Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

AAARGGG! The Pirate Project (Image Heavy)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
Here's my latest project. It is the last thing I finished before graduating last Friday. Its a pirate treehouse based off the this concept art.
100_0029.jpg
I decided to make the texturework more realistic than the concept calls for but I think it turned out well. I'm hoping to finish the other half of the concept but I need a job first. C+C welcome. Thanks
WillWurthcom_PirateScreenCaps.jpg
WillWurthcom_PirateFrontRender.jpg
WillWurthcom_PirateFrontRenderWire.jpg
WillWurthcom_PirateBackRender.jpg
WillWurthcom_PirateBackRenderWire.jpg

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    What are the two horizontal loops on the back behind the window good for? They don't seem to add any shape.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    That be the case with the handrails, as well as several other boat walls. You could just have them as seperate objects so you could save on polies.
  • shape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shape polycounter lvl 17
    Sweet! Although the large window on the side doesn't sit well with me - seems a bit out of proportion despite the overall chunky proportions. Might be too square compared to the rest also.
  • jonnyhr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jonnyhr polycounter lvl 18
    Looking excellent! Kinda getting that Monkey Island feeling, because of the shapes, not necessarily the textures obviously. I must agree with shape though, that large window on the side seems a bit off to me. Perhaps you could try making it a bit like the windows on the upper hut? construct it a bit more randomly. Just a suggestion though, may as well make it worse. Anyway, Keep it up.. Great work.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    kdr - not sure which bit you're referring to, but it looks reasonably well subdivided for vertex lighting to me. Assuming that the first lit shot isn't it ... it'd be bad form to subdivide a lot and then just light everything black ...
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    nice work from you AHotHandSandwich.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    AAARGGG! indeed... can barely see the pictures. contrast is your friend :P
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, that lit version is just about all black. Then unlit version looks quite nice. Nice texture work, very consistent palette.
  • polybrained
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polybrained polycounter lvl 17
    nice texture work. I agree about the lit version though. It just seems to hide all the effort you put into the texturing.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    make the internal lighting stronger, then add some nice blue moon light to the outside, you can make it quite light and it will still look like a night scene
  • ultra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    This is so cool the mesh is very solid, GL for the rest!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    make the internal lighting stronger, then add some nice blue moon light to the outside, you can make it quite light and it will still look like a night scene

[/ QUOTE ]

That. <points up>

Also, the sides of the hull are very basic in shape. Pop out some of the horizontal wood slats on the side of the boat profile just enough to enhance the silhouette from angle where it’ll be seen in game. This will help strengthen the character and uniqueness of the building.
  • HandSandwich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks everyone for the input.
    KDR: the back cuts were just for somewhat uniform geometry and vert lighting, like dan said.
    Makkon: Many of the pieces are separate, like the handrails. The reason some of them have more polies than they need is because I was set on keeping all of the geometry in quads.
    Shape/Jonny: Thanks. I see what you're saying about the back window, I'll have to go back and twist some verts and see how it goes.
    Dan/KP/Ultra: Thanks!
    Keg/Ryno/polybrained/SHEPEIRO: Yeah, the top grabs are real dark. I was just hoping to light partially and then throw a skylight in. I'll have to toss in some more lights.
    Cholden: I agree. I think that would add a lot to the silhouette.
  • D4NN0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4NN0 polycounter lvl 17
    Dude I like the flavor and style of this piece. I agree that the side window isn't sitting well .. maybe move it to the stern of the ship. Right now the back of the ship is feeling kind of bare. And maybe go for some portholes or cannon ports for the small windows. but over all nice job.
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18