Home Technical Talk

Seeking guidance

nomichi
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
nomichi polycounter lvl 17
First off let me say I've been lurking on and off here for years to view the great work that is posted up in the pimping and previews.

I used to draw all the time up until around 10th grade or so. I mostly just sketched, never did much color work. I was actually pretty good for my age/experience. Well at least everyone seemed to think so. I enjoyed drawing people, characters from comics and creating my own fantasy characters etc. The problem is I lost touch with art. I went through a few bad moves and problems in the family and just kind of got derailed so to speak.

So here I am wanting to get back into art. I'm 25 now and I don't have as much free time as I used to but I think I could find an hour or two a day to devote to re-learning some techniques. I'm just not sure where I should start. I know I still have some skill engrained in me somewhere. I just need to find it again. I used to be so creative and now I just feel like it's tucked away somewhere and I can't find it.

It's been a long time since I had an art class. What I was kind of hoping was that someone might be able to provide some exercises that I could do each day. I would like to be able to create my own characters again from my imagination. I would like to learn to use color in my work(i have photoshop and a wacom graphire).

I need recommendations on materials as well. I don't remember what kind of pencils I used to use. I have a few drawing pencils that I found stored away and I have mechanical pencils. What is recommended? I also used to have a drawing table( or are they called drafting tables?) but that was discarded in a move I guess. I need to purchase another one but I'm having trouble finding something affordable. Are they all expensive?

So anyway, if anyone can offer some guidance I would very much appreciate it. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Regards,
Tim

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    I'd say just jump into it, start sketching.

Materials don't matter, you'll get a feel for what you like after awhile. Any unlined paper will do, simple pencil is fine. Table doesn't matter, unless your back starts to hurt.

Get feedback as you go, by posting in P&P.
  • Cthogua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    If you're interested in learning some color theory, you should check out "Color Choises," or "Painters Guide to Color" by Stephen Quiller. They're both taught mostly from the perspective of watermedia but for the most part its about color relationships not paint handling or technique. Of course, no amount of information can take the place of actual work. I think I read somewhere that for every hour of theory you read on painting or drawing you should spend 50 practicing that theory.

I agree with Eric in that you should just jump in, however without some direction that can very quickly turn into a frustrating dead end. I would recommend doing studies, from life, pictures, anatomy books, wildlife mags whatever. Its not the most fun thing ever, but it will improve your media handling (just because you're working with it), your knowledge of whatever you are studying, and your eye...3 birds with one pencil! I would say try not to copy other artist work too much...it can be tremendously educational, but be aware you are inheriting any mistakes and design choises that artist made.
  • nomichi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nomichi polycounter lvl 17
    Thank you both. I guess you are right I should just jump in. I will find some pictures of people to use for studies for now. I really need to work on some shading technique so I'm going to try to find some info on that. I will look into those books if/when I can afford to...unless they are at the local library.

Also, can anyone recommend any books or tutorials on moving from traditional to digital? Is this necessary? I'm not sure how well traditional techniques translate into digital. I'm sure this is a whole other area of study and I should just focus on improving my traditional skills first.