Home Technical Talk

Image Shear

Phobos
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Phobos polycounter lvl 18
Hey. I've got a little problem. My roomate is trying to set up some image planes to model a character. However when I import the files into maya the file node and the lambert look alright, once on the plane or even a cube the image is unexplainably sheared. This does not happen with all images. My resources are the 3dsk image sets. I tryed a bear and a cow. These images worked fine. It seems whenever I try a human I get the same results.

Other oddities I have noticed are image artifacting and black and white colour images.

In an attempt to remedy the situation I tried many things. First copying the female reference pictures into a clean new file in photoshop. This did not solve anything. Second I took the image of the bears and pasted the female reference ontop of the image to see if it was infact a corruption in the file. The images showed up fine, but this is not a solution. With that hope in mind I decided to crop that image file around the female reference. Essentially making a new reference from the bear file. Maybe a different file, different results? Nope. To try something else I cropped the female but with a little bit of the bear image in the background. Again this resulted in image shearing as you can see below.

I have re-installed maya and deleted my prefs with no solution. I also tried a blinn shader and phong shader instead. It seems there is something wrong with the files.

I have never encountered this problem before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wtfmaya.jpg

Replies

• Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    have you setup/checked the uv maps?
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    Do you use MJPolyTools? If so, try renaming the maya folder in MyDocs to maya_old or something and start up Maya again. See if you get the same shearing.
  • Phobos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg: Ya sorry, I forgot to mention that. The image in the UVs is sheared aswell. UVs themselves are as they should be. There is no way to adjust the uvs so that the image will line up. What you see in the picture is exactly what you see in the UV editor.

fmnoor: No there are no extras installed on this maya. Save an ase exporter.
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    This happened to me, and I am not sure what's causing it. It's not only with image planes, but also sometimes with textures mapped to planar geometry, or in my case a wall with holes for windows. Now I can't reproduce the problem, but I remember changing the persp shading to high quality and that fixed image distortion of the texture. Generally, to get rid of shearing images on image planes, I turn off display of cameras in perspective view and just leave image planes in ortho (since the distortion doesn't happen in ortho views for some reason) and model that way. I believe this might have something to do with graphic card, or perhaps OpenGL, because I have some other weird things happening on my computer when Maya is running, for instance, Gaim messanger windows and xNormal seem to fight with Maya viewport about what should be displayed when I have Maya window active, like it is trying to show through. And sometimes I can't even switch to Gaim window until I minimize Maya. Weird.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    This is pretty weird. Do you have an ATI card perchance?
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    it pretty much looks like the texture is uploaded wrongly to the graphics card, I remember similar bugs when coding the texture loaders for our engine. Update drivers, thats probably all you can do.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    If you are using Maya7 the problem is the texture is probably not a power of two. Crop it to 4096x4096 or something like that. It also has to do with the monitor resolution you are running. I've seen this problem appear on LCD monitors because they run a fucked up 1280x1024 res but on my CRT 1280x960 the texture loaded fine.
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    I have nVidia geForce 6600, and 21" CRT running 1600x1200, but I haven't encountered this problem with my previous Quadro 4 card (which Alias has qualified for Maya, unlike geForce series), or with any versions of Maya before 7. As for texture resolution, it happened also with texture that was power of two (the above mentioned wall texture), it was 2048x2048, but with image planes, when the problem most often occurs, the image dimensions didn't seem to matter before. But it's good idea to make sure drivers are updated, thanks for reminding me.
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    the texture is probably not a power of two.

[/ QUOTE ]

Video drivers should be updated, and the texture should be 2^n on each side.
  • Phobos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow thanks guys. I'll give these ideas a try. In a hurry to find a solution I reformated the computer and it gave me the same results. Hopefully this will work.

My roommate really needs to get it work so they can work on their demo reel.