Home General Discussion

ConceptArt.org Workshop PSD's

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
Available for download. Some are over 100 megs but sweetness.

Have to login to the forums but some nice stuff..

http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88

Replies

• poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Quote from Manley in the Neversoft/Activision thread, "Recently, Neversoft has been using this image to recruit artists to their studio. We always get a kick out of that since the Art was actually done here at MB."

As far as myself, and the people around me know, the image in question was only used for a magazine cover. It has not ever appeared in a recruitment ad from Neversoft, and all of our recruitment ads have been made in house by NS artists.

The whole relationship between NS and MB was an interesting one, and I'd normally not make mention, but it just came off as a smarmy jab from Manley that really isn't true.

Also interesting is that very few of those PSD's show anything a nice full size Jpeg wouldn't. Most things are painted 100% on one layer. Some of them only ARE one layer, hahaha. It's cool these are being shared for sure, but I think one with more layers would be what really necessitates PSD distribution instead of just full res jpegs or targas.

poop.gif
  • Eric Chadwick
    MB/NS issues aside, I guess you didn't see the 113MB Gun.psd... tons of layers on that one, and usefully organized I thought, as far as a client might want some control to adjust it for better print quality or whatever. It's the one of the hero front 'n center in a cloud of dust.
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I did, which is why I said "very few" which would leave room for one or two to be not the case.

Again I'm all for the idea, and I think it's great. I just would like to see things distributed in the form that makes the most sense. PSD's are great for tons of layers that interact and overlap and refine, and there are very few up that do that.

poop.gif
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    manley makes a comment on the initial post about how many of the psds only EXIST as one layer--saying those artists preferred to work single-layer, or work and flatten as they go.

Doesn't really take advantage of technology, but I know enough artists who are like that to believe it.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Agreed.

Jason commented on this in one of the threads...

[ QUOTE ]
    Many of the pros do not work in layers. They work alla prima....directly painting into one layer. There is no shame in that sir. Some artists feel using layers is cheating their process. Crazy alla prima people!!!

I will see if I can dig up some process work however.

If it is a 3d marketing render, mb will use clean layers since the client usually directs those heavily and we often need to make changes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still, JPGs would make more sense for the single-layer jobs.
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    and that would be the comment.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Yeah sorry there Joe, your post beat me to it.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    did you guys see Hawkprey's psd? in this thread? http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39667

OMG it is sooo fucking helpful. Assload of layers showing progress. Really helped me out.
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    no worries erik... funny timing smile.gif
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    from what I saw with the ubi guys at least, they tend to use a lot of layers but flatten them as soon as they are done with them, and as that was speedpainting, the process itself is more interesting than thepsd, even with layers
    I think marko was working on one layer aswell, though he used 2/3 layers at first but then flattened everything, that makes more sense when you see the actual guy working tho