Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Winchester Cathedral

Benjie
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Benjie polycounter lvl 17
Well I finally got around to finishing the texture for this, or atleast I feel it is finished. There are a few noticable repeats on the texture but I need to move on to other projects and I am running out of time. The focal point is the front door so I have modeled more detail there and less at the far back windows.

44482255076.jpg

47432461022.jpg
85862639928.jpg
68150929463.jpg
20016092523.jpg

The Uv Maps both are 1024x1024 but I have downsized then to 512x512 for the forum.

05258357449.jpg
88748917229.jpg

Thanks.

Replies

• Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    That looks pretty awesome. What is it for? On the sheet the textures look a little cartoony, but on the model they seem to looks fine.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i believe they look cartoony on the sheet because he slaped the uvw edges on them eheheh , i like it !
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Ohhhh... yeah. That makes me look stupid. I guess I didn't look too closely.
  • Benjie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yea forgot to mention it is a showpiece model for my demo reel. It is main thing in a medieval scene, which I have modeled 5 houses and a few props for as well. I have not finished with those yet so I will post my whole scene when those are complete.

Any critiques that you can see for the texture or the model? (Even though I only posted one wire frame) if you want different angles of wire frame I can post them.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    the lightning on the textures themseld seem a bit "munchy" like you didnt make a "fake" lightsource on them. i would try to, since it is lowpoly and doesnt use actual fancy shading crap .
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Intense UV’s, but you could have easily mirrored and reused a lot more of the texture space, and got more detail out of a single 1024 (or less). As in, a lot of your windows, trims, brick patterns, etc are exactly the same, so they should share the same UV space. I'd also remove the dark splotches from the textures (mainly the roof tile), to reduce noticeable tiling.

Otherwise, the modeling looks ok, though I'm not thuroughly convinced by the box on the back.

Look pretty good overall.
  • Benjie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Johny: The lighting is not final it was just temp so there would be some kind of shadows.

Cholden: Yea there are a few windows that I could of put over top but didn’t realize that I made a mistake in the uv mapping till I started texturing it.

thanks
  • yeluis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
    looks real nice, though you could have put in a bit more subtle colors into the textures to break the monotony that the whole color scheme gives. a lot can be done in that area with the windows. Very nice texture sheets though Benjie but id would have mirrored more than what y9ou have.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    It looks pretty good, but a wee bit tiley. Just fudging your UVs around a little can help with that. A nice lighting pass should really pull this piece together well. For any details that are defined solely by textures, which will end up being flat-lit, I'd hit them up with a little bit of false shadowing in the texture. Lightmaps should take care of the rest.