Home Technical Talk

3d Max UI customization and Zbrush shortcuts

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
3d Max

1. I cant seem to find the turn tool in the UI customization setup for the poly tool to put into it's quad menu. Am I missing something or did they forget to add it to the list in max 8?

2.With the paint tool under poly edit, I cant find any customization options for it in max. I figured out how to shrink or enlarge the brush, but I would like to switch from push/pull with a button and turn to relax with another.

3. With soft selections.. (haven't checked for this after frustration with the above). I would like to set it up so that using my brackets will enlarge or decrease the area. Is this possible?

Zbrush.

Is there a "cheatsheet" showing all the keys for each tool that I can download and print from somewhere?

Replies

• dnorth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dnorth polycounter lvl 18
    Zbrush "Cheatsheet":

http://206.145.80.239/zbc/showthread.php?t=5045

The last one "Keyboard Shortcuts and ZBrush Resources" seems like what you're looking for.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks.. All the same shortcuts for version 2.0?
  • dnorth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dnorth polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like most everything's the same, but I'm not positive since there's a lot of stuff in Zbrush I just don't use much.

Actually, this reference card looks a little more straightforward:
    http://206.145.80.239/zbc/showthread.php?t=32797
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    id like to know if anyone knows a cheatsheets (printable) for max, and are there any extra short cuts that the splash doesnt show?
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snap.crackle.pop polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    id like to know if anyone knows a cheatsheets (printable) for max, and are there any extra short cuts that the splash doesnt show?

[/ QUOTE ]

Customize --> Customize user interface --> Write keyboard chart (you'll see it below where its hard to see PS: thanks to you discreet to make this option invisible for people not to use it).
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The problem is that they dont seem to keep consistent naming or even have undocumented functions and shortcuts. In example. I cannot find the turn finction on that list even though it does in fact exist in the poly edit tool in max 8. Secondly they dont seem to have any options at all listed for the paint tool, yet ctrl shift and alt shift will change the height and strength of the paint push/pull tool.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah Oxy, I believe that I've looked for Turn as well, and couldn't find it. I'll take a peek in a minute and try to find it again.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    well if anyone discovers them be sure to post them here then we can start to compile a list.

thanks snap.crackle.pop
  • vanilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vanilla polycounter lvl 18
    I cant find the turn custom draggable shortcut in max 8 either. I cant work out the macroscript command for it either.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I did cgtalk. I will pass on the good and bad news. Can help some if us. laugh.gif

akeissami said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    1. Hmm, I looked too. Never noticed it before but unfortunately it's not there which means it isn't really possible to fit into a quad menu without programming in that function with maxScript or the SDK. I'm going to look into that a bit more for ya later today, if I come up with anything, I'll let ya know.

2. While in Push/Pull mode LMB Pulls, Alt+LMB Pushes, and Ctrl + LMB Reverts. That still doesn't leave a way for you to quickly relax though. And unfortunately, I think we're having the same problem as # 1 for relax. By the way, have you looked at the brush presets toolbar? That might help with quickly setting your brush settings.

3. Do you know how to create macroscript files? Try this...

macroScript softSelectUp
    (
    $.useSoftSel = on
    xFalloffVariable = $.falloff
    $.falloff = xFalloffVariable + 10
    )

macroScript softSelectDown
    (
    $.useSoftSel = on
    xFalloffVariable = $.falloff
    $.falloff = xFalloffVariable - 10
    )

Copy the two macroScripts into an empty text file and name the file something like softSelectBracketKeys.mcr and move it into your 3ds max/ui/macroscript folder. Restart max and look up Group:Main UI Category: All Commands for softSelectUp and softSelectDown and assign a hotkey accordingly. Change the 10 number to whatever value you would like to use as an increment.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=375663
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone else have a cheetsheet? None of those for zbrush (and even on zbrushs wiki) cover the shortcuts when in full 3d edit mode. Like that stupid sequence you need to scale, or having to press shift to switch to smooth, maaks/unmasks mode. Yada, yada.. That would really help me.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I have one I made myself, in french... Not much use in posting that if not translated I guess!
  • Husch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Husch polycounter lvl 18
    Actually there comes a fine hotkey list (PDF file) with zbrush, but it is hidden in the zbrush application folder:

Pixologic\ZBrush2\ZData\ZPlugs\ZHelpTopics\Images\ZBrushHotkeys.pdf

Here is a screenshot of it:

http://www.huschang.de/pimp/zbrush_hotkeys.gif
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    hmm I'm not sure there is such a thing as cheat list for Max. I think they left it open mostly, although there are a few command that you can find which really sucks. I just mapped all the commands I use the most to epoly, emesh, etc.

A turns on angle snap
    S turns on 3D snap
    Epoly commands I have mapped

Cut =alt c
    Target weld = alt T
    collapse = shift c
    Bevel settings = crtl + alt c
    alt b = affect backfacing
    view align = alt v
    7 turn on polycount display in selected viewport
    w maximizes the viewport
    T = top, F= front, k = back, L=left, R= right
    for the move, scale, rotate I usually use the quads. wierd habit since i prefer shorcuts to using the quads.

crtl C = connect tool

Shift dragging duplicates, and so does shift plus clicking
    I do shift click when I want to make a new object be perfectly aligned to a face or be on top of another. Like say a light that affects an object differently and I need them to be on top of each other... This stuff is probably very basic though.

by the way turn edge is called flip normal and it's not mapped by default in Max 8

Go under editable poly for keyboard shortcuts for example and press f and find flip normal and presto.

Alex
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage, but the cheat sheet was in reference to zbrush. Not max.. I was asking about the questions with Max.

BTW flip normals is not the same tool (I tried). Turn turns the actual hidden edge on a quad. When you have turn enabled you see the hidden edges (when in wire and can flip them) with the poly tool. I believe it is new to the poly tool for max 8? IN the past one would have to convert to a mesh to do this.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Crap I thought that worked... Sorry man I should of tried it several times before posting. You are right it doesn't work. I searched through the macroscripts to see if I could find the call to it but nothing... The most I found out was by turning on the Max listener to see if the thing would say the name. When I Turn on and turn an edge is comes up

$.EditablePoly.TurnDiagonal

but that doesn't turn on the damn button.

I really drop the ball with this one. Sorry.

Alex