Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

subway environment.

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
Hello, I've been working on a new environment model for my portfolio. Please have a look by clicking the thumbnail.

subwaythumb_01.jpg

Replies

• Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    these look crisp, love the color palette, and the reflectiveness of the tiles is something i didn't realize was missing from other subway environments i've seen. amazing results also from the lightweight wires and textures (as fas as i can tell...) great work! the garbage strewn about is also a nice touch.

might be a dumb question but how are you generating the light and shadows?

your nba environments are still some of favorites though, so i apologize if this comes off as fanboyish. laugh.gif a master class in environment art for sure...
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Stunning work Malcolm. Max Payne eat your heart out!
    It also seems pretty clear that youre using a GI solution for your lighting set to a low-ish sampling rate? Is this enviro supposed to represent a realtime scene, or pre-rendered? The low polycount and texture resolution indicates realtime but the lighting solution, unless baked out to a seperate set of maps & UV's seems unlikely for a realtime scene?

The enviro/cube? map you've got on the trashcan is a bit too intense or needs to be blurred I feel.

Your dirt & grime is great, but seems a bit generic & random at this point. The reflectivity, specularity of the tiles would be more inconsistant. Also I'd expect more grafitti and cracked tiles with such a high-traffic area. More signs of wear & tear. Areas on the pillar from 3'-7' in height where there a craploads of dirty fingerprints, etc from people touching & rubbing against the surfaces. lower to the ground 0-8" in height on surfaces scuff marks from shoes.

I would expect the stairwells to have handrails yes?

I could be wrong, I imagine you've got great reference whereas Im drawing on half remembered fragments from movie scenes in subways.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks snowfly! Mentalgay render, point lights casting falloff shadows, an ambient light for the really dark areas, some touch up lights for areas that were not receiving light correctly and the ambient occlusion shader to get the fancy pants gradient shadows and add form to areas that are almost completely lit with an ambient light.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scooby, nope, no GI or final gather I hate that shit it is so slow and very hard to tune. This would be for a baked solution, so I did not have any limitations as far as lighting is concerned. All of your following critiques are spot on, unfortunately I ran out of enthusiasm before I got to implementing all that nifty stuff you mentioned. Except for the garbage can it really does look that shiny in real life. The model is inspired by new york but references were taken from multiple subways so it is not based on a specific station.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I should mention the textures on the info page have been scaled down to fit into a collage, the info page is supposed inspire questions from potential employers as well as other artists, it is not meant to be a technical break down but more a piece of art itself with a bit of info crammed into one image.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    Always nice to see environment worrk.. Especially really good ones like this smile.gif

Only grief i have with it is that the refelctivity of the tiles (and trashcan but thats already been pointed out) are a bit too clean and reflective.. I would blur and tone that down a bit.

Also on the 5th shot from the left its either the render or u got some texturedistortion on the wall at the stair

nice work, keep it up!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I think it looks great, but I'd love it if you could take that enviro as a base and make it look like an interesting enviro rather than just the typical subway scene (albeit well done) that we've seen half a hundred times.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    question:

did you use the fight scene near the end of the matrix as reference for this subway?
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great. Ace as usual.
  • egoncalo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    egoncalo polycounter lvl 17
    Looks awesome man, although that barrel is really reflective! My eyes went there before anything else. That is one awesome subway scene!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great Malcolm.

I agree with egoncalo that the barrel/bin thing is really too reflective ... also if the wall tiles are that reflective then maybe parts of the floor should be too?

Nice sharp texturing though, good work! smile.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I think it's crap.

That said, you know I like this dude :P As for the inquiries about the shininess of the garbage can, malcolm's reference image was even shinier, so it's pretty spot on to what he had used. I'm sure he'll post the picture of it to show you all.

I would have liked to see some bump information going on, and some more garbage, but what IS there is b. e. a. utiful.

good job dude.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Great stuff Malcolm. I agree with the reflectivity being a bit too hot. Bringing the lighting down a bit could really help that. Creating pools of light for the flood lights would work really well as well. Color scheme is nice, overall great work.

There's been a lot of awesome environment work posted lately. Makes me want to post some personal work to add in some bad work.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice stuff.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Top stuff as always Malcolm. Really nicely executed. Aside from the other crits, maybe Im smoking crack but i feel like the font on the exit and restroom sign is squashed somehow?
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Malcolm, that is looking very spiffy! Love the lighting.

I have a question about the tile textures. Were those photosourced or made from scratch? I have been having a problem creating any sort of brick/tile texture from scratch. The thing that has been throwing me off is giving the texture depth, as in making it look like the tile actually pops out, without using a bump map to show this.

If the tile wasn't photosourced, how did you go about acheaving this in photoshop? Dodge, burn, bevel, etc?

Thanks man.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    great exectution texture and model wise ! agreed about the trash can beeing too reflective . Makes me remember roscoe street station from max payne 1 eheh ! ( installing game eheeh ) maybe you could show us some textures or wires wink.gif
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Any chance you could put up a non-textured wire shot?

Really awesome work!
  • tokidokizenzen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tokidokizenzen polycounter lvl 17
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives, yeah I think you are right there appears to be some texture stretching there I didn't notice until you mentioned it.

almighty_gir, the subway model is inspired by new york subways, it is not a real station but the matrix subway was in the back of my mind when I built the model as I had just finished the path of neo game which gave me the inspiration to model a subway.

Here is some of the ref I used including the shiny garbage can, perhaps I could have blurred it a bit more.
    subwayrefthumb_01.jpg
    subwayrefthumb_02.jpg

Daz, yeah I think the sign may be a bit off as the size of the model does not match the texture so the texture is actually squashed and then stretched back out by the uv's.

Striff, no sorry I don't do any textures from scratch. There was no bump used though as there was not enough directional light to see it.
    If you want to have a look at the texture you can grab it here.

Johny, If you want to wait for the 2meg download I've comped all the textures into one gigantor .jpg file.

JDinges, is this okay?

subwaywireshotthumb_01.jpg
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Hmph, I am getting an "unexpected end of file" error when opening that tile texture, Malcolm. I'm using CS2....maybe it got corrupt or something...
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try again, it seems to be working now that it is in .zip form.
  • egoncalo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    egoncalo polycounter lvl 17
    That's the cleanest subway garbage can I've ever seen that's in your reference. So I suppose you were right on!
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
  • Phobos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phobos polycounter lvl 18
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    This made me cry a single tear:
    malcosucko.jpg
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaaaaaaaaaaaa! That layer is only named because I have an action which creates the sharpen magic after I am done not naming any of the other layers!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, I never name mine.

Malcolm, that environment is HOT smile.gif
    Very clean, very nice.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    hey, how you get the sharpen as a layer?
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Nice enviroment Malcolm!

[ QUOTE ]
    hey, how you get the sharpen as a layer?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Create a new layer, make sure it's at the top of the layer stack so it will be visible.

2. Image > Apply Image

3. Filters > Sharpen > Sharpen

4. Rename "Layer X" to "sharpen", voila!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    is new york really all that dirty?
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    It looks great.
    Maybe add some Bump mapping to the tiles on the pillars and floor? Maybe its just cuz I can't see it in the images but it seems a little flat. I also find it adds a bit of depth if you add some "splatter reflection" (What I call it) by making a transparrent texture and using the spray tool with low density and making heaps of tiny dots all over the transparency, make it so it tiles nicely then use it as a detail texture and set it to reflective. It makes concrete/sand/rocks look a lot more real. You probably know a better way and I am not really all that good at this type of thing but I figured I would try and give some CC wink.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    is new york really all that dirty?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. In real life, there's more dirt.

smile.gif