Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mainly HS Modeling/Texturing Reel

misanthropy.
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
misanthropy. polycounter lvl 17
www.gt-art.3dk.org

At the bottom of the page, you can dl my reel...

Thanks for a bunch of polycounters to help me with everything...

I am graduate of AI Van and currently seeking employment...hopefully. Contracts are my best bet so far...it seems many studios in Vancouver isn't in a hiring mood...

Tell me what you guys think of the reel...thanks.

I can be contacted thru PM or email - gabriel_t50@hotmail.com

Replies

• Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Good to see you get this done Gabriel. There's some good stuff in here.

Here are some random thoughts that found their way into my head as I was watching it:

1) Some of your handling of materials and lighting is great. Your metals in particular are really convincing.

2) I don't know what some of this stuff is aimed at. It's not made clear wether some of it is meant to be realtime or pre-rendered, and I think that distinction is very important personally. The opening stuff seems to be of a resolution intended for rendering, but it's just not made clear.

3) There's a little too much of the MP40, although it's a good model.

4) Too much of the same subject matter by far. You might be into WW2, but any potential employer that is not is going to be very put off by the content. As an aside, I actually had a couple of e-mails of complaint from people upset with me for depicting the swastika in my reel, but they can fuck off.

5) The lone German soldier pointing his gun in the air has a terrible banana curve deformation problem with his left arm.

6) It's waaaayy too long. Anything significantly more than 2 minutes is too long for a demo reel.

7) Your pencil stuff somewhat brings the quality down perhaps.

8) There is an annoying constant hissing sound.

good luck out there!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Woot, Darren for the win. A lot of this stuff Gabe knows about already (too much of the same thing, etc. etc.) so hopefully he'll make cuts here and there.

Good job Gabe, hold tight and you'll land something eventually. It took me a year of active looking to find a job.
  • DeathKitten
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathKitten polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Gabe! Good to see you in here smile.gif
    Tis a loverly reel you've got going there. Daz has some awesome points you should take into account. Asside from that, imo, you should cut down the speed of the 360s and only go round once, maybe.

That is all. Move along tongue.gif

-DK =^..^=
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    Hi Gabe. Your reel has assisted Wariorware in developing ADHD in the adult mind. That's an impressive feat.

I would highly suggest slowing down your rotation speed. I had to pause a few times just to evaluate your work. That's really fucking annoying.

Daz got on your nuts about the important points other than the speed, though. Listen to that man. He's basically, a champ. True story.
  • misanthropy.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    misanthropy. polycounter lvl 17
    thank you all for your comments, especially daz.

Much of the stuff on the reel was rushed...I don't have a lot of the files from school where I saved my projects on...I only backed the maya files up...but I will take all those points into consideration...I just need to upgrade my computer right now in order for me to improve my portfolio...still working on my site right now.

But I agree about the sktch, it was just part of the requiment to grad...I find most of those drawings last minute which was done like quite a while ago...I hope to put up more improved stuff. Last few weeks of school was especially hectic sorry about the bad quality of stuff...compression, hard disk, and other hardware problems all just creep out of nowhere...but indeed a good learning experience. I will definitely improve on those points...thanks