Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Zymotic Guns: Progress

Sage
polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Sage polycounter lvl 19
Hi. I'm currently making some guns for this mod. I'll be attempting to normal map them too so any help on getting it done right would help.

Problem:

I made my low poly model sub D friendly so when it got smoothed it wouldn't shrink and so my low poly model would fit as close as possible. When I render out the normal map it still makes seams. I was wondering if there was a quick way around this or do I just have to go in photoshop and clean it up. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Concepts:
gunsZymotic.jpg
gunsZymotic01.jpg
psrifle.jpg

Model
psrifle01.jpg
psrifle03.jpg
psrifle04.jpg

Temp texture not even wip wink.gif
psrifle05.jpg

Sub D version only testing for bevels at the moment.
psrifle06.jpg

Low poly version
psr01.jpg
psr01w.jpg

Alex

Replies

• zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    look innovative smile.gif
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks. I modeled the Rocket Launcher. It currently has 1006 tris but I have not optimized it yet. The Assualt Rifle is made up of 996 tris. Letme know what you think.

rl01.jpg
    rl01w.jpg

Alex
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    The assault rifle looks like it squirts water or bubbles while making some scratchy electronic sounds that may have been considered "SciFi" during the 90s. Try to add some irregularity to those cylinders on the bottom.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    the weapon design is like kdr mentioned , not very appaling, and the laser on the rocket launcher ? is it target seeking ?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    still rather clumpy for normal mapping, not much point. normal mapping for guns works best if you have lots of detail on the clumpy bits
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    The assault rifle you modeled looks more suited as being some kinda of plasma gun - and I think would look better if the round areas were actually clear with some kind of plasma swirling around inside.

The rocket launcher looks really nice.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks for the feedback. I haven't actually started to do the high poly detail for the guns. Right now I'm just establishing the sillohuette of the guns to see how they look. There will be tons of floating bits on these when I bake the normal maps.

The bubbles cylinder is actually a plasma generator that charges up and shoot the hell out anything it hits. wink.gif Johhny I like the laser on the rocket launcher. The idea behind it was that the shooter paints his target and the rockets follow. The guns should get nicer once I get to the detail phase, some of you guys liked the last one I did. wink.gif Sorry if they are not much to look at at the moment. None of the guns are textured, and Irritant there will be plasma in that rifle.

Alex
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    still rather clumpy for normal mapping, not much point. normal mapping for guns works best if you have lots of detail on the clumpy bits

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly. The designs look cool, but there's simple not enough detail on it. Check out the jaw-dropping details on the weapons in Gears of War. Those are simply amazing examples of great normal mapping on weapons.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    Try altering already exsisting weps, and study the form. Pay attention to how they work mechanically and your designs will be more beliveable. And my spelling continues to get worse. In fact I could have corrected it instead of typing this sentance.