Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

8FtSpider's Landmate......

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
I'm an Architectural Engineering Technology student who's fallen in love with 3D. I take every opportunity to work in 3D as opposed to CAD drafting, but I'm fairly proficient at CAD (its just not as interesting). I started modeling a suit of powered armor with a program called SketchUp just to fool around. I recenly got to take a VR class that used the Unreal Engine and that was really cool (most of the lamebrains in the class were to dense to make heads or tails of it, but I did ok; I was the only student in a class of 40 to have doors that opened and an elevator that went up and down, not a big deal, but I was happy). I'm doing an internship right now, and then I graduate, but what the hell am I going to do for a living; I don't see myself as a CADmonkey, I'm really hoping I can turn my love of 3D into a career, but I have a lot to learn.

Anyways, here are some images of the model I've been working on. I call it the Peacekeeper; its a powered exoskeleton in the tradition of Shirow's landmate (minus the slave-master arm system, which I think is a danger to the pilot). Been working on it as well as a slew of other sci-fi and military models in my spare time for about a year...

tmap04.jpg tmap02.jpg tmap01.jpg

tmP02.jpg tmpeacey02.jpg tmpeacey01.jpg

That's how it started out. I started with primitive shapes: blocks, cubes, cylinders, and so forth and refined them over time. After working for a while, I render an image, print it, and then redline where I think changes need to be made. Here's where I am now:

Lm02.png Lm01.png tm01.png tm02.png Lm04.png Lm03.png G01.png

I'm in the process of teaching myslef Max as well as a few other progs, but its slow going (or so it seems). I've created a human soldier and placed a Biped system in it and then animated it, but I'm at a loss as to how I can do the same for my robot and not have joints and limbs deform (metal should not deform); no beaches and bitches for me this summer only work and lots of it.

Let me know what you think, good or bad, I look forward to hearing it. I've been trolling the boards for a few months now since I ran across it looking for info on Unreal and Max, this is my first post proper, so let me say thanks, Polycount, for being here.

I'll post more as I work on it, and maybe some of the other related models (soldiers and mech pilot).

Replies

• Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Looking good. I use small spheres as joints in robotic models so that I can avoid the deformation you mentioned. I just separate the model at all the joints, add a small sphere and conect the two parts to the sphere. Then you just hide the spere with a bit of machinery wink.gif

Hope that helps wink.gif
  • Jerome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerome polycounter lvl 18
    as for spheres... imo i wouldnt use spheres, but i wouldnt have it one continous mesh. i would give it a joint, a sphere to me is too simple, you can do a joint in many ways, some joints could be sphere based, but yeah it sohuld look like machinery. perhaps find some refs of modele mechs on here and replicate their joints, i've seen some very awesome ones on here. and welcome
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    True, its simple though and you can come to grips with better ways afterwards smile.gif
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Spheres work good at least as a reference for ball joints like the shoulders and hip connecting to the thigh, the neck isnt a ball joint but acts a bit similar in how it pivots. Hinge joints make more sense to have a cylinder, like you already have and many robot designs do. When it comes to mechanial things that need animation, separate objects are pretty much a must.

Great work on the Landmates! Keep at it and you'll be pro quicker than you know it!

I like the landmates
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, guys.

My instructor wants me to animate it and bring it into Unreal. I think I read somewhere that Unreal can only handle the skeletal mesh with virtual skeleton inside it, if that's the case it totally f's up my shot at breaking the mech into seperate pieces (i.e. the forearm, hand, torso, and so on) to keep them from deforming as a single mesh would. So, I've just been concentrating on the geometry for the moment and trying to finish that up (as well as the mech pilot).

So much to learn.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, nice model. I like the sense of weight and solidity it has.

You can use separate meshes in Unreal Tournament 2k3/2k4. So yes, you can break up your mesh into pieces and link each piece to a bone, this is probably the best way of doing mechanical things.
    As long as you make sure that the bone's pivot point is located in the centre of the mechanical joint, it should look fine.

However I'd recommend cutting down the polygon count before you try to take it into a game, at the moment you seem to have a lot of polygons not really adding anything to the silhouette or shape of the model, optimise those areas and it'll run much better in game, and be easier to rig for animation.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hey, nice model. I like the sense of weight and solidity it has.

