Sci-fi Sniper Rifle

Wokky
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Wokky polycounter lvl 17
gm995-xnormal-1.jpg
gm995-xnormal-2.jpg
gm995-xnormal-3.jpg

I've still gotta change the lenses on the scope and add some ambient shadowing in places. Any other crits or comments would be appreciated. smile.gif

Also, credit to Jogshy for xNormal's marvellous model viewer. grin.gif

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    This looks fine and all, but I don’t see a reason or use of a normal map. It looks like a single diffuse with a possible specular. Maybe I’m missing something here.

What are the triangle counts and texture sizes?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    cholden: I think he was just noting that the renders were from xNormal's model viewer (rather than a Max viewport), not that the model was using a normal map.

I like the base texture for the orangey bits of the gun. It's a nice metal. The scope seems a bit too matte and grainy, though.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, thanks, Slum. On that note, any information on what we're looking at here would be great. :P
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Er - what's so scifi about this gun exactly?
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    i like the shape and look of the weapon but the texture makes it feel as if it were machined from a solid block of iron and the scope looks like it's made of concrete
  • Wokky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wokky polycounter lvl 17
    cholden: Slum is correct, I was talking about the model viewer, sorry for any confusion. The model is currently around the 3,000 tris mark, and I'm using 1024* and 2048*512 maps.

Slum: Thanks. You're right about the scope, I'll certainly change that.

AdamBrome: It's for a realistic sci-fi mod, and the designs are intended to be rather conservative by most standards. The original concept wasn't produced by myself, but I think it's got enough of a futuristic style without looking too outlandish.

snemmy: Thanks for the crits, I pretty much agree with you on both counts. I'll see what I can do to alleviate the problem.

Thanks for the comments everyone. smile.gif
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    with the texture res you have, i would expect to see a lot more unique detail to utilize it. I think you have completely overbudgeted for what you have here. it looks nice, though.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    hmm... have to agree with stoofoo. can we see the wires?
  • KaosNKorruption
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KaosNKorruption polycounter lvl 18
    So, if the gun is blocky, why not make the scope blocky too?