Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character - Gladiator

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Vorge polycounter lvl 18
This is a character I just finished working on. I'm pretty proud of how it turned out, I have been working on my texturing forever and I think this really came out pretty good. But I wanted to get some crits and feedback to help me on my next smile.gif so please if you would be so kind as to give me some it would be great. Love all the work on these boards.

Concept Doodle:
glad_concept.jpg

Final Model:
Glad_Final.jpg

Little bit of something fancy...
gladiator_turn.jpg

Hope you like it wink.gif

-Patrick

Replies

• Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Looks really nice man, I like the concept.
    You've got the shading down pretty well, but what I think could help making this model pop just a little more is a little colour variance especially in the skin tones. I have the exact same problem when I paint my textures.
    The anatomy of the dude is also a bit off, but can easily be fixed. He's looking a little stunted at the moment, kinda dwarfish.

-caseyjones
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty cool stuff, I like the concept and in general the execution is fairly good.

I particularly like the concept! It may be a doodle, but it's effective and nicely done.

Some issues that I notice:

- Anatomy isn't very accurate. That bicep is huuuuge and nothing at all like realistic. Similarly the muscles in the abdomen are fairly large and misshapen, and the lumpy bits above near the curve of the ribcage (which is probably too high) aren't making much sense.

- The head is too big, makes him seem a tad cartoony, which I think isn't the appropriate effect for a character such as this.

- There isn't any variation in the flesh colour, it's all a lighter or darker version of the same base colour. Get some more interesting hues into the shadows and highlights and around the face.

- The way you've painted the texture on the shin guard armour isn't making much sense - I understand what you're trying to do there, but that lighting would only make sense if there was a light right between his knees, which is unlikely. You could maybe make this look better by keeping the lighting consistent on either side and highlighting only near the centre of the armour where it comes to a point.

- He has no pupils? Can't tell if this is intentional or not, and if that's the case it usually means something should be changed. Either give him normal eyes, or make the abnormality even more obvious (ie. glowing clich
  • Vorge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vorge polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the crits. Yes, Casey.. variation in color on skin is giving me a problem. I know it has to be there, but I really don't know how to go about putting it in without it looking like an obvious change in color. In my past experiments I have yet to find a solid meathod to employ this.

Mop, thank you for the breakdown. As you list them off I do see my own problems. Thank you for the complaiment on the concept, and yes the shapes and armor looked a lot more interesting in the drawing. I was down to the wire on the deadline for this character so I unfortunatly had to make changes to the mesh, and this was my first attempt at painting anything metal and making those organic shapes was NOT coming out how I wanted them to. In my next mesh I hope to incorporate more of my organic armor with this new knowledge of texturing. I enjoy making fantasy style armor, organic metal and all that fun stuff.. but when it comes to 3D I'm still not sure how to do it OR accent it correctly in texture.

I will definetly look into all those crits for my next model. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.

-Pat
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Mop will have touched on some of these, orgive me if I repeat.

Hands are too small, and he seems to have no wrists - like a baby or a fat person.

For the upper arm, imagine that it is split into 2 - the bottom half contains the bluk of the bicep, and the top is shoulder muscle. Most people forget how far the deltoids come down the arm:

DeltoidAnteriorFront.gif

Also, the right arm wit hte amrour looks like he has a hunch or is doing a half shrug.

As he is a gladiator, you may want to consider giving him more beef on his thighs and calves. His fett are probbly too small, but it's not easy to see from the images posted.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    skin_tones.jpg

these are skintones i use/stole from someone's drawing, i think one of Per's or the itchstudios.com guy... smile.gif

the RGB incase the jpg didn't preserve the colors correctly.
    255, 242, 226
    251, 216, 186
    245, 192, 160
    202, 137, 107 - base
    155, 92, 75
    131, 81, 80
    118, 92, 91 - warm shadow
    89, 91, 104 - cool shadow
  • Vorge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vorge polycounter lvl 18
    Wow Asherr, thanks a ton :P
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Bear in mind that those skin tones are just one person's adaptation, and shouldn't be used as an absolute rule.

Instead of just using that and picking colours, understand why saturation increases in folds, or why the hue might shift at a highlight.

By all means pick colours from photographs of people to get skin tones - but don't just do it blindly... pay attention to how the hue and saturation is changing in different areas, and consider why this might be.

Skin reflecting light onto more skin, for example, results in increased saturation... also the area at the edge of a shadow tends to be more saturated ... highlights might tend to be more blue in an outdoor setting due to reflected sky light... etc etc.

There's a huge amount of variables that change how flesh looks like it does. Look at as much reference as you can, look at other artists' work, but never think that there is just a rule that "this colour goes here, always" ...

Hope you see what I mean smile.gif