Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Torcher

jbrophy
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
jbrophy polycounter lvl 17
Hi All
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have been to a couple talks by the Epic guys on their workflow of their wonderful models for the upcoming Gears of War game and it has truly inspired me to try to create a a model not only in that game's artistic direction but try to use their workflow as well. I have gathered a great deal of resource and will be creating a flame thrower character that I am hoping looks like it could fit into the game. I am happy to say I not only be creating a head, but an entire character this time :P

This will be a learning process for me and I hope others can learn from it as well.

Here goes.

C&C as always. I am doing most of this model from just a rough idea I have in mind and because of this I might go down some bad directions before I complete this.

The first part of the process, create a high poly model that you can then then use to create normal maps from.

Helmet_Perspective3.jpg
Helmet_Sides3.jpg

Replies

• War_Destroyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    War_Destroyer polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Jesse, welcome to Polycount!!! The model is Shaping up nicely, keep going I wanna see more...BTW it's Abdul!!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    this looks like a pretty cool start! hope the rest turns out as nicely as this smile.gif
  • eXpendabLe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eXpendabLe polycounter lvl 18
    I think it looks great.. only thing I might be put off on is the spiderman shaped eyes. just my personal preference though.. keep it up!
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    fallouty. nice.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Hey Jesse, you crazy mofo!

The character's looking great, I'm also curious at the Gears of War workflow. I've been doing some next gen stuff...also been drooling over their work, it'd be nice to see how they go about it.

Looking cool!
    Gav
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not too crazy about the screws all over the forehead but that is just personal pref. Otherwise I think it looks awesome, thanks for sharing!
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Thus far it's looking very badass. I agree with AZ, the abundance of screws is really odd.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Thus far it's looking very badass. I agree with AZ, the abundance of screws is really odd.

[/ QUOTE ]Plus the steep 90 degree edge drop-offs may cause problems come normalmap time wink.gif
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    i think rivets would be more fitting, but they'll probably end up looking the same in the end

i look forward to seeing the rest grin.gif
  • jbrophy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    War_Destroyer - Hey Thanks Hows it going in NY?

MoP - Thanks, me too.

eX - You are the first to comment on the eyes. I do see what you are saying though

Marine - Yeah I fear I have quickly deviated from GOW to Fallout.

G- Heyas man. You are everywhere. The workflow is rather straight forward. Create high poly model with the only concern is it makes a good normal map. Build low poly. Make normal. Do a happy dance.

Astro - Yeah I think I may have gone a little screw crazy. I have them on a single layer and all instanced so I can easily change them if need be.

ebagg - Thanks Screws noted

kat - I did some quick tests with the screws for normals and I think because I have a bevel on them they looked good. How large they end up being on the texture I am not sure. Like I said before this is a learning experience for me. They are all instanced so I can change the master to edit them all at once.

aniceto - Yeah. Thanks

I started working on the large harness the main portion of the chest armor will be attached to.

Helmet_Perspective4.jpg
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    awesome, keep it up!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Kind of neat with all the screws... makes you think its an easily moddable armor. He better have a case of electronics screwdrivers on his suit somewhere, or I'll cry foul.

keep up the good work.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    I think I have to agree with eXpendabLe. The eyes turn it into an evil-looking gas-mask (or anti-flame mask or something, in this case) which is very old and done.

That said, good work, love the detail everywhere.
  • jbrophy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro - Thanks

Sectaurs - Heh. Yeah I have gone a little nuts with them

ComradeJ - I appreciate your concerns. I am really not very good at unique design.

I decided to remove some and shrink some of the collar and start on the under armor.

Body02.jpg
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Looking great!!
    I love the look of this guy, I think the eyeholes and helmet in general is kick-ass, but I don't like those screw heads at all. Those gots to go. They're just busying up the head, distracting from the shape and features of the helmet, and they made the collar look like an Erector set (glad you took them off of there).

