JO: heh, logic and common sense has no place in this debate smile.gif

r.

[/ QUOTE ]

YOU're bitter, not daz smirk.gif
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    You see, the problem here is, most people are dumb as fuck. I think it's safe to say nearly everyone on this board could easily smoke weed, drink alcohol, and do plenty of other things without harming anyone else. It's the other group that the government has to worry about. It's about the dumbass crackheads who will kill an old lady on the street and steal her purse to get her fix. It's about the people who drink so much alcohol that they come home every night from work drunk and beat their wife and kids. It's about the dumbass kid who wasn't raised right, so he ended up in an alley somewhere overdosing on heroine. Drugs can be some bad shit, and I'll bet that if all drugs were legal, and your "mildly intelligent" (nice way of putting it tongue.gif) family member or close friend that you love became addicted to something, you'd be bitching about how the government needs to do more to help these people out.

And I hate the argument that if you made it legal, it wouldn't be cool anymore. I don't know about you, but I see TONS of people smoking cigarettes every day, and cigarettes have to be the most pointless fucking drug out there!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    meh, there was a time when interracial marriage was illegal and everyone would get all huffy about it (I do believe it was an 'activist judge' that declared the ban on interracial marriage unconstitutional)

I'd be surprised if gay marriage isn't legal in all 50 states in about 20 years.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the fundies are acting like their this powerful force to be reckoned with becuase they got bush elected but look at the DaVinci Code and any company that supports gay rights, they aren't hurting despite the fundie boycots.

There was a huge concerted effort to get all the fundies to go see "over the hedge" on opening day because it opened on the same day as the DaVinci code. I was getting all these chain letters from family members talking about "we're going to show America just how much power we have" blah blah blah.

I think it was just the fact that the fundies were able to get their base motivated vs. the general apathy of the rest of the population to win the elections.

Say what you want about the Bush administration but it seemed to get everyone fairly passionate about politics (how many political rants did we have pre-2000?)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    hmm, probably true. still, that's probably where the most trouble lies smile.gif
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    true, but I read on some guy's blog who went to England to get away from ultraconservative America, as a gay man he'd rather deal with fundie Christians than fundie Muslims any day of the week!
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    And divorces cost the state a lot, many of the divorces are followed by welfare and living on the poverty line (although this problematic would propably become more current once gay couples would be allowed to adopt children).

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got to be joking. It costs just as much for a strait couple to get divorced as it would cost for a gay couple. If that's a reason to ban gay marriage, then why not ban ALL marriage?
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

You've got to be joking. It costs just as much for a strait couple to get divorced as it would cost for a gay couple. If that's a reason to ban gay marriage, then why not ban ALL marriage?

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, haven't your read any of the above? The advantages straight couples have of a marriage are way bigger because many parts of the law were written that concern children. And different from the other advantages marriage has, you can't regulate many children related issues in agreements.