Home General Discussion

Tony Hawk Project 8 Previews

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
Well it's that time again, yes I know most of you aren't fans of licenses, but Tony Hawk is about to release it's eighth iteration, aptly named Project 8. Super Ostrich and myself are the two polycounters involved on this title, and it's been cool to contribute to something that will have such a widespread release and fanbase.

1up preview http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3152411
gamespy preview http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/tony-hawks-pro-skater-8/720745p2.html

One thing I had a heavy hand in, and I'm pretty chuffed about, is the skin shader on all the characters. I can't go into details, but it's one of the reason our characters have a lot of color range in the shading. No pure black shadows or pure white highlights.

If any of you are fans of the series, Project 8 should be a definite buy. (on the 360 of course)

poop.gif

Replies

• Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    The faces look nice. I want to see more screenshots, now.

I was addicted to the last one on the XBOX, but my favorite part was making my own skater (girls with horns rule!!).
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    i very much enjoy the THPS series and can wait to see how this one turns out :0
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Certainly looks cool, and while I didn't like Thug or aw quite as much as the older games I'll be sure to try this one out. smile.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    The compression on the 1up screenshots is shocking.

Edit - Gamespy too - was it the shots supplied? Looks great, BTW.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    faces look good. But it doesn't really show off what the system can do. The graphics don't look like a next-gen game.
    I'm sure it will sell alot of copies to the die-hard fans laugh.gif
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    looks next gen to me. normal maps, check perpixel lighting, check, highres textures, check, soft self shadowing models, check bloom, check. yep its offical looks like a next gen game. only thing that bothers me is how unconsistent the quality of the environments are. some are really awesome, some look like a bad mod project. seems like your environment lead could of pushed for an overall quaility level or got rid of some people. but the characters look great!
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    I love the tony hawk series, for me they are probably the most relaxing game next to super mario or so. I played every game from the series (THPS2, THPS4 and THUG2 are my favorite ones smile.gif ) and am currently hooked on the DS version so I cant wait for this! Do you have any idea if this will also have a pc version? Because I'm not really planning on picking up an xbox360 soon...

I agree on teh quality of the environments though... they went really downward since THPS4 and they arent't very impressive in this one too.

Will the game also feature a crazy outtakes video that has you in it (breaking your ankles skating the ramp or something like that)?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty cool for the most part.
    Like Arsh said though, the environment quality is really inconsistent, some of the textures are very nice, while some look almost like placeholders. Also the style on some of the environment textures is drastically different to the fairly realistic look of the characters. Some of the walls and things look really flat and cartoony.

http://media.xbox360.gamespy.com/media/803/803274/img_3702895.html

The guy in that screenshot looks awesome, but the brick wall in the right-hand side of the background is pretty cheap... there's not even a trim texture topping the wall, it's just bricks sliced diagonally, not to mention the apparent huge texture stretching on the bricks where they go past the water tower structure.

http://media.xbox360.gamespy.com/media/803/803274/img_3702897.html

Also, can you say BLOOOOOOOOM!?!?!? Again, the character looks nice, but that effect is really killing it. I dunno, maybe it works better in motion. I remember the excessive HDR/bloom effect the applied to PGR3 looked really crappy and annoying when playing the game, I hope it isn't the case with this!

Either way, shipped title, huzzah etc wink.gif
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Looks really nice Poopster and Super Ostrich. I saw a video a few days ago of this. Nice to see the overhaul compared to last year. I've been a fan of the games for a long time. Looking forward to this one.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    Keep in mind those caps are prolly from the console itself and not a PC, which usually means the aliasing and junk just doesnt stand up to the standards of PC screen rez that we're used to. Hopefully HD will change that, cause at the moment, all those nice details turn into muddy crap on the TV screen =(

PS Chars look great btw. GJ on those skintones
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Damn I've totally been oblivious for the past few years...I stopped playing around THPS4... I'll definitely keep an eye on this one, thx for the heads up poop!
  • Marisa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marisa polycounter lvl 17
    Wow, I didn't know it has been 8 already. The last one I played was on the N64. It looks great though. Congratulations!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I agree with Mop's crits.

