Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

jack sparrow

Replies

• Squirmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squirmy polycounter lvl 17
    looks kinda like him. Tone back the reds around his mouth and nose.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    doesn't look like him at all. go easy on the eyes next time.

add some light to the scene.
  • GLandolina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GLandolina polycounter lvl 17
    doesnt look like jack, just a general pirate to be honest.
    can we see a wire so we can comment on it technically?
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    ill show you the pic im trying to go off of
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i decided to go back and redo some of the edge flow of the face, thanks for the honesty, its the only way to get better.
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I gotta tell ya, the edge flow and construction looks ok on its own but I really don't see the point of posting Depp's face next to your mesh. It only shows how much it does NOT look like Johnny Depp. I find it hard to believe that you are modeling over the reference images based on what you posted here.

What is going on with the the shape of his skull? He looks a bit like an alien from the eyebrows on up. I realize you are possibly modeling his hair as part of his skull but you really need to define more where the head stops and the hair starts with your mesh.

Sorry if I sound a bit terse. It's a great start for a head model and with some work it could look more like Johnny Depp. Keep at it.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    getting a likeness is verry hard work, when using reference, be sure to really look at the reference, and not look at what you think to be there, it seems for the most part you used it to line up where the features are, but not a lot for defining the features, example, the bulge at the base of the bridge of his nose. and his lip shape,,

you chose something really tough to acomplish, especialy since its such an iconic character. keep practicing, and listen to crits, you'll get it eventualy
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [img][/img]update4.jpg

just an update
  • Marisa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marisa polycounter lvl 17
    GREAT JOB! But you should try softening up the bridge of his nose a bit, yours seems a little more bony than it actually should be. And the bags under his eyes are a little too big.
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    right on, thanks for the tips, see thats what i want when i post up the pic with the model. I will fix that as soon as I can.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Do you have a good side ref as well? his profile really seems to be hurting.

In the update you posted, look at the back[top?] of his nostrils, that whole area doesn't match the photo at all.

you're also missing the fullness of the apples of his cheek. you seem to have added a hollow there.
  • GLandolina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    right its coming along now, you've over defined his features though, soften the nose, the jaw muscles at the sides and such
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    nice work, buddy.
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ill put up the photo im using for the side and do another side render and see what im missing.
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [img][/img]nose.jpg

Im using both of the photos for the side view but i dont know if he had surgery on his nose or what. It seems in one pic the nose has a more angle than the other, unless the pic on the right is just a painting or something and I pick a bad pic.
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    nose looks the same to me, his heads just tilted.

soften that massive brow-line you've got there now... thats not in either of the ref photos.

you've got his eye socket much too cave-like, it blends into the side of the head, not end abruptly like on your model.

tip of the nose isn't the right shape, it needs to be much rounder

crappy paintover:
    jdepppaintover.jpg
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [img][/img]side-1.jpg
    [img][/img]almostdone2.jpg

just a little update, trying to use the critiques
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    you like large large images don't ya?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    you are focosing more on geting them look like the photos but you forget that depps bone structure is very unique, and from different lightning it seems totally diferent from one view and another. study first and then model.
  • GLandolina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your still VASTLY over detailing him, everything is exadurated.
    the lines on his face are far too deep, the nose is too over defined etc
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Bare in mind that a lot of detail comes from the textures and normal and bump maps. Simplicity is often better than excessiveness. Also, the key to realisim is asymmetry, no face is symmetrical. You seem to be willing to put a lot of time into this so it shouldn't be a problem cloning what you have made and making it less symmetrical. As was said earlier, concentrate on the basic bone structure rather than adding exessive detail.

Keep up the good work
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Bare in mind that a lot of detail comes from the textures and normal and bump maps. Simplicity is often better than excessiveness. Also, the key to realisim is asymmetry, no face is symmetrical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apologies for my bluntness, but that's pretty much total nonsense.

Firstly, you should never EVER do any kind of 'relying on textures' in a high resolution model. If your base geo isn't right (and in this case it is not) then don't even think about textures. Secondly, the key to getting a realistic face sure as shit isn't assymetry (although yes, faces should be assymetrical). It's one word: OBSERVATION.

Snake: Stop posting absurdly large images please. It's making looking at this thread extremely annoying. You've got some good reference there, but you're clearly struggling to interpret it into 3D.

