Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My texture thread

MAUL0r
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
I've got to do 30 textures that are sort of based on the interiors of the human ships in the alien movies. So far i've done 3. I've put alot more color into these than the refference, but I'm hoping the style is close. Anyways, here's the first 3:

Wall1_256.jpg

Wall2_256.jpg

Wall3_256.jpg

ill post more as I progress smile.gif

Replies

• shape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shape polycounter lvl 17
    nice work so far.. I'd work a little more on the overlays you're using to define the scratches/weathering (lower half of no 1 and 3). The scratches would most likely not flow across surfaces of different depths, and could be stronger at the top lip of each protroding surface where the scratching object has struck harder. Just an idea to help remove the obviousness of the overlay.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Decent textures, but these really don't look anything like the ships in the Alien movies. I'd suggest renting a tape or dvd and scanning through it.
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shape: good suggestions, ill be sure to make those changes.

Irritant: I have tons of refference from my teacher who scrubbed through the first movie taking pics and video clips of the inside of the Human ships. They are mostly white padded geometric shapes. If it wasn't for the metal and computer stuff you'd swear it was an insane assylum. That being said, I've decided to add a little color in my first few textures, for maybe the nicer parts of the ship or something. I figure I got 30 textures total, they shouldn't ALL be 1 boring color scheme like the actual ships.
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A bit of an update:
    beds_256.jpgdoor1_256.jpgmedical_256.jpgmonitors_256.jpgpadwall_256.jpgscreens2_256.jpg
    I know I know, caution lines = bad... but hey I thought they fit for this set...

more to come!
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    kp book, 1st edition: caution stripes = cool
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    this looks cool, nice clean textures

needs more dark plastic panels with inlayed red LEDs IMHO
  • nreynolds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nreynolds polycounter lvl 18
    Don't forget about perspective with the scratches and grime drip. When the drip goes down the wall then over the metal peice that sticks out further then the wall you should offset it or scale it horizontal to fake perspective more. Same with the scratches, the same scrach wouldnt go over the metal and prefectly onto the wall like it was projected onto it.

Post up a texture with a ref pic next to it next time.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    like em, what's it for? Caution lines are pretty much a staple... but used sparingly for things where caution would be needed..

I must of missed the class where caution lines = lens flare.. laugh.gif
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Maulor: I like these and they demonstrate some skill, but I agree that they dont really seem to be from any of the Alien films. Try picking up the Aliens VS. Predator games (Im sure they're budget titles by now). They had some pretty great reproductions of the environs from the movies.
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fanwall_256.jpgovals_256.jpgpiping_256.jpgvent1_256.jpgvent2_256.jpg
    A few I pumped out today, they are all still WIPs because they need more grit and stuff.. but just a small update before I head home to my internetless house *cry*.

scoob: The main inspiration for these is the human ship called the nostromo. I agree that they don't really look like the ship, but I guess I wanted to do something with a bit more color and flair than a 1980s modernist ship interior :P. I would like to eventually do texturing as a contract job on the side, so I've been trying to build my portfolio with dynamic stuff.

nreynolds: Shape already brought that problem to my attention earlier in the thread, but it still remains true, I will probably find time to fix them after classes are done.
  • Zeldrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrik polycounter lvl 18
    Not bad, my only crit is that at the moment they look a bit too "3d rendered". Maybe adjust the lighting setup your using to make it look more realistic (experiment with HDRI) or overlay parts of photos and textures....or both smile.gif
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    actually yeah, I used HDRI on some of them, and I plan to overlay the ones I just posted, just wanted to give a WIP update since I'm internetless at home frown.gif
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    hey dude, cool stuff smile.gif keep them comming! right now they look to clean i think. each of these textures is very '3d'. that is, pristine and without character. i think each of these need more textural detail, some of them need to be less bright.. the colors could be more vibrant and they're also fairly monotone. here's a few tips that you can try that work for me. i'm a little spacey tonight so you'll have to forgive me if this sounds retarded smile.gif

if you know you want your texture to be a certain color, start with the opposite of that color and build up slowly from there, mixing in different colors with a low opacity hard edged brush, (like a pencil tool) untill you start ending up with the color you want. it'll be waayy more vibrant and have some interesting varience in it. this way you can have a good range of color accross a surface while keeping the color that you want. i see you've got some photo overlays on some of these.. i'd say push it further. a lot of people don't like using overlays but the more i use em the better i get with them. i used to use a whole shit load of texture as a substitute for my ability to properly use color, but there's no reason why you can't totally add tons of easy detail to these guys if you grab a bunch of photos and start very carefuly using them. slapping on a large metal texture overlay might be fine for a base layer, but i find that i get the best results from taking a busted section of one metal texture, some nicks and groves from another, and doing a process of 'photopainting'. i'd play around with that. find some images of dripping grunge and slap that on there. right now some of the grunge you ahve painted doesn't quite fit, especialy on these recent ones. i'm having a big problem identifying a lot of these materials. a lot of that is texture, but a lot is color and shadding as well. they all have the same contrast, the same spec, the same levels. don't be afraid to be brave and go a little nuts. start painting in some sharp highlights on the steel sections.. and make them colorful. mix a bit of the lightsource color in.. darken some of your shaddows if you find that it works. heh sometimes i'll hold back.. worrid that.. hah somehow i'll ruin it or something i guess. always that makes my work worse i find.

right now i think mainly it needs more texture, ESPECIALY more location specific texture. try to imagine a story for your textures. where is this texture? what happend to that screen, for example, when it was installed? is the technician in the lab one of those anoying bastards who touches the damn screen, and there's finger prints all over it? start adding layers of character and detail, and you'll find magicaly that that feeling of them being 'incomplete' somehow all of a sudden goes away.. anyway that's one level. anyway this is all just my 2 cents from where i stand right now..