For the most part, the art looks pretty slick. There are some bad spots, for sure. I'm not particularly fond of the animation, though. A lot of it looks WAY too stiff.
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Looks pretty cool for the most part.
    Like Arsh said though, the environment quality is really inconsistent, some of the textures are very nice, while some look almost like placeholders. Also the style on some of the environment textures is drastically different to the fairly realistic look of the characters. Some of the walls and things look really flat and cartoony.

http://media.xbox360.gamespy.com/media/803/803274/img_3702895.html

The guy in that screenshot looks awesome, but the brick wall in the right-hand side of the background is pretty cheap... there's not even a trim texture topping the wall, it's just bricks sliced diagonally, not to mention the apparent huge texture stretching on the bricks where they go past the water tower structure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm looking that section right now, and that brick wall has definitely been updated. smile.gif

The bloom effect is also not that powerful, for sure. I think someone had fun with the full screen tools when taking that shot. smile.gif
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    looks next gen to me. normal maps, check perpixel lighting, check, highres textures, check, soft self shadowing models, check bloom, check. yep its offical looks like a next gen game. only thing that bothers me is how unconsistent the quality of the environments are. some are really awesome, some look like a bad mod project. seems like your environment lead could of pushed for an overall quaility level or got rid of some people. but the characters look great!

[/ QUOTE ]

True this but looks like someone forgot to turn on the AA and soft (not self) shadowing. Characters are looking pretty great nice work.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    I've been watching this game hoping you guys would reinvent the gameplay or graphics. I don't really see anything in the videos that makes me want to buy the game, this franchise was my favourite but now it's sequaled more than an EA title. I stopped playing at Thug2. The lighting on the environments looks really flat, it appears you guys are using real time depth maps?, I'd like to see a lot more contrast in the renders in general. I'm sorry but I'm becoming very picky about environment art and I can't find them impressive unless they have ambient occlusion or radiousity. The characters definately look better than previous games and it is nice to not have their shadow colour go to pure black on the back of the arms, I still don't like the way the board looks, the model looks like the nose is too short there is something stubby looking about it in general. I see that you have incorporated the monster trick moments from ssx4 as well, slow mo, rotate camera, multi trick in air. Pretty shameless, did Gilbert Ngo animate that shit, I heard he was working there, or maybe just for activision?
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good times! Yes Gilbert works here.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, tell him I said hello. I worked with Gilbert on ssx2 and 3.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?type=wmv&id=12017

Commentary on the new gameplay changes in the link above. Blended animation not possible on current gen? Momentom, physics, analog control for monster tricks, I hope that guy with the big mustache that owns the place knows that his producer's are biting ssx hardcore in terms of game design. The idea of catching the trick at the right moment with the trick stick is pretty nifty though, a nice edition.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats guys. Not remotely interested in sports games I'm afraid, but stuff looks great!
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    Cool poop, now when you mention to someone who has no idea about computer games that you make them as a job and they say 'woah, cool! did you make tony hawk??'

You can tell them 'yes, yes I did!!' No more lies or dissapointed faces for you.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    gaps are good. lines are fun.

I just hope the new realistic stuff doesnt conflict with the classic tony hawk 500x combos :P The Trick nailing seems kinda cool... i just hope the controlls arent completely different smile.gif

you guys really, really, really, REALLY need facial expressions. Seeing a deadpan face as someone is doing a crazy gap or grind is kind of a let down frown.gif

that aside, it looks cool, i cant wait!
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    I just saw both interviews and the gameplay video... I'm pretty dissapointed that the game doesnt focus on realism anymore like the trailer was hinting. It's still the skating game where you can effortless do a kickflip to kickflip to boardslide to bs 360 kickflip manual darkslide hardflip to frontside 540 heelflip melon revert...
    I'm wondering what that "other" skateboarding game Joel Jewett was talking about will be then. Because i'm switching over if theres another game coming out switching to realism tongue.gif. I'm sure the developpers of the rumored other game would piss their pants if they see jewetts MAD STARE from the interview though laugh.gif.

