Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first site (WIP)

MAUL0r
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
www.Dgraziano.com

My focus is on environments/level design and texture creation. I had a friend help me put it all together in this format as I am not too familiar with web programming.

things I'm still working on:
A really good splash image when you first hit the page.
My personal Web Journal
The inclusion of my Demo reel.

comments? thanks!

Replies

• danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    if you're gonna have a preview of a tiling brick texture, you've REALLY got to make it tile ... it doesn't. This sort of thing on a portfolio, though it might seem minor, undoes every other good thing you might have achieved.
  • michalczyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    michalczyk polycounter lvl 17
    Navigation and structure wise you site looks good to me. It's quick and easy to navigate - which is very important. Visually not too appealing to me, but that is a matter of personal taste.
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    Nice site, I agree with michalczyk. I think the way you show your tileable textures is very neat, but as danr said, make sure the seams are not noticeable on any of the textures. Also, in your 3D models page, the plant and the table have way too many unnecessary polies.
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danr: I assume you're talking about the highlight causing a noticable pattern? cause it tiles seamlessly other than that from my end. I will give that a look for sure.

fogman: I agree about the plant having too many polys.. It's the little bastard that haunts me, I will prolly just take it off. The table's extra polys are actually tied up in the beer mug, but I suppose I could probably reduce those some.

I can't wait to get a real job so I can actually be paid to produce really efficient work! School left me with very little time (and a portion of it was just plain learnin' work).
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    yeah, tiling is only partly about making thigs seamless - photoshop or any number of graphics packages can do this for you in seconds. It's mainly about carefully removing focal points that repeat noticeably, and that's an art. In my view one of the best things to have on a portfolio is a set of really well tiling textures, particularly difficult ones like patchy grass or churned-up mud, especially at lower res.

of course, not everyone's gonna appreciate it, they're often more interested in the applicant being able to press "turn on skylight" in Brazil ... but the employers who do appreciate your efforts, they are the ones that matter smile.gif
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah if you notice a have a couple that don't create noticeable patterns like that, Most of my base textures (which aren't in there) are like that. It won't take much to remove that highlight, thanks for pointing it out cause I didn't really consider it till now on that texture.

incidentally, I made the base texture for that with some red paint and a sponge :P