Don't get married to an idea or design.
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Really nice. I hope you extend the little bits of crazy detail into the body armor, too. What renderer are you using?
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    The insane amount of detail is awesome! That mask is going to look sweet when normal mapped!

question: you started with the mask, did you make the head first? or start on the googles.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...or start on the googles.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think a search engine will look good on this model wink.gif
  • Fjornsvavne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fjornsvavne polycounter lvl 17
    Looks amazing. As been told, i hope you continue on your neat amount of details with the body as well. Only thing i've reacted on so far, would be that on the last pic the hands seems too small, i think.
    Btw, even though the collar of now looks ok, but where did the coolness of that other one go? laugh.gif With the thing of a cockpitresemblance going on there, and almost as if he had an extra cablike headprotection against those novas he'll be putting out. ;D Looking forward for more! GLHF.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    looks pretty sweet smile.gif keep poping the shapes and keep it looking solid.

I agree with whats been said about the eyes, im not too big a fan of that shape frown.gif
  • Surgey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surgey polycounter lvl 18
    I rather like the helmet and eyes. Reminds me of an Enclave trooper, ala Fallout 2. The screws look a little odd, but it's really cool!
  • cH_aos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cH_aos polycounter lvl 17
    The concept is great, I was just wondering with all of the detail put into the character, if you started with some high quality sketches, to not get lost when modelling.

As well as you were talking about using a workflow inspired from the epic modelers (<3) can you somewhat explain in your thoughts what makes their workflow so good for you, and perhaps briefly tell us a little about their workflow.

Thanks, and keep up the wonderful work! I think its awsome and it will really pimp out your portfolio!

respect
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good, but get some shoulder gaurds in there to balance out that huge collar. and bulk out the arms with gear or something. great work!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I was thinking the same about the collar, but I was assuming there was an outer shell that he hasn't created yet.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Looking good, you ought to try to restraint yourself from polish level detail like the bolts and what not until all the medium detail forms are finalised though.

The fancy clasp that holds the gasmask pipes on the side of the cheek are really strong interesting forms that will generate very good normals , the giant neck/chest piece that forms into the torso however is weak and plain in comparison and as much as I know this could be early formative work, I have also found in the past that these kind of forms can trap you when trying to make things live up to the refinement of more flushed out areas like the head when you have gone too far with smaller polish details before taking care of the overal medium details.

When I focused more on texturing than 3d, I had a mantra of
    'Big brush, medium brush, little brush' that served me well and savaged me whenever I ignored it.

The same has been true for me since I started to focus purely on 3d, these little details cause me to lose my way if I begin on them too early.

Other than that, this looks like very promising work, just try to keep to the correct workflow and remember that 1 soft curve nestled close to 1 tight curve produces far better results than 1 hundred flat bevels.

Looking forward to seeing more.

r.
  • MonkeyLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rorshach:

Sounds like pretty sound advice, thanks for the insight. smile.gif

I have a question for you: what exactly do you mean when you say "1 soft curve nestled close to 1 tight curve produces far better results than 1 hundred flat bevels." I'm not exactly sure I follow...
  • Fjornsvavne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fjornsvavne polycounter lvl 17
    Wise words shared by Rorshach. xD
    Think what he means is that a lively topology describes the surface better than dead linear topology does.. or something. >_>
    Though it doesn't seem that you use that other type of bad method, but always something to have in mind. ~back to fumbling I go~
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, most of your details comes from beveled extrusions. lots of them. instead of overdoing it with those, try making some interesting curved shapes accented by sharp edges.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    The Gasmask biker mask style piece on his face where nose and mouth are underneath, these have soft gradual curves nestled up close to tight sharp curves.

These read well ingame when the specularity hits them, when you push more than 2 or 3 bumps close together, you lose them all into noise though.

The slanted square with rectangle outcropping just in front of the neckline in the first image is a good example of flat extruded surfaces.

You see, you have essentially made the same shape underneath it, duplicated it up above, shrank it and then put 6 bolts there. That won't read well ingame and won't generate a good normal map.

A good normal map is one with lots of subtle undulating mixing of colour, flat bevels and tightly chamfered ww2 style panelling create normals with a lot of medium blue.

It is only the chamfered edge that generates some colour in the normal and ingame that translates to an off or on specularity effect as light moves over the form which will communicate the forms poorly.

When you have more curvy forms, there is always part of the curve that is brightly specular and part that is darkly shadowed which communicates form.

Flat surfaces just middle out and disappear.

Flat panelling was the king of design forms in FPS games in general in the past because they were the easiest to fake with more realism as you could never quite view it at an angle that would expose the trickery so blatantly.

That is not useful now that we need more interesting curved forms to make the normals pop more.

I hope that helps clarify what I meant.

r.