You can use separate meshes in Unreal Tournament 2k3/2k4. So yes, you can break up your mesh into pieces and link each piece to a bone, this is probably the best way of doing mechanical things.
    As long as you make sure that the bone's pivot point is located in the centre of the mechanical joint, it should look fine.

However I'd recommend cutting down the polygon count before you try to take it into a game, at the moment you seem to have a lot of polygons not really adding anything to the silhouette or shape of the model, optimise those areas and it'll run much better in game, and be easier to rig for animation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, MoP, I will do that.

I appreciate the compliments and advice, everyone.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't posted in a while, but I've been browsing some and you guys totally rock. It's truly inspiring the way you share your ideas on this board.

I graduated from the Architectural Engineering Technology program in Aug, and now that I have my Bachelors I'm pursuing my masters in Architecture and Construction Visualization. Since I've graduated I've gotten a job with a firm where I do 2D drafting and 3D modeling. I still like to play around with sci-fi stuff and other fantasy stuff in 3D.

I've been reworking my landmate for space, colony defense in particular. I powered him up with weapon attachments and lotsa thrusters. Since he's being re-designed for use in space, I've thrown out any concerns for weight distribution in gravity (i.e. backheaviness causing him to topple).

He's totally modeled in SketchUp. I exported him as a dwg (exported faces only), imported him into Max with welded checked and set to 0.075 and auto-smooth checked and set to 20 degrees in the import options window. I rendered him with lighttracer in Max to kinda see what was what.

ss011.png

Click on the thumbs for larger images.
    ss01thumb.png
    ss02thumb.png
    ss03thumb.png
    ss04thumb.png
    ss05thumb.png

The shoulder pods hold multi-missles, the gun on his right arm is a machinegun w/ grenade launcher, the gun on his left arm is a beam cannon, what may look like armor plating on his shins is actually micro-missiles, his right hip holds two rocket-propelled grenades, and his left hip has an attached forcefield/E-shield generator.

Tell me what you think.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Impressive! I like it a lot.

I think you should be able to shave about 50-60% off the poly count and not see a hit to detail. I'm not sure what the poly count is but there is no reason this couldn't be trimmed down to in game specs. If you can show a shaded wireframe viewport screen grab I'm sure we can find some areas that could be optimized. If you are thinking of using this as portfolio piece know that optimization is key. It is better to get control of that now before you start unwrapping.

Also this guy is begging for some normal maps, can you hear it?

Really nice work so far, just a touch too high poly to be used in a game.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll post a wire next, fo sho. Right now he weighs in at about 75,000 tris (I think).

I so want to cover him in normal mapped panel lines, but I've never made a normal map before. I still have a whole lot to learn.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    dont know about you vig but by the looks of it editing something like that down to game rez would probably take me as long as building it from scratch. Looks great though, if a little hard to read- I bet a decent paint job could straighten that out
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really don't know if I can trim it down to game specs. Ever since I decided to go the space route with the overall design, I've been modeling him for use as a cinematic character.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I dont know i could see that polycount as in in game model, just as long as it was 80 feet tall and only one or two were ever on screen at once. Just make sure that you make a few good tiling textures with different paint colors and keep those small. Like 4 diffrent colors at 512 texture size. Just keep in mind your desired pixel density when unwrapping. Try for around 4 pixels in each digital inch or more.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Wouldn't the position of the head reduce the pilot's vision?
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Wouldn't the position of the head reduce the pilot's vision?

[/ QUOTE ]
    No, because the suit is twice as tall as a human, the suit is not worn like a suit of armor but the pilot fits inside the chest cavity with only his/her legs sticking out into the mech's legs down to the knee.

the "head unit" on the mech only houses cameras and sensors.

I'll post an overlayed transparency that shows what I'm talking about, soon.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    most insane gunship gundam design i've ever seen! hahah.
    looks pretty cool.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks very cool. Back kinda seems to be lacking a bit of detail compared to the front, although your normal-mapped panel suggestion will probably help that a lot.

Interesting that you modelled the whole thing in Sketchup, I didn't know it was possible to do such complicated and non-architectural stuff in it, I should give it another look smile.gif

Keep it up!
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I've wanted to get back to work on this for a while. I've been rethinking the whole human-mech size ratio, and how it's piloted, etc, but I haven't made a decision, yet.

