Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

Ground Zero: A Post-Apocalyptic RPG

jlamb
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
jlamb polycounter lvl 17
Hi there, close to a year ago I posted about a project I'm heading up. Ground Zero is a character-driven, post-apocalyptic RPG being developed as a total conversion for Doom 3. We're still moving along and could use a hand (or 10) if anyone is interested in collaberating on this (link: www.groundzeromod.net)

environment_gizmodus_western_large.jpg

The premise is fairly standard PA material: by 2050, tensions over fossil fuel and freshwater shortages catalyze a scattered global war. At first it's conventional, but soon degrades into genocidal infighting accentuated by several terrorist nukes in Europe and the Middle East. The struggle culminates over the next two decades in a bloody battle between China and isolationist United States, concluded by a nuclear exchange which wipes out most of the worlds remaining infrastructure. Disease, famine, and mass murder in the years that follow nearly exterminate what is left of humanity.

building_kimmo_guardhouse_large.jpg

Now thirty years later, the dust has somewhat settled and small pockets of civilization are appearing in the ruins of old cities. In central former United States, three political factions are attempted to re-build society according to their own philosophies. While all have benevolent and rational intentions, and even see eye-to-eye on some issues, irreconcilable ideological differences force them into conflict. Somewhere in one of the independent cities, the player character enters the world to make his mark (queue grand music).

springhill_february_tower.jpg

The game architecture is however more unique. We are basically building the RPG within the framework of a world building/strategy game. The faction war and city interaction are handled through a transparent 4X-style game played out in a series of turns between computer controlled players. This system handles the creation and movement of armies, growth and development of cities, bidding and shipping of trade goods, political negotiation, and so forth. These events can appear to the player as quests, and as the character grows in power, he/she can have a great impact on how the world is shaped. The game "ends" when one faction dominates the wasteland.

springhill_june_grey1_large.jpg

Thanks to Doom 3's capabilities of doing virtually everything on the fly, these high level interactions can actually determine the appearance of the player's 3D environment. In our last public release we demonstrate the use of "constructors," an addition to the engine by our lead programmer. These allow us to conditionally spawn groups of entities (buildings, characters, props, foliage, lights, speakers) into the map at load time according to whatever parameters we want, such as technology level (pre-war ruins and shacks to newly fabricated high rises), population (number of dwellings and manufacturing facilities, controlling faction (who rebuild in different images), political status (martial law, under siege, holiday), etc. Since this is obviously a huge undertaking, we are building the world with a tileset approach akin to old-school isometric games, providing a highly mutable library of limited art assets.

springhill_june_random_large.jpg
More images: http://www.groundzeromod.net/gallery.html

We have an established production pipeline, forums, chatroom meetings, and have laid out production over a series of milestones into 2007. If you've read this far and are still interested, we are seeking new team members to work with in building up this world. This is a side project for everyone so we do not expect a large time commitment, only a consistent one. Looking for:

Concept Artists to assist in designing architecture, map objects, and props; create landscapes and inspirational imagery for various gameworld locations

Environment Artists who can work with existing concepts and references to model and texture structural tilesets, mapobjects, and usable items

Character modeller/animator to implement a range of body types and interchangable costume parts (MMO style), as well as develop combat and non-combat animations

And although this perhaps isn't the place, we would like at least one more programmer to help develop several major game systems and external toolsets.

-Jonathan Lamb
Ground Zero Project Lead

Replies

• SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    hehe, hows it going Jonathon, how was Brit land when you came here?

starting to look good.

hehe i made those barrels wheels and burnt out cars hehe.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    While it looks like you guys are a talented team capable of doing a lot of cool stuff, your goals are (in my opinion) way too ambitious for almost any volunteer group to achieve. Otherwise, I would have been happy to join up. I know this is a fairly useless post, but I just wanted to give you my point of view why I, and possibly others wouldnt want to join. Its like all the of countless mod groups who think they're gonna make the next mmorpg without realizing how many thousands of hours go into it.

Now, of course I could be wrong, and you all might be committed enough to put in a few years of work, but Im just mildly frustrated that talented teams such as yours almost always seems to get caught up in these huge projects rather than working on making a really good, yet simple game that could be made within a year.

Best of luck to you!
  • jlamb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jlamb polycounter lvl 17
    I understand your sentiment, there are so many ridiculously ambitious startup projects that never amount to more than a grocery list of features and a few weapon renders.

The architecture of this project actually isn't that complex. We're basically building several simple game systems on top of each other that function in a more complex way. One of the most questionable/challenging parts is already accomplished (the "constructors" described above), while the others are prototyped on paper and ready to go into software prototypes.

The core team (myself, lead programmer, and lead concept artist) are completely dedicated to this project and have made steady progress since we officially launched it this last winter. I think we're being pretty realistic with our production schedule, gradually building up assets and functionality with each 2-3 month milestone (accompanied by public releases) which have so far been pretty much right on. We fully expect the Big Picture to start taking form sometime in 2007.

At the very least, this has been a good portfolio building source for contributors even if it doesn't go anywhere wink.gif

P.S. Shepeiro, not bad, not bad smile.gif Sorry I wasn't able to finally meet you in person. Sure you don't have a little free time? laugh.gif