Home Technical Talk

Photoshop CS2 - slow?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
We recently 'upgraded' to CS2 here at work from CS. Previously we had 7 I think and after going to CS I noticed a substantial performance difference. CS had some great features, but was slower. Now with CS2 I've noticed it's even slower!

Anyone else have this problem? Seems as though any workspace with just a few files open kills PS. I just had it lock up on me, a first for Photoshop in all my use.

Got a 3 GHz pent 4 with a gig of ram, more than enough to run the program just fine according to the box.

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    hm...another reason why i prefer to stick with cs1...
  • Option
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Option polycounter lvl 18
    hmm, I have roughly the same specs as you a 3.4ghz Pent 4 with a gig of ram, and I've never had it crash, other than one time when I accidentally tried to load a lightwave object into it. In fact it's rather zippy, I often have up to 8 documents open with no hit.
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    I had that problem. It has something to do with CS2, converting my 7 prefs. You need to delete your preferences and start fresh. If you have any brushes, patterns etc, you want saved, backup your preferences folder before deleting it.

All your preferences will be in this location. You may have 7.0, 8.0, or 9.0 folders, depending on how many versions of photoshop you went through. "Application Data" is a hidden folder, so in windows explorer go to Tools>>Folder Options View>>Show hidden files and folders.

C:\Documents and Settings\(user name)\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\

Copy them all off to another place, so you have a backup. Then delete all the folders in C:\Documents and Settings\(user name)\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\

Start photoshop, and it should be a lot faster. You can them go to your backup, and copy over things like the Brushes.psp and Patterns.psp files to get your brushes and patterns back.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    I'm running it at home with a much slower computer than you listed and I haven't noticed any problems, seems good at work as well but working with our 16bit textures is fucking slow, it can't handle 2048x2048 16bit even with 2gig of ram.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    CS1 ran slow for me. REAL slow. I narrowed the problem down to Adobe's anti-piracy crap that runs in the background. I gave Chris Cox (PS programmer) crap about it on the Adobe forums. He dismissed it, saying it was MY PC at fault.

CS2? Anti-piracy software isn't installed. Hmm, interesting smile.gif
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Pyromania- I have no photoshop folder in my app data, just acrobat and updater.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    Strangly enough nitzmoff my mate who does illistartio nand works with lots of big images and digital painting pointed out that CS2 is slow.

I havent noticed any probs really myself,maybe loading the odd 3000x3000 image but i guess id lag as well smile.gif.

He advised me when I reformatted a couple of weeks ago to install PS7 and forget about CS2.....I just went against him anyway wink.gif.

John
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Pyromania- I have no photoshop folder in my app data, just acrobat and updater.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well thats kind of odd. Another thing you can do is hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift, then start photoshop. It should ask you if you want to delete your preferences. To backup everything, you could try searching for something like "Brushes.psp" and see if you find where photoshop is keeping your settings.
  • XepptizZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XepptizZ polycounter lvl 17
    It does run haxy on my system whilest CS on my much older system works fine in comparison.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Relatedly, I have CS2 at work and Im having the weirdest issue where undo (either using ctrl-z or from the menu) takes like, 20 seconds or more. Really bizarre. Ring any bells with anyone?
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I upgraded at work from 7 to CS to CS2, and the CS2 doesn't even start. I'll be reformatting soon for that and other reasons, hopefully it'll work after that.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    While we're on Photoshop CS memory typed issues, both my copy at home (CS2) and at work (CS1) suffer from a problem where the program will randomly stop responding, pause anywhere from 5 seconds to two minutes, refresh the screen and then continue.

If it wasn't for the ability to shift windows outside the photoshop app border (a feature thats really helpful when you're working with two screens), I'd switch back to PS7.
  • los
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    los polycounter lvl 17
    did you guys try the 9.01 upgrade patch.. it smooths out a lot of issues..
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I found it slow on my old pc (3.4ghz, 1gig ram) but faster on my mac (2.6ghz 1gig running through rosetta) and even faster on my G4 mac (1.6ghz 2gig)