I've also started to basically re-model everything. I "think" what I'm gonna do is make a high-poly version (of everything) and then make a normal-mapped low-poly version. I'm not doing any more work to this in SketchUp, just Max, so far.

Here is the re-modeled Sturmfaust/Panzerfauzt (RPG) that you can see on his hips.
    sturmfaust.png
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A photoshop color of the SketchUp model before I started re-working the parts in Max:
    CD.png
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the start of the hi-poly shoulder:

shoulder_01pic.png
    shoulder_02pic.png
    shoulder_03pic.png
    shoulder_04pic.png
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    wow, lookin nice, you may be modeling lots of details that no one will ever see though.
    Keep us updated.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've done some work to the shoulder shields:
    shoulder_05pic.pngshoulder_07pic.png
    shoulder_06pic.pngshoulder_08pic.png
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    Dude, he looks friggin' rad. is it possible to show us some wireframes of the shoulders and individual parts? Justcurious! Keep it up-- it's awesome!
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would post wires, but since I've been trying to keep everything in quads, they're kinda messy. I figure when I get to the stage where I normal-map the information to the low-poly version, I'll post the wire to the low-poly.

Thanks for your comments, everyone.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've started on the arm, now:

arm_11_07_01.png

arm_03.pngarm_04.png

arm_05.pngarm_06.png

I'm having a problem with something, though. I wanted to test animate the arm, so I moved my pivot points to where I thought the should go and linked the pieces together, but when I rotate the bicep the elbow pivot doesn't rotate with the elbow.

1. notice the elbow pivot
    2. I select the elbow
    3. I rotate the elbow
    4. I select the bicep
    5. after I have rotated the bicep the elbow's pivot point is where it was in step 1 (i.e. it didn't follow the elbow as it was rotated from the bicep). I don't know what to do or what I'm doing wrong. I figured that the pivot point would stay in line with the object. I don't know much about animating and really just wanted to test tolerances while I was modeling. Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

armpivot01.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    it looks like you're using max, so when you've got your Rotate tool active, change the coordinate system to "local" instead of "view", it's in a dropdown list next to the move/rotate/scale buttons at the top of the screen. It defaults to View but for animating it's probably more useful to set it to Local - this uses the object's own alignment for the gizmo, rather than the view or world space.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP, that did the trick. Thanks a heap on the quick help!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You sure are persistant man, you've been working on this guy for over a year now havent you? Or did you completely start from scatch again?
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EQ: I've been trying to use what I can from the sketchup models, but most of it is either incomplete or completely useless. I'm just chipping away at this one, taking my time and trying to have fun while I learn.

Thanks, for the encouragement, Per! I've seen your 'chocolate' mech and it was very impressive. When it comes to computer modeling most of my experience is limited to sketchup due to using it at work (drawing hotels), so I am still mostly a newb, but I have built a few physical robot models. I like to consider myself a connousieur of robots, grin.gif.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    outstanding work.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep it up man, it shows a lot of character to be able to stick to something for that amount of time.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've been working on the assault rifle/rocket launcher gun for what feels like forever. I don't get much time to work on this guy, maybe 3-6 hrs a week, and it's been dragging on for months. Anywho, here is the highpoly for the gun so far:

riflt_23.png
    riflt_24.png

Some closer-ups:
    riflt_26.png
    riflt_27.png

I'm getting near to finished w/ the gun but I'm kinda stumbling over the back half. I want the ammo cartridge to be look like it holds a respectable amount of bullets (at least a hundred). Here I've tinkered with having a quick-reload type deal (2 - 100 round magazines, one rotated 180 degrees), but if I do this I have to add auxialary arms to the wing-like skirt armor to aid in reloading, because his left hand would never be able to reach and, besides, it's going to be holding another weapon. The alternative is a single larger magazine. Pics:

ss_poss_01.png
    ss_poss_02.png
    ss_poss_00.png
    I think I'm going to fix up a single, larger magazine tomorrow, but I'd figured I'd share what I have so far.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some closer shots of the main camera. I'm pretty satisfied with it, but may add some more superficial details:

camera_02.png
    camera_01.png
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here it is with a single magazine, I'm going to continue from here, I think. That's 300 rounds shown. BTW, the magazine uses a horizontally mounted feeding system; that's why the bullets are in there sideways, they are rotated 90 degrees to enter the barrel.

RIFLE_PRIME.png