel density difference than the rest of him.

Aside from that, the head rocks and has tons of character. It'd be nice to see more of that style throughout the model.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with what's been said already, just want to add that the little emblem on the piece of uhh cloth? hanging between the legs looks completely odd.

It looks like you pretty much filled in an area with grey, then used a bevel on it (which I'm guessing is just what you did). It looks completely out of place, and makes what I'm guessing is supposed to be a cloth texture look more like stone.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I like the idea but you should either apply selfillumination to all surfaces or none, currently it looks really weird.

Also I'd add more shading to the texture and some less harsh transitions between materials, at least some AO shadowing.
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    To me it looks like big bird from sesame street, with some wicked implants.
    The emblem does look solid, so applying a normalmap to it, to make it look like a piece of metal would be a good idea IMO.
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmmmm......Dark Crystal?
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    heh, while Dark Crystal is one of my favorite movies, I didn't plan for it to come through in the model. Guess it did anyways. I posted this on cgtalk as well and have gotten some of the same critiques. I'm going to remake the UV layout as well as texture sheet. Also, I have started to remake key parts of the model as well.

Reworked the armor as well as the arms. That way it isnt so much just thrown together. I'm going to redo the seater as well although the legs will remain the same
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    HHHHAHHHRHHHHMRRRMMMMM???????

lol.

i really enjoy the shape of the face, but the body kind of bothers me, seems bland. overall though its a pretty cool critter

The texturing could use some work. Something to always keep in mind is to not only create the textures to work harmoniously with the mesh, it also needs to work with itself, including seams and all. The level of desaturation is consistent, and surface texture is consistent (although low), but there arent any transitions between surfaces ie:

His shirt just kinda 'stops' at the uv seam. you could continue the flesh down a bit onto the chest, and rip the shirt up a bit, or pull it down a little so it has a smooth line instead of a harsh line. also with the feathers on the side of the cheek, to have them move into the face a little bit. easing transitions, and having transitions between surfaces is good, whether is a clean break as flesh to cloth/leather and metal, or a dithering type thing between scaly skin and feathers, it will really help out.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I'll echo what everyone else has already said: Head is great, the rest sort of 'blah'

You might consider releasing the head in the 'Release the Heads' thread, so we could all have a shot at texturing it.

The legs need to be connected in some semi-believably way to the body/base dealie... even if they just had some sockets to go into, it'd go a lot farther than the slab sitting on ball joints. I think the overall design could work, you just need to put a wee bit more thought into it.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    no no, skeksis friends, mmmhhhhhhmmmmmmm.

Some quick photoshop on what I may change in the walker

Walkerconcepts.jpg

Walkerconcepts1.jpg

I'll have o check out this head forum you speak of. It'll be neat to see what people post in it as well.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Walkerconcepts2.jpg

Went with the walker concept without the chair. Woooooooo
    I still need to beef up the legs though.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    UV unwrapped and started with texture work again. Lemme know what you think. Same layout as last post but the legs are beefed up a bit as well.

D4.jpg
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    more texture work

D5.jpg
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    coming along well. Could use some tightening up, and push the highlights... its all very flat right now.

It also feels like you're wasting a chance to use some really fun colors, instead of the drab caucasian skin tone you've gone with.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    yea, i think the form of the model is great but the texture isn't pushing it.. in fact it's actually flattenning it, like sectaurs pointed out.

those eyes are sitting pure in those sockets but the rendering doesn't support the structure. it's like it's there.. but it's not there. so like he said ^^ push the form with the light and the curves. and adjust levels in photoshop isnt enough .. gotta paint wink.gif