Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Generic Female WIP

mod
Offline / Send Message
Geezus mod
Hello hello. I've started work on a generic female, and I'm looking for some feedback. I'm not too concerned about watching my poly's with this. I'm more concerned about getting the form down correctly. Below is a low(ish) poly head of her, along side a turbosmoothed version. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, since this is my first attempt at creating a humanoid.

femaleheadweb9jb.jpg

Replies

• EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    If you're going for a realistic face, I think the eyes are a bit too big. And if you're looking for comments about the forms but not the poly's, some non-wire shots could be better.
  • Oddmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oddmind polycounter lvl 17
    the profile looks good but from the fron it all seems a bit wide. perhaps pushing the cheekbones in a bit as well as the side of the forehead/temple will make her look a bit more realistic.

If its stylization your doing then she looks good.
  • Cybroxide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybroxide polycounter lvl 17
    I think the neck may be too skinny and as Emar said the eyes my be too large. It looks very nice so far though.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like you could use some good photographic references.

There are a few problems here that you'll be needing to deal with. The biggest one is probably the protruding forehead. If you grab all the verts on the front of the head above the the eye sockets and pull them back it should go a long way to getting you a more realistic looking head.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Thank you all so much for the critiques. They've been very helpful. I've scaled down the eyes a bit, as well as moved them a bit closer to the nose. I've brought the forehead in a bit, narrowed her cheekbones/temple area, and widened the neck a touch. The one thing that amazed me, though it shouldn't have, was the way that her age seemed to increase with these changes.
    femaleheadweb28dv.jpg
    Thanks again for the critiques and comments, keep em coming! I'm moving on to the body for now, but I'm rather happy with how she's turned out thus far.
  • Marisa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marisa polycounter lvl 17
    The back of her head is a bit pointy, you probably should round it out a bit. Good Job though
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you using ortho reference?
  • KdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KdS polycounter lvl 18
    What I suggest is quickly give some eyes and ears when modelling a head.

It helps a lot towards eyelids issues, general shape and quickly get you rid of that Alien-like look that a eyeless/earless head may give.

Draw also lines over face pictures to get a list of things that make a head "general"
    You'll see that among the differences, every faces or nearly every faces share common things. Then use your experience in the 3D soft. Keep up though, looks kinda good atm smile.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This new update looks a bit worse in my opinion, the shape is really funky now.
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    The eyebrow line is way too high. It looks like her eyebrows are raised in the center as if she is worried, but if so, then it still looks unnatural. Take a look at the skull reference image and pay attention to how the forehead area of the frontal bone curves above the eye sockets.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Do you have side reference? It looks to me like there are a lot of things wrong with the basic shape of the head. The eye placement is strage, the whole face looks very flat, the lips extrude from the face strangely (and seem to be too large.)

I suggest you find some reference, if you aren't already using it. If so, pay very close attention to it while you're learning. It's not that bad of a model, but it has a lot of beginner's mistakes on it's overall shape/proportions. Good luck. smile.gif