Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Alien sentinel

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
EmAr polycounter lvl 18
This is an alien sentinel who guards a robot factory. It currently has 3262 tri's. It will be optimized however to weigh nearer to 3000. The tube and hose are his breathing apparatus. He will carry a spear like weapon when I model that too.
Any comments and critique are more than welcome, thanks for reading.
Here's the picture:
sentineluu6.th.jpg

Replies

• Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    I like the half-face mask alot. Really, that is a cool look. But I don't like the cansiter on his arm and would like the idea more if it was on his back. Just my 2 cents.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    I dig. Yeah tubes arent usually fun to rig on game models, putting it on its back will save you some headaches.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    You've got three tight loops on his head that don't seem to be adding anything to the shape.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the replies smile.gif
    I was also somewhat thoughtful about how to rig and animate the tube. So I put it on his back. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Sectaurs, thanks for pointing those loops out, I somehow forgot them there, I destroyed the loops where the guy's face ends.
    I also made a weapon. Though I removed some vertices from the area where the blade meets the handle after I took the screen captures.
    Here's how it looks now:
    sentinel2cq6.th.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    pretty cool, but i'm not getting much of an "alien" feel from it ... seems very humanoid, i'd probably try and go further from the basic bipedal body template, if you really wanna make it obvious it's an alien - right now it kinda looks like a mutated man with his head chopped off.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the reply MoP. These aliens need to be humanoid according to the story we have. But after reviewing my work after reading your message I thought it could be the boots what made it look so human-ish. So I tried giving him a pair of naked feet which are similar to his hands. I think it's better now.
    sentinel3lt4.th.jpg
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Looking good. The next thing I would suggest is to stretch his lats down some or stretch his legs up. His 'waist' is to long in comparison, unless that's the look you're going for.

Keep up the good work!
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry for being so late.
    8FtSpider, I was pretty happy with the proportions but I tried playing with the waist area. It's a little shorter now but by a very small difference.
    I started painting the texture now and any comments on that are also more than welcome. The texture is one 1024*1024 and the model is 100% self illuminated.
    textured1ar4.th.jpg
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    The texture is nearly completed(I hope smile.gif ). Also tried enveloping yesterday.
    poserl1.th.jpg