Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Water Well

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
oobersli polycounter lvl 17
small asset I started today, sorta trying for a WoW feel, still have a long way to go to get that level, but its somewhat more entertaining than photo-ref all my textures for once. Any critiques would be great. laugh.gifwell14ho.jpgwelltexturesmall2nr.jpg

Replies

• oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just wondering, bc/ I don't really play wow, but do they use spec maps on any of their models?
  • yeluis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
    umm what the hell happened on that bottom section? did you pull the verts and didnt notice it?
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the original mesh was clean and round, friend said maybe play around with the mesh and give a more pushed cartoonish type feeling. Just pulled the base verts left or right, and pulled the top of the stone up and down a bit. Still debating to keep this mesh style or go back to the original look.
  • shape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shape polycounter lvl 17
    good start oobersli. Yeah it looks a bit stretchy at the front. That stone is really long at the bottom and has a weird kink at the end. Try to work more with the stones, and map the top surface properly so it matches the stones around the well too. Another little idea, try adding some detail for the end of each roof tile to give it depth. Atm it looks like paper thin tiles giving off a big drop shadow.
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    In addition to what Shape said about the roof tiles, I'd say that you should make the shingles more unique. What I mean is that they look as if they are repeating (and they probably are) and since you don't have tiling on the roof (the whole side is uniquely mapped) then you better add some variation to the shingles. Just add different weathering effects to each and make it less apparent that the shingle rows are coppied.
    Also, if you decide to keep the distorted base, I'd suggest redoing the UVs for it, so that the texture doesn't look stretched there. And sorry for nitpicking now, but I think the base would benefit from some saturation, it's just too grey. But you are off to a good start nevertheless.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I think if the base is irregular the roof should be as well. Currently it's perfectly straight.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx for all the crits guys, definitly using them to fix it up.
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    If you are really shooting for a WOW feel, I'd bring in some more colors. They use a nearly impressionist palatte.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    also the roof is much too noisy/photo sourcey for wow, they use a lot of smooth broad strokes, your wood also, theres is a hand painted style less grainy
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yah, I decided to try a bit simplified approach to the textures, so I wanted to play around with a new stone. Heres what I have so far, going to shrink it down a bit to fit in my main texture file when I'm done. wish my school would have some decent painting classes, proving harder than I thought it would be. btw does anyone know any sites where I can get some clear shots of WoW textures? I'm having to use screenshots that aren't the best sometimes. newstone43id.jpg
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    Much much better! I think you could exaggerate the lighting and volume of the stone even more, though. Get some color in there!
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    render of the new stone. added some color with the hue/saturation. Not sure how else I would add color into it without it looking like crap, I'm still pretty new to painting. Also working more with the mesh so its not so perfect and uniform looking.

render10nd.jpgrender23bf.jpg
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe desaturate / oversaturate a few stones to put some variation in their coloring? Some dirt / moss around the base?
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah, didn't think about doing seperate stones, thx
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Squirmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squirmy polycounter lvl 17
    Is there a smoothing issue on the base of the roof post? The dirt on the stone could extend a bit high IMO. Also some dirt in the cracks between bricks? Its coming along nicely.
  • yeluis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    i dont think the shape of the well works really well.. I fu had more polys maybe you could make the shape more irregular but right now it just looks wrong.. I'd go more subtle on the shape and keep it more cirkular.

Also maybe take flaagans advice a bit further, more moss and crap goin on. Heck its a fairly painterly texture. Why not paint in some plants/mural/flower growing up along the stone. Coudl be a nice break in color from all the grey.

coming along nicely tho.. keep it up
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    decided to start on the shingles since I'm running out of time for this model.
    shingles0kt.jpg
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    messed with the roof a bit to make it a bit more irregular shaped

render59fe.jpg
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Its nice to see this progress from where it was originally, thumbs up. You should take some of that broad lighting that you're appling to the shingles and do the same to your stones, all of the highlights and shading on the stones is small, it could use some broad scale shading.

One thing i'm noticing too is that your shingles and stones are nice and bulky and the boards/metal bar that make up the frame are kind of thin in comparisson, maybe make them a little more chunky?

this is definatly heading in a better direction though, keep it up.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    agreed, good progress, much more style...how about some moss growing in places in the stone part, maybe? great shingle texture
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    Hey! great improvement.

Id say definately carry the style over to the crank too. Make it chunky and perhaps a little crooked to fit in with the rest of it. Not so crooked that it no longer works of course =)

And ill second the moss idea. definately needs moss!
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Done with the roof so far. Going to finish up the post base and the crank bar with a metal texture of some sort, that way the model is done, and then I'll go in and add detail if I have time. Also went in and messed with the post thinkness and shape a bit like you mentioned chaoseidolon, may not bea able to tell in the image tho. Thx for all the help so far, its helped out a lot.

render66ur.jpg
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    love the stone, think the shadows are too strong on the roof, i think its faking too much geometry to do efectively, this is over all lookin HEAPS better than the first posting,, a good easy was to get the cartoony exagertated look, is model something pretty bland, then throw a ffd modifier on it (is you are using max) and skew the object around a bit
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    I agree, this looks righteous, especially compared to where you began, and the directions you had in mind for yourself.

I would like to see more colors, and more saturation worked into the texture work. Right now, that's the only negative I see carrying over from your original post - the first one was too grey for warcraft style, and the later iterations are still suffering a bit. dont think you need to go overboard - just a touch more color.