Personally I would ignore the orthos for now. They don't show any bone structure. What you might try is looking at shots that have dramatic lighting that actually show the peaks and hollows of his face. Something more like this perhaps: http://www.rollingstone.com/photos/gallery/6806631/2005_rolling_stone_covers/photo/3/large

If you setup your model with lighting and camera in your viewport the same as in that photograph, and compare to your model, you will see much more clearly how far off you have everything in Z. You are currently totally failing to observe his bone structure. You're just sort of vaugely following some orthos and that aint ever gonna work. Like johny said: study. Forget about your subdivided model for now, just concentrate on your control cage.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Just repeating previous replies:

smaller images please. I'd like to think I'm using a large enough monitor..shouldn't have to scroll right.

the facial structures are too sharp, the valleys too deep. smooth it out. the outside area of the eyebrows fold too hard. Mr. Depp is a very attractive man. I would scrape the barnacles off his rudder anyday. Focus on those features that make him that way. And don't under-estimate the power of a side profile. It looks like you completely ignored it. Resemblance is impossible without paying special attention to all features. If you can find any great reference from Fear and Loathing, that would help you tons.
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Thanks for the help, im just having trouble going from pic to pic and the age of jonny in those pics are giving me trouble to, do i sag the skin or not? Like under his eyes, in some pics that i have the bags are huge(stating the obvisious i know) i wish i can just call him up and say hey jonny can you just get pictures of you rotating your head, thanks... anyway i have the model mirrored for now, i know his nose is slanted and rotated in real life, im waiting to do that until i can weld them together... back to fixing the bone structure.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    depps major uniquenes is the mouth area.
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    Haven't read the whole thread through, just the last few posts so sorry if I'm repeating anything that's been said. Your cheek bones look way to extreme. Yes you can see shadows under his in that photo as well as the one that Daz posted, but the ones on your model look too exaggurated to me. It may be that render, but the forehead looks much too rounded to me. Look at the first image you posted, the one of the fron shot of his face. Look at the silhouette of his head, the shape of his head. The jaw in yours looks a lot more curved than his. You can see in the front view of his face that the corners of his jaw are more like corners. One of your old renders had the corners there, but they were too extreme. It looks like you tried to soften them out, but over compensated.

Faces are really difficult, I still have trouble with them myself. Good luck,
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Bare in mind that a lot of detail comes from the textures and normal and bump maps. Simplicity is often better than excessiveness. Also, the key to realism is asymmetry, no face is symmetrical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apologies for my bluntness, but that's pretty much total nonsense.

Firstly, you should never EVER do any kind of 'relying on textures' in a high resolution model. If your base geo isn't right (and in this case it is not) then don't even think about textures. Secondly, the key to getting a realistic face sure as shit isn't asymmetry (although yes, faces should be asymmetrical). It's one word: OBSERVATION.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for straightening me out on the texture front, I mostly model in low poly for games, although I want to get into high poly model creation, so I tend to rely a lot on textures where I can’t put the detail into the model itself.

As for "observation", I would think it shouldn't even be necessary to mention that, without it you may as well go back to drawing stick figures. I was simply pointing out that he is using a mirror of one side of the face for the other side and hence his model is 100% symmetrical though he mentioned that he intends to correct that one the model is welded. I may be relatively new to this but my point was valid. Perhaps I should have phrased my crit better.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    My point was simply, that the fact that this model is symmetrical is the *last* reason why it doesn't look like Johnny Depp. Yes, asymmetry is important, but it certainly is not 'the key to realism' nor capturing a likeness. That is all.

It is perfectly feasible to create geometry that resembles somebody even whilst it is still symmetrical. Asymmetry should be the last thing to worry about.

Like I said, apologies for the bluntness. I just think you gave misleading advice.
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    Hi,
    Hard job is waiting for You man, I think that Mr. Depp is not so easy to model.For the beginning in HIGH POLY You should choose some other character ( actor )with more personality in a face.
    You know what I mean ?
    For exemple -
    Danny DeVito
    Willem Dafoe
    Arnold Schwarzeneger

Mr.Depp is very soft-sweet in his face (as baby) ,
    that's why
    it will be very difficult to catch his lines.
    look - at this jack sparrow
    - surely a lot of work is done, but ... in my opinion
    this is not Mr. Depp.

Good luck
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Like I said, apologies for the bluntness. I just think you gave misleading advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif No problem, I am not so immature as to take offence to correction. I was wrong and you corrected me, better that than lead the model creator astray wink.gif

I agree with most of the crits here. Depp is not an easy face to model, he is somewhat girlish in apearance (pretty boy) and thus has soft lines that are hard to make out in photos. Add to that hollywoods "clever photography" to hide undesireable traits and you have quite a hard time making it out.

I would say (as previously said) just focus on getting the bone structure right and smooth your creases and lines a bit.
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i went back and removed some edge loops so i can get the basic shape first, im having a hard time to find a good left view of his face, the one i have is hiding is eyes,which well is very important, so ill get back with an update soon.