Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

monster

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
nothing special, just another monster. gonna try and zbrush it, and experiment a bit with SSS and specularity.

bigmonster.jpg

Replies

• Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    I like the design, not sure he could hold all his weight on the toes.
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    yeah maybe the pose could be proned down a little lower.. maybe a cross between what it is now and a lizard or something?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    not bad, i like the head design.

however, what are the horns on the shoulders for? they can't be for sparring with other creatures because the neck is too long for them to be used, even if it was bending over as far as possible.

there's a weird mix of styles going on - the head looks like it belongs on a sea creature, while the body itself looks more like some sort of dinosaur, living in vegetation.

what does the creature feed on? the horns on the sides of the mouth would make it very difficult to tear flesh, which is what the sharp teeth imply.

the forearms seem too long in relation to the upper arms, on the front set of limbs. also as psyk0 suggested, the fingers/toes don't look as if they'd work very well holding all the weight like that - it seems painful.

did you have a concept drawn out before you started this, or did you just model it straight away from scratch?

also, any chance of seeing wires? the feet don't seem like they're attached to the arms... some weird shading going on around the wrist/ankle areas.

so yeah, in general it has some nice elements, but lacks a cohesive design, and quite a few parts of the design don't make sense for an actual living creature.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    monsterscetch.JPG

this is the concept scetch, drawn 5 years ago when i was bored in class, the model still need some likening up.
    the horns have no function whatsoever, at the time, i was thinking of the dragon in dragons lair, and added those, after the monster face seemed far too generic to my liking.
    although i could say that they are nice to deterr attacks to the neck.
    i've extended the design a bit, giving it molars in the inner jaw, and explaining the extrusions by the mouth as malformed teeth, used for grasping or mortally wounding larger prey, though usually it would hunt for smaller animals, trapping them in its front teeth.
    the feet stance is temporary.

the feet arent attached to the legs. not yet.
    and it isn't an actual living creature.
    the armouring is far too extensive for a creature of its size although i think i'll scale it down a bit from the concept drawing.