I hope well see a spiritual successor to thrasher skate and destroy... now that was a skateboarding game. A simple trick like a frontside kickflip tailslide was way more satisfying that a 30 trick combo trick in the tony hawk series ever was tongue.gif. It's what i was hoping project 8 would be like.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    i agree with you peris, i got consistantly more pee'd off with THPS after number one, when it became a combo ridden freakfest, with 1 mill scores, i much preffered the direction of Amped, with its stylish reality, then that went the same way frown.gif

i too was conned by the video.

wheres the cruising around looking cool, and finding new bits to trick off mode. its all to in your face, and almost completely against most of the skateboard culture that i know.

the trailer looked cooler.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    i agree with you peris, i got consistantly more pee'd off with THPS after number one, when it became a combo ridden freakfest, with 1 mill scores, i much preffered the direction of Amped, with its stylish reality, then that went the same way frown.gif

i too was conned by the video.

wheres the cruising around looking cool, and finding new bits to trick off mode. its all to in your face, and almost completely against most of the skateboard culture that i know.

the trailer looked cooler.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it's not a game anymore that feels like it was made by skaters like the first games did. It has become another marketing leviathan trying to appeal more to the extreme treehundredsixty degrees cround. THPS2 was probably most true to the skate culture... hell its even partially responsible to reviving it smile.gif. I'd be surprised if they work in classic skate spots in project 8 like they did in the old tony hawk games.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I got American Wasteland on a whim as I hadn't played the game since the first one. I thought it was fun and played quite a bit of it, but it was quite uninspiring. I enjoyed the gameplay just as I did the first one, s'bout it though.

The footage at E3 of the new game had me interested, but after this video I know I'll probably be waiting for another 5 to come up before I'm interested in the series again. Same things I didn't like about AW - which I believe is why I stopped playing - is it was more of the same. The new one looks to be the same thing as before but with a new sweet shield that gives +10 to graphics.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    cool stuff Poopie and SuperOstrich, played some of the earlier versions and liked them a lot, will be sure to have a look at this one smile.gif
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    Project 8 rocks!

Seriously, I love this game. I quit my job at Activision last week, but talked my way into sitting down and playing project 8 for my last two weeks in the office.

The skating physics were being tweaked daily, so I don't know what Neversoft will settle on, but the game is really a blast to play. It nods back to THPS4 with the pro goals that are actually challenging.

NS has it set up really nice where I can have a blast just pulling off one nice clean trick in a spot (because it looks and feels so damn cool), or I can still go ahead and bang out a 15+ million point combo going across the map.

Either way, I loved checking it out over the past couple of months, and I am still looking forward to picking it up at release.

Btw Poop and SuperOstrich, the Stevie Williams model is a huge fan-favorite among the production and testing crowd at Activision.
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo,

Thanks for the kind words. The Stevie Williams model is a favorite around here too. I'll pass along the word to the guy who made him.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    It nods back to THPS4 with the pro goals that are actually challenging.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent, thps4 was my favorite in the series. smile.gif
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    Looking good so far and pretty next gen, the character models are rock solid and I'm guessing the environments are freaking huge. I just wish Neversoft was making something other than “Tony freaking Hawk”, I know it's a huge cash cow for the studio and for Activision but it would be nice to see the studio take another chance on a original IP despite the commercial failure of Gun. There seems to be a lot of talented and imaginative people there and it would be great to see their imaginations let loose on another project. All in all I’m sure you guys are going to make a fun game for the fans and new comers to the series and hopefully Project 8 will sell very well so it can fund future projects other than Tony Hawk!

Marcus Dublin
    Artist – Kaos Studios

PS: I can’t imagine anyone at Neversoft actually working on all 8 T.H. games (“ especially the art staff”) but for anyone that did kudos to them for getting up for it!
    Don’t mind me just thinking out loud on the state of things, blurb!
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Cool! I've been playing TH since the first one, hope the latest isn't as 'all gangster cool and shit' as recent outings as they've been turning me away from the franchise a bit.

As long as theres a classic mode so I can turn off the childish banter I'll be happy though as the strength of the game for me has always simply been to get to pull of more long combos in interesting locations and discover all the little secret doodahs in each place.

Moosey is right though, expressions would help a lot.

r.