Home Technical Talk

remapping pixels

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
great technique in max. basically imgagine that you have made a base texture from a uv layout , then you realise that it looks crap. rather than repaint the whole thing. try this instead.
1 apply uv unwrap modifier
2 switch to channel 2 on the unwrap modifier.
copy the uv's from channel 1 to channel 2 and then start adjusting uv's on channel 2 until you are happy with the layout.
3 render to texture diffuse on uv channel 2 .
this will take channel 1 and remap the pixels to channel 2 and your new uv layout.
smile.gif

Replies

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    BTW Iam very drunk
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    He's saying that you can use Max's render to texture to take a texture that's painted for one UV set and project it on to another UV set. It's a nice trick if you've already finished your texture but need to change your UVs. Just be sure to clean up your UV channels afterwards as an extra UV channel is like storing an extra set of vertex data in most exported game formats (+50% more memory if you forget to delete the extra channel).
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Ruz: I do this only with Zbrush's GUV tiles. I import my model into Z. Sculpt a high poly, then paint it up via ZappLink. I do this so Im painting directly on my high poly model without having to manually UV it. Then Export to Max, create low poly, UV..then bake out diffuse, lighting, and normals.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    I've never actually found a use for this technique but it is also available for maya7 users in the form of warp image in the uv editor.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    when doing world art sometimes on warhammer i have to merge some objects or parts of objects that have already been made into my piece i am making, (for instance putting weapons into an armory i'm making, or already made crates into a suply room, whne doing this its best to combne the textures down to one page instead of having everything drawing crazy multiple files , used to i would manualy cut the texture bits i needed from all the sheets into my texture, then realign the maping to use that, but that way sucked, much easier to clone the geom, map the uvs on your sheet, and just bake out the difuse into your new uv layout. (i had to do this yesterdaya t work actualy)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    scooby doofus, thats an excellent idea man