diZzyWalnut
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
Hi ,
my friend talk about this book -

0240807685_500.gif

http://www.bookpool.com/ss?qs=Luke+Ahearn+&x=35&y=9

Anybody knows it ? If yes - What's Your opinion ?

thank You wink.gif

Replies

• Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Hi I bought that book last month. It was a good read but it depends on what you are looking for. It has some interesting projects. It's geared mostly towards making textures for levels and also show examples of making FX with particles and explains a way to make those gun blasts that appear in first person shooter games like quake 3 or Unreal. It doesn't get into normal mapping though and there is no modeling. It's all about texturing. It's nice but it depends what you are wanting to get out of it. If you want to cover modeling and normal mapping then this might not be for you. It only covers making textures. There was another book I saw awhile back that covered normal mapping and would go perfectly with this one. I can't remember the name though.

Alex
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    gd magazine has a review this month. I don't know if this is a condemnation or a bonus but

[ QUOTE ]
    But it hadn't occurred to me that drawing skills are literally not required to be considered an artist. There's something very disconcerting about that. If I cut and paste C++ code, does that make me a programmer too?

[/ QUOTE ]

Above is quote from review in gdmag by the reviewer. Bijan Forutanpour, Sony Online.. bforutanpour@gdmag.com Let the email flames begin.

(Personally, what I think he misses is its more a design process, which still is a form of art.)
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.
    I'm looking just for a some basic resource of a level texturing. I suppose that this book can be enough for me ...for the beginning .? wink.gif
  • Fordy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fordy polycounter lvl 18
    Hi Dizzy

In that book, all of the tutorials are done in Adobe Photoshop (CS I think) either way, there is a demo version on the accompanying CD.

The book is split in to 9 chapters the first 4 of which give an introduction to game art, computer graphics technology, Photoshop itself and prepping textures, all of which are important and thankfully, have been covered really well without getting too in-depth. Chapters 5 to 8 all start off with a picture of either a concept painting or a finished scene and you will then be taken step by step through the texture creation process, creating all of the textures in that scene. The subjects covered are: Sci-Fi, Urban, Fantasy and Outdoor scenes.

The final chapter covers game effects such as muzzle flashes, decals for bullit impacts, weather etc. The book itself is really well laid out. I have been making textures for a hobby for a number of years and this is by far, the best book of its kind available.

I also bought this book: The Dark Side of Game Texturing which uses mainly photographs (supplied on the CD) to create textures.

Both books use different techniques for texture creation and I think you'd probably benefit for getting both books.
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank You FORDY . wink.gif That's what I've needed to hear it.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    The book is geared twords beginners....I enjoyed it. I'm looking to get rid of the book and the cd that comes with it if anyone is interested.