Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Latest Character:Nydus(wip)

polybrained
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
polybrained polycounter lvl 17
A guy I've been trying to finish up between moving and working. I should finish his bow and quiver soon and will do renders with each of his capes.For some reason the turn around render always looks fuzzy to me, esp in his face. I've never had that issue b4.
nydus_turn.jpg
nydus_smirk.jpg
daggerstest.jpg

{edit} top image is no longer fuzzy

Replies

• CMB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CMB polycounter lvl 18
    If the render is fuzzy don't even render. Models usualy look like the viewport ingame.

The face,hands and weapons could use more attention and you've got yourself a fine model.
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    the curvey iceblade type weapon is looking pretty sweet. what software are you rendering out of?
  • polybrained
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i just rendered then screen captured the render and no fuzz... wtf. anyway the turnaround is updated with the no fuzz. THx for the comments guys. Anything specific about them you feel i should do, cmb?
    noritsune: thx I love the way it turned out too and just 3d max
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    just down to some finshing touches, and small tweaks and you're there, he's great. I don't know if you made him smirk in headshot on purpose, but it's a nice touch. This will be a cool addition to the portfoliolio methinks.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Can you post the flats, and the wires?

I think he could be pushed a lot further. It needs some polish and some overal TLC.

His skin looks like its completely one shade of blue, with just black for shading. Can't really tell if his ear has any actual texture painted, or is just color. His clothing is very dark and reads rather muddy.

Overall its a good start, and I think you could really make this shine if you put in the extra effort.

I'm assuming this is based on a WoW character of yours?
  • polybrained
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sure after work tomorrow i'll put up some wires and textures.
    Ogle: ya he's smirking on purpose,and his eys are altered to look up, i thought it would be a cool pic so i did it. its currently my aim icon.
    sectaurs: thx for the input. Actually I came up with the character a few years ago around the time of warcraft 3. He was more based on the idea of Drow from DnD than a nightelf. But over the years he just kinda became less grey and more blue. I modelled him twice before and hated the results. When wow came out it I did make a character named Nydus but things just work out that way.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Coming along nicely, but those weapons are so very similiar to ones found in WoW...even down to the writing on the blade.
  • polybrained
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol relly 'cause i didn't even look at wow at all when thinking about em. it was all god of war influenced.
  • polybrained
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I hope you don't mind, but I did a quick paintover to help illustrate my points about adding color hues. [say the word and i'll remove it]

paintover_01.jpg
    okay, so its a pretty sloppy paintover, but it gets the idea across.
    you can have a lot of sublte colors and still have him read as being 'blue skinned'; I threw in some yellows, reds, greens. same thing with your eye. you had just one electric red color, so i scribbled on a bunch of other colors. hope this helps you.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    agreed with Sectaurs, pushing the contrast and adding a lot more varying shades in the same family would help push him to the next level
  • polybrained
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats great sec, no prob at all. I had actually meant to add other colours in his skin along the way to help out with the "realism" but somehow lost the idea in the process. and the eye paint over is just bad ass
  • ultra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    I think u could improve a litle in the model propotions, I do a paintover i hope u dont mind.
    polybrained.jpg
  • polybrained
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx for all the feedback guys. I have off tomorrow so I will try to work on him some more.
  • polybrained
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bowandquiver.jpg
    modelled out his bow and quiver. will prob texture on one 128 along with an arrow