Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hello!

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
Heya,

Long time lurker and I think it's time I started to post.

Looking for some C&C on this model.I made some generic woman with a hat and a dress- just mixed up a bunch of garments from the victorian era. Took a few hours to model and probably double that time to texture. I've got a lot to learn smile.gif

Model was meant to stay under 3500 tris (I hit 3498), one 512 texture for the head, and one 1024 for the body.

Wireframes:

wire1.jpg
wire2small.JPG

Textured:
fulltext.jpg
closeup1small.JPG

And texture sheets:

texturesheetssmall.jpg

Some general notes :

1. The head sheet has a lot of wasted space, I was really apprehensive about painting textures and decided to chop it in half to make life a little easier. Looking at it now, I could have put the hat with no problems.

2. I've had a hard time figuring out Photoshop and painting. Mixing and blending colours without using the smudge tool is still vague for me, I think I've got the general idea but I have a hard time controlling the colours that get plopped. Any tips on this would be awesome! You'll probably notice it on the face a lot.

Replies

• Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, welcome to the forums. smile.gif

This is a good start, but your mesh has some problems. For one thing, try to watch your mesh flow and edge loops. You should have an edge look just abruptly ending, or going all over the place, try to get a smooth natural flow to the mesh. Right now it's kind of a mess. (A good thing to do would be to look around the forums at some of the better models and study how the artist treated the flow of the mesh.)

Also, you have a fair amount of nsided polygons (meaning polygons with more than 4 edges). These can cause all sorts of problems, and just generally make your mesh even more messy.

For the UV layout, you have a lot of wasted space on both maps. Also, try to minimise the seams. (For instance, the back of the torso could be connected to the front.)

For the texturing, I'm nto the best, bu tone thing I notice right away is that you need to define it more. Right now she's feeling fairly flat.

For choosing your colours, my prefered method is to actually choose the colour I want to paint on (whether it be a base colour, highlight, shadow, etc...), then layer it on using a low opacity brush.

Anyways, keep it up, hope this helped some. Someone else can probably help some more as well if needed. smile.gif
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice!

I see a few places where I have n-gons although I didn't think of it too much, I'll make sure I keep things down to quads and tris on my second attempt.

I see what you mean by the wasted space, not sure how I forgot about that when I unwrapped the model.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    The face looks very weird, like she got hit with a heavy object. Overall the entire anatomy seems off. Did you use reference?
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried using an image plane for reference, but in the end I hid it and tried working off what I had. It's really my first decent head (My last two were just terrible), but yea, there's still something off about the anatomy but I'm having issues finding the problem.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    It looks as if her nose isn't extruded from the face at all. Care to post a front- and sideview of the face?
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure

headwire1.JPG

After browsing around, I'm thinking that the cheek needs to be pushed back so it doesn't look so flat from the profile view.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try to find some profiles of the femail head to compare your model to, and critique it from that.

Here's a start.

TN_full_figure103.JPG

Sof rom that I can see that your cheeks need to be lowered and taken back some, you need to round out the face some (I should be able to see the center of her head, but the side blocks it on your model), her nose is too flat, needs to be taken out more, etc...

Try to do the same and critically analyze your model to other photos.
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I'm going to work on it a bit more (I've rounded it out right now, but it's still fairly flat)in the coming weeks by doing various heads + textures. But right now I need to focus on my texturing / painting since I'm sure a penguin could do a better job than me :s
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, deffinatly not a bad idea. You've got a decent starting point though.

I'd suggest working on tradition art though. It will help your texturing hugely.

I've seen this tutorial posted around the forum, and it helped me a fair amount. Use it as a starting point, and work on your traditional drawing skills, painting skills if you can, before (or while) you work with CS. It'll help to no end.
    http://itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

Anyways, keep at it, you've deffinatly got a good start.