Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[wip] Low-poly creature

jonnyhr
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
jonnyhr polycounter lvl 18
Hello, everyone. I've been watching this forum on and off but havent really had anything to contribute. (so hello everyone) I've only recently started to get into modeling, so here is something to start off with. Its really low poly at 346triangles. The texture is 256x256 as shown belove. I still have some work to do on the feet, though any critique or comments would be appreciated. smile.gif
creature01_mesh.jpg
creature01_texture.jpg

Replies

• SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    thats freakin cool, very sharpe texture,
    one crit would be to remove obvious seams round horns
  • jonnyhr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for such a quick reply smile.gif
    I didnt see that seam to be honnest, but I can clearly spot it now.. Looking around the model there are quite a few of those I need to look into. Thanks again.
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    Looks really good, some nice detail in the texture. Looks a little washed out to me, not a lot of contrast going on. Could use some other colors to break up the redness a bit. The feet could use some texture lovin as well. Pretty cool character though.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    holy hell, your my evil clone ! ahaha, looks great!love the muscle texturing, really good !
  • michalczyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    michalczyk polycounter lvl 17
    Looks promising already, some work ahead though. The eyes are overly large for the small head, or at least from this angle they are. The back looks too busy/haphazard muscle wise. In many places the muscles just don't flow anatomically. I would balance it off with some larger and flatter muscles. Also a creature with such large and powerful fore-legs should have them for a reason( the tiny head does not seem to belong there). The texture is too bland color wise, especially contrasts are off. Just a few thoughts...
  • jonnyhr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for your comments. laugh.gif
    [Soccerman18:] I agree, I'm not quite sure what to do however. I could try bringing up the contrast a bit, but I guess the real contrast needs to be brought with colors. Any suggestions?

[Johny:] I'm indeed your evil clone.. MUHAHA! *cough* thanks for your comment, love your work as well smile.gif

[michalczyk:] I kinda like the eyes myself, however I do see your point about the evolution of the thing. I wanted to make him some sort of roller.. having keeping his ballance on the front legs while folding his body, I must admit its not very well thought trough however. As for the back, I'll try to make some larger muscles in there and see if I can get it to flow a lot better with how the creature moves smile.gif
    I'll see what I can do about the contrast as well. Thanks a lot for the comments. I'll post the updated version soon.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    johnyhr, i like this stuff. Great work!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    this has "fantasy RPG" written all over it... awsome blush.gif
  • uk_resistant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uk_resistant polycounter lvl 17
    i think it's a bit unfait to say the eyes on the alien creature are too big for its body, because its an alien.
    I mean the musckle point yeah, but not the eyes, but thats just an opinion thing so i think its a intretsing point.

That model looks good for normal mapping too, might look pretty cool.

good stuff tho
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Cool creature, I like it!
    I think maybe a bit more colour variation in the flesh might work better, but it's looking good anyway.

Nice style... I'm looking forward to seeing more! smile.gif
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    All you Johny's make me mad with your leet pixeling skillz. Hehe it's awesome, i love it!
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    Nice one , mesh is clean and I realy like the texture so that's why I convert Your skin into normal with filter Nvidia under Photoshop:
    (I hope that You don't mind)
    http://developer.nvidia.com/object/photoshop_dds_plugins.html

creature_normal.jpg

Could be nice to see the result in 3D REAL TIME with
    modelviewer from Der_ton for exemple -
    http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1281

just do it wink.gif
  • polybrained
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polybrained polycounter lvl 17
    cool stuff man. i dont know whether to imagine it a unit that would just be a huge army of tiny creatures(ala zerling) or a massive elephant type creature. either way it's killer
  • jonnyhr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, lots of replies smile.gif
    Ashat, almighty_gir, uk_resistant, Psyk0 and polybrained:
    Thanks a lot for some very nice comments, glad to see so many liking this thing.

MoP: Yeah, I'm looking into making some variation to the flashtone after previous comments. Thanks for pointing it out.

diZzyWalnut:
    woah, look at that. This character wasnt really made for normal mapping, however this looks cool. I tried adding it in XSI (with little to mediocre luck) havent quite got the hang of the rendering three yet. I will try to add it within that modelviewer once I figure out how it works. It must wait for a while though as I'm going away for the rest of this weekend. I will post it as soon as I've got it working. Thanks a lot for taking the time to do this normal map, I think it should look quite nice on there.

As for those of you I just mentioned in the intro of this reply here, thanks again. I will keep working on this
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    I just try to do this normal map as a test - I dont know the result and there's not guarantee that it will works properly.

If You want , make a link to download Your model in .3DS format and I will make some view under der_ton viewer

.... how You feel wink.gif
  • Manic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Manic polycounter lvl 18
    cool creature jonny, lovely texture work i think.

quick question, are you jonnyree on TGC?