Home Technical Talk

ATI and maya incompatability.

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
Hi, I purchased a Radeon x850 recently and just noticed yesterday Maya's high quality rendering mode for displaying bump/normal maps is corrupted to shit now. This is a problem others are experiencing so I was wondering if anyone has a magic driver fix or patch for this?

Replies

• Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I almost hate to say this malcolm, but surely you knew before the purchase that maya+ATI cards=bad?
    Don't know of a fix sorry.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes Daz, I already knew this, but apparently since my last computer upgrade AGP video cards disappeared so the only card I could find that would support my motherboard was ATI. I had a nifty geforce6800gt which started rendering corruption in all d3d games. It is just the ATI gamer cards that don't like Maya as I have an ATI at work now the fire gl card and it works nifty with Maya, have not had any problems after several months of using it.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    hhhmmm bummer. Have you had a look through that maya display issues thread on cgtalk? Could be some other folks in there with the same issues.
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    I managed to get my old ATI to play nice with Maya after messing with the zbuffer settings and setting everything to 'quality'.

-(It should be under the 'advanced' settings for your card, I switched to nvidia so I can't show you a screencap. The zbuffer setting I think was just a toggle, like 'force zbuffer or something like that, set the open GL settings to full quality).
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Show me the magic please.
  • IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    Hey, thats a well known problem.... i myself got an ati x800xl and it doesnt work.

Try downloading this Plugin for Maya http://www.highend3d.com/f/3739.html

You have to enable it in the plugin manager, then you can create a cgfx shader and load a default configuration out of the installed folder cfg files.

It can display alot of nice stuff in the viewport, like subsurface scattering and normal maps...

In my opinion, it looks even better than the default maya high quality rendering.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    This plug-in is cool. Thanks for the link xenon!
  • Gizmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gizmo polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hi, I purchased a Radeon x850 recently and just noticed yesterday Maya's high quality rendering mode for displaying bump/normal maps is corrupted to shit now. This is a problem others are experiencing so I was wondering if anyone has a magic driver fix or patch for this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a Radeon XT850 which is running High quality viewport. It's wonderful, and you can do it too!

It needs a softmod, and here's the golden thread that I stumbled upon when tearing my hair out like you (and contrary to the notional; info and posting of this situation is ruddy thin on the ground).

Here it is: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=227800&page=19&pp=15

I've linked to the post by ZZ2 beacuse the very first post solution doesnt work.

Have patience though because if you are like me, i don't care for this shit it bores the hell out of me, but persistence has been worth it.
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    right on. cant wait to follow up these links and fixes when I get home!
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    hey guys, got a question about the cgfx shader. I found the docs that came with it to be kinda incomplete - managed to get everything working in my viewport, but can't get the Blinn CgFX shader to work with more than one tnl light source in the scene. A friend had the same situation, can't link up more than one light. is this a hard-and-fast limit? hopefully not. anybody figured this out?
  • allyx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allyx polycounter lvl 17
    I'm using a Radeon 9800 XT
    I have 3 display problems while using Maya 7 in high quality rendering display:

1. I get yellow blocks on the screen which I definatly know this is from over heating now. It doesn't occur that much now since I vacuumed it.

2. Sometimes Maya doesn't display the normals properly. It just looks really wierd like it has some odd reflective shader effect and sometimes it shows the model with strange welded vertices. It might have to do with over heating.

3. I'm not certain if this is one is a display related or just fault memory usage. Sometimes when I press the space bar to switch full screen/panel view, things seem to go really slow. When this occurs I always try to save immediately then exit Maya and reload it.

I have only encountered my problem number 1 while using 3D Studio Max and still manage to use Maya, but it can be annoying.