Home Technical Talk

Lowpolygon modeling q?

Mcnugget
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Mcnugget polycounter lvl 17
hi im new to these forums and have a few questions about low polygon modeling. First of all i hope i am posting in the correct spot for this ? anyway i was wondering how people are able to make there low polygon mesh so clean? is there a certain technique i must aquire to create a clean mesh? or is there a tutorial i could follow to see how to make a clean mesh?

Replies

• Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    That technique is called careful construction. Or planning your edges beforehand if the model warrants it. Sometimes, it's just digging into the the mesh with cut and delete edge tools, and good old move until it's clean enough. Most times, it's laying down the edge flow in the very early stages of the model and respecting it as you add detail.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    basically a lot of it, i think, is keeping polygon distribution nice and even where possible ... ie. don't put too many edges all clustered together unless it's really necessary... also for human anatomy, follow the shapes of muscles but again don't go too over-detailed, just keep the edges flowing nicely.
    it's the sort of thing that comes with practise, and observing other people's (good) models to see how they handled areas.
  • Mcnugget
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah ive been attempting lowpolygon modeling for some time now and its been frustrating me because when i go to uv map my polygons are all over the place and its very difficult to uv map my modle?

Thnx for replies smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    in that case what you should do is, select all of the polygons and apply a big planar map to them all, that'll organise it all neatly to begin with.
    then you can start selecting areas and planar mapping them, then stitching them together, or you could just Break edges and then run a Relax routine on them. Depends on what program you're using.
  • Mcnugget
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i actually tried the planar mapping but i still always mess something up frown.gif but i will get it soon :
    ) BTW im using max 7