Home Technical Talk

wacom: old or new?

mod
Offline / Send Message
rooster mod
work just got a new a5 intuos 3, and offered it to me to use. However, I already use a bigger (about twice the drawing area) wacom, but it is pretty ancient (Digitizer II)

I'm going to give it a shot and see how they compare, but I'm wondering if you guys think the extra features are worth the size sacrifice, or if its worth sticking with the bigger but clunkier tablet (probably less pressure sensitivity)

Replies

• motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    Well.. I would check the # sensitivity and then go from there. If you are happy with the size you got now and the new one doesnt offer any bigger advantages i guess stay with the old one

(however, always try to sneak away stuff from where you work.. Maybe say you need both and then one will magically disappear from your desk?)
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    use it and find out?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    heh cheers hawken of course I plan to do that. however the work I have over the next few days won't involve much tablet use so I was looking for peoples opinions on how useful the extra intuos 3 doodads actually are and whether they would choose size or sensitivity as the main feature of a tablet
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I use a wacom intuos3 wide, before it an A4 intuos3.

both have insane sensitivity and are literally the best of the best in the tablet world. What size is it? I used an A5 intuos2 for about two years and it was great, although not all that handy for serious drawing.

Anything lower than the A5 (IE the A6 model) is not really worth it, but the A5 model is superb for day to day tasks. I guess drawing on it would be a pleasure compared to a large wacom because you won't have to crop the tablet at all for other use.

Use the side buttons from day one, after a while they will become very usefull indeed. Not using them really is a crime. BTW these intuos3 models have the highest dpi and sensitivity of all the wacoms, so you will get some gains even on a small model.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I'd probably keep the bigger one. I find it easier to work with, and I'm sure even if the old one isn't as sensitive, you probably won't notice much difference except the size itself.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    yeah I'm leaning towards keeping the ol' beige monstrosity.. but the intuos is just so nice! damn apple for starting all their 'make electronics sexy' nonsense

edit: no, damn work for being to cheap to buy a decent sized new tablet! tongue.gif
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    I've found the shoulder buttons on the intuos to be pretty handy in Zbrush.

Ha! Apple is still trying to make ammends to the world for the design of the Apple 2. My old Apple 2c+ looks like the love child of a Gonk droid and a Speak-n-Spell.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I still have a graphire 3 and i do ok with it