Home Technical Talk

bizarre "unresolved xref" problem

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
danr interpolator
anyone got a clue about this? It's really starting to wind me up

Max 8 : Scene B not finding certain x-ref objects from scene A - they DO exist, the paths are spot on, the names are spot on. I know that, cos they always used to be there. And suddenly ... not.

I'm guessing this is on an object level rather than x-ref node/manager level, cos i've modified the objects in Scene A, but not their x-reffed placements or properties in Scene B. But god knows what - they're just basic editable meshes. Anyone know what might be causing otherwise innocent-looking objects to be unresolved in another scenes x-ref manager?

i'm going mental. Ta.

EDIT - actually, i'm not sure this is on the object level any more ... can make a new x-ref using the same object, inside the same scene, and it resolves it fine. Stupid bloody thing. Oh for the days where we just scrawled paintings of mammoths on our wive's leathery backs ...

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I suppose you've checked Autodesk's knowledge base, webboard, etc.?

From what I've read, Xrefs have always been trouble.
  • tehuti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you had any success with this? I have exactly the same problem - one minute they work, the next you load the file again and there are random unresolved xrefs. I'm assuming the 3ds max xref core is somehow broken but the sdk doesnt include any of the code for it so fixing the problem would be a pretty severe ask. I've fixed numerous problems with the material code but that comes with the sdk so its fairly easy.

I'm relying on xref's extensively so if anyone has any solution or ideas they'd be much appreciated.

ooo.gif
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i did solve it, yeah - simply pathed the whole xref file (right click max file in xref manager, file>browse) to a dummy one, and then back again to the proper one. God knows what caused the problem in the first place
  • tehuti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool...

I also found another resolution which may be a bit safer - quicker: right click on the file which is broken and select "File->Strip Path" - do this for all broken files (doesnt support multiple selection .. argh) and then multiple select all files you stripped the paths and select "File->Resolve Path to UNC Location".

So long as your max paths are set up correctly this works also. Go figure?
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    If this is the same problem I have all the time, then I have a fix for it. If you can go into the xref objects window and just click on the Update button and have the xrefs it couldn't find when you opened the file pop into place, then it's the same problem I have.

Here's the fix...
    <font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
    fn updateXrefRecordsOnOpen = (
    local n = objXRefMgr.recordCount
    if n > 0 do (
    pushPrompt "Updating Xrefs..."
    local xrefRecordArr = for i = 1 to n collect objXRefMgr.getRecord i
    for xrefRecord in xrefRecordArr do (
    try (xrefRecord.update())catch()
    )
    )
    pushPrompt ""
    )

callbacks.addScript #filePostOpen "updateXrefRecordsOnOpen()" id:#updateXrefRecordsOnOpen_startup
    </pre><hr />

Copy the code to a text file and save it as "updateXrefs.ms" in your Max/Scripts/Startup folder, and restart Max.

It basically just hits the Update button for you when you open a scene with xrefs.

If that doesn't help, then there's something else going on. confused.gif