Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dragon WIP

Replies

• stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, it's ok. I'm sorry our think tank did not provide proper results. I've found a nice how to draw dragon online.

CONSUMATE Vs
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

The picture almighty_gir posted is well drawn, clearly pretty thought out, makes enough sense to be believable on a fictional and traditionally fantastic creature,

[/ QUOTE ]

wow you're joking right? I like looking at fantastical drawings and stuff as much as the next guy, but the anatomy on that dragon looks anything BUT well thought out. Honestly it does look like a bunch of random muscles crammed together to 'look cool'. As much as this is a 'fantastical' creature it should still follow some rules in terms of anatomy to be believeable and frankly that drawing doesnt look anything close to any wing anatomy i've seen before.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

wow you're joking right? I like looking at fantastical drawings and stuff as much as the next guy, but the anatomy on that dragon looks anything BUT well thought out. Honestly it does look like a bunch of random muscles crammed together to 'look cool'.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose I have low standards for the muscular structures of mythical beasts.

By 'pretty well thought out' all I meant was crammed together to 'look cool' in a way that would theoretically facilitate the motions required for it to look vaguely (superficially) believable.

Past that, I don't really understand why fantastical models and stuff have to follow different rules than 'fantastical drawings and stuff'
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    because otherwise making a fantastical creature just becomes an excuse to not have correct anatomy or design. Even if something is meant to be outlandish or mythical it should still follow certain rules so that it may be believable. Skeletal and muscle structures are formed certain ways because it -works-. Nature didnt just arbitrarilly pick certain set ups, they're there because it works. So when designing a dragon, monster, mythical armor or what not, it makes sense to do a little research and know what works and what doesnt, using an excuse of it being fantasy as a reason to not follow certain rules is just silly.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ladies ladies ladies. I think he point of this thread is now consistently sidetracked.

Let's high five grim and stop caring aobut a piece of garbage painting. THANKS.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    To avoid getting sidetracked to a debate on what 'works' in a setting full of MAGIC MISSLE (1d4/level), yeah. This post isn't really about the value of fantastical muscular anatomy in the context of zbrushing dragons.

Keep it up, Grim.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You clearly do not understand the point that was being made about the anatomy. That's ok. It's not your thread. Grim knows whats going down. I HAVE FAITH IN YOU GRIM.
  • Grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grim polycounter lvl 17
    First off I would like to thank EVERYONE for giving me feedback so I can get better at all of this. (That is after all why I am here.) I have listened to all sides of the fence and have been thinking and working on most if not all concerns.

almighty_gir: I wish your newer post was your first as this was something I feel I can use, even though I am a D&D fanatic I hate the way a lot of the artwork was done unless it was done be Elmore. Thanks for the post.

I have been working on the dragon a lot and want to make better progress before posting pics. As sectaurs pointed out the head and feet need a lot of love so I am working on both. I think the changes will be much better next time around.

Stoofoo: thanks for the help and support, it means a lot to someone like me. :-)
    Grim
  • Grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grim polycounter lvl 17
    Ok I have been working on a lot but only wish to show the head, keep in mind I have only worked on the top of the head(as if you guys couldn't tell tongue.gif )but the main thing I want to know is it looking less playdoish? I know I have a long way to go.
    HeadDetail1.jpg
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    this is going the right direction, but i still noptice alot of zbrush blobiness .
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    The scales right on the cheek bone are looking really nice
  • Grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grim polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks guys, I have split the model up and I am working on it again. We shall see where I can take it from here.
  • Grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grim polycounter lvl 17
    I decided to take a break and make a scale brush, this was the first test run of it. I am not done with the mesh just testing the brush I made.
    ScaleBrushTest1.jpg