changing brush size is really slow for me though, which a real pain in the arse.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Hawken: I've noticed that.
    I try to be like Switzerland as far as the PC/Mac wars go, so while I mostly use PC's, I appreciate the features & stability of OSX. There are simple rudimentary things in PS on the Mac that are just retarded slow. On my PC both at work and at home, super fast. I dont get it. Changing brush sizes being the most regular & obvious culprit. SO freakin annoying working on the Mac. I can count "One-Two" before it displays the updated cursor size, and its a practically new machine.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    CS2 doesn't slow down for me at all. CS was really bad, though. I would get hiccups and hangs when painting - not a good thing =\
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Anything from PS7 onwards I've found painfully slow for all of 1 feature. Heal Tool. Nothing in there would I find remotely good that deserves slowness. PS7 felt bloated (in particular with the file browser, CS and CS2 have gotten worse. My PC isn't the best with only 256mb of ram, but what causes such a big performance drop-off?
  • Black_Dog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Black_Dog polycounter lvl 17
    You can bump up the tile size by activating the bigger tiles extension (look in plug-ins/adobe photoshop only/extensions/bigger tiles : remove the tilde in ~Bigger Tiles.8BX to activate the extension). That might help when working with large 16 bit images.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    My PC isn't the best with only 256mb of ram, but what causes such a big performance drop-off?

[/ QUOTE ]

you are officially dropped from this conversation!! laugh.gifconfused.gif

Photoshop needs at least a gig of ram just to paint efficiently.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    yeah, the 9.01 patch fixed a shitload of problems i was having with CS2, and made it actually ok to work with.

There are other outstanding issues to CS2 that i choose to hate, but for the most part since ive gotten that patch it hasnt been too bad.

Texturing and painting with complext brushes on large (2048 + multilayers) textures tends to get a little sluggish, but have since tried to revert back to minimalist layers to fix that.

Ive grown to love and hate cs2, but 9.01 seriously made that possible. It crashes about once a month on me, and when it does it is usually an awesome crash where i lose a bit of work... so i guess i can deal with that, since its awesome.

if you have a second hard drive or partition, try setting it as PS's scratch disk. Most of the memory photoshop uses is scratch iirc.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CS2 locks up ALL THE FUCKING TIME for me here recently. It just goes completely unresponsive. Its horrible, i had to install ps7 just so i can get work done.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    After a reformat, it runs pretty smooth for me. It's not really a practical solution, but in general I try to reformat once a year.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i have a question to all of you having slow phtoshop cs2... do you have network printers installed?

on another forum im in. i had the same thread. and a thing that resolved my problem was.. uninstalling the network printer that i had.. from that point. photoshop was ruuning smothly again. laugh.gif
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slingshot polycounter lvl 17
    Im posting this way too late but this is what I do if I am opening and using huge Photoshop files / photoshop is going slow.

* I go to Edit - Prefences - Memory & Image Cache:
    Change the Memory Usage up to 60-70% but take into note that this will make less ram for other programs.
    Then close / restart Photoshop 4 this to take effect.

& / or

* You can also go into the Plugg-Ins & Scratch Disks Minue and set the Second: to C:\ or which ever one is your
    harddrive with the most space and this will use your hardrive to speed up processes.
    Then close / restart Photoshop 4 this to take effect.

Hope this helps you ....nitzmoff
  • Monstersco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Currently Im using a HP 6200 Xeon duel 3.4GHz w/ 4GB of memory. The slowness in CS2 is KILLING me, Ive contacted Adobe, no help at all. No issues with CS1. What the hell!!!
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    Photoshop sometimes doesn't get rid of its temporary files after it has been closed. I have found that deleting these files from my temp directory results in a performance increase.

[EDIT]
    In 2000 and XP The temporary files can be found in...
    C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temp

They start with "~PST" and end with ".tmp".
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    Just fyi... there are 2 application data folders. Try looking in c:\documents and settings\%profile%\Local Settings\Application Data

You may have to change explorer settings to show hidden operating system files. I dont have cs2, but if you imported settings or have a profile, it's most likely in there.
  • NuclearTes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NuclearTes polycounter lvl 18
    Photoshop CS2 works like a charm on my computer (1,85 ghz, 768 MB ram), but I've heard that hyper-threading can cause some problems in CS2, so you may want to look into that if you're experiencing performance issues.

@thnom: The minimum requirement for Photoshop CS2 is 320MB ram, so 256 MB is just not going to cut it. Adobe recommends at least 384MB, but there is nothing wrong with sticking with photoshop 6 of course.