Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environmental textures - SeedtHC

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
nkoste polycounter lvl 18
Greetings polycounters. I'm particularly proud to show you this, my first professional work smile.gif

Last summer I worked in a small game development company named Runestone where I did environmental textures for their newly released MMORPG Seed - the Human Condintion

Likely the game can't compete with most big MMO's out there, but it's an interesting new angle on what MMOs could be like. It features non-combat, diplomatic roleplaying and already won "Best Persistent world", Stratics Golden Cogs Award at E3 2006. The first danish MMO game ever made! A 17 people production company running relatively tiny budget compared to the companies which usually make MMOs. I was the only texture artist to begin with. 3 more texture artists joined after I left - so I got to set the standard cool.gif

Feedback most welcome smile.gif

Check it out
seedthegame.com

Some portfolio renders:

rad_bridge.jpg

socket.jpg

cablebundle.jpg

columns.jpg

gallery_wall2.jpg

Replies

• ckaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ckaos polycounter lvl 18
    Lovely work !
    I must say i enjoyed the art direction and style a lot better that the a bit too buggy game:) The cartoony black outlines and overrall high tech art work well together.
    Congrats on a job well done!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    really enjoy the playful cartoon style, and it does make me want to see a whole world full of it.. Makes me think a bit of Dead Leaves anime
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    makes me think of doom while on ecstasy. confused.gif
  • polybrained
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polybrained polycounter lvl 17
    the colour scheme is a really nice touch. very cool env to stand out from the rest of the mmo world.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    this looks awesome. 90% of the time people want to be special and make cell shaded stuff it looks very crappy, but you managed to bring some great depth and style into it smile.gif. I love it
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, this is very impressive. Typically I don't like that style, but I'm really digging these. Thanks for posting em. smile.gif
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    Seed - THC

Cause thats not a pot reference at all...
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh man.... this is totally a pot game
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, seed is about growing weed on planet DaVinci. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Couple more early ones:
    innerwall.jpg

outerwall.jpg

graphic elements © Runestone Game Development. Used with permission.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i love it , its : original , well achieved , nice colours ...simply brilliant , love that look !
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Great work man, It's definately up there with some of the cellshaded style textures I've seen. It's kind of a realistic cellshade if I could call it that.
    Basically what Peris said above - "this looks awesome. 90% of the time people want to be special and make cell shaded stuff it looks very crappy, but you managed to bring some great depth and style into it smile.gif. I love it"

-caseyjones
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks everybody. I haven't really said much about the style so here's the basics.
    I hadn't really done any graphic novel style texturing before I got to runestone, but I caught it pretty fast. I had a lot creative freedom on the project, but the art director had also laid a really solid groundwork for me to use, which was superb.

We worked with a pallette of 2-3 primary colors per location. I usually quickly brushed the background layer in a matter of minutes. The thing that really took time was doing all the black linework in the textures and getting it just right. I tried to work a lot with composition and balance the line width to create depth and make it look interesting.

It also real nice to have something in my portfolio that stands out from my other stuff. So I'm glad I got this gig.

smile.gif really appreciate the comments
  • RickA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RickA polycounter lvl 18
    The style is absolutely lovely. I was just wondering what kind of polycounts do you have on those first few shots?
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks RickA. Our modelers just went insanely low with the polycounts, but I was also impressed with how much shape they were able to retain and how much they could do with just a few polys. Reason for the low pc is the sheer size of the world and the amount of characters it's supposed to support, I guess.

I put the small greenish box in the location to have a reference to an ordinary sized man, if you recognize the shape. You can tell that the polycounts are fairly low, but that's only cool if you're a texture artist wink.gif

pit_wireframe.jpg
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...Reason for the low pc is the sheer size of the world and the amount of characters it's supposed to support, I guess...

[/ QUOTE ]I managed to get in on the beta test for this a month or two before going live and thought the art work was pretty neat and quite distinctive (it's one of the few games that have actually made me say "oh, this makes a refreshing change!"), and yeah, you didn't really notice the low poly appearance becasue of the texture work, it hid it very well.

Performance was a real kick in the goolies for my PC though as it looked like they were using a lot of particles effects as well as having loads of people on screen..