Corry Frydlewicz
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Corry Frydlewicz polycounter lvl 17
Hemiseraph1_thumb.jpg
Hemiseraph2_thumb.jpg
Hemiseraph3_thumb.jpg
Hemiseraph4_thumb.jpg

I 've finished the wings, and the blocking so far. Right now, I'm modeling the head. I'm really happy with the new loops I'm using.

Hemi13_front_thumb.jpg
Hemi13_side_thumb.jpg
Hemi13_persp_thumb.jpg

I think I'm gonna unwrap and block out some textures pretty soon. Getting that done helps me model more detail later on.

Replies

• Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Is this the hi-res for normal map extraction?

Looks like a very dense mesh to work with, you could have fewer loops and maintain the same form...i personally find too many loops can cause pinching (at least in high poly/normal mapping situation) plus it's a pain to manipulate.

Here's a topology example that i like to use:
    polyregions8pc5lv.th.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Hemiseraph? Is that a hybrid of seraph and human?

Your head design is quite different to what you've got modelled there - far broader for a start.

One thought - seraphim are usually represented as 4-winged children (or disembodied heads with four wings). The new version of the face you've got there is quite mature looking and may perhaps not be ideally suited to the character.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    head model looks completely different than concept... why would you unwrap before you're done modeling? you're just gonna end up having to redo the uvs or tweak them for hours to get it work right after changing the mesh. Make a model that looks great by itself first, than a texture that makes it look even better, if you rely on your texture making your model look good its not really a sucsessful model.

You have WAY too many polys for the detail you have currently, block out the model with simple geo and get the proportions correct, make it look good low res and then add more detail to finish it off.
  • Corry Frydlewicz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used those loops before and it didn't flow that well when I did my blend shapes. These are the loops I got from someone I know in the industry and so far they've been working great.

I can probably remove a few cuts, we'll see how messed up the unwrap is. Thanks for the suggestions ^^
  • Corry Frydlewicz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This version of a seraph actually has 4 arms instead. He is sort of a fallen angel, hence the aged look on his face. His wings are mechanical and grafted into his spine.

"Hemis" was more of a Hemisphere idea than a human idea, but it works that way too. He's a mortal that was once immortal.

When you say the head model is "broader", do you mean its face is wider and flatter? Should I push in a little bit?
  • Corry Frydlewicz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    why would you unwrap before you're done modeling?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I like being able to mark up my mesh for reference. And my loops are usually solid enough that the unwrap barely changes even after I add detail.

I'm also trying alot of different methods to see what I like best. If this doesn't work out I'll go back to straight model > Texture > Rig > etc.

[ QUOTE ]
    You have WAY too many polys for the detail you have currently, block out the model with simple geo and get the proportions correct, make it look good low res and then add more detail to finish it off.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yea that seems to be the agreement among most of my critiques so far. I'l definitely cut him down a bit and sculpt a little more.

Thanks everyone!
  • Corry Frydlewicz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Better?

Hemi14_flat_thumb.jpg
    Hemi14_wire_thumb.jpg

I know it needs some smoothing, but I cut down the polys a little and reshaped him a bit.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    He's still fairly lacking in detail. Personally I'd be inclined to strip out a good 60-70 percent of the polys you've got in the face now and only add them as they're needed to define the form.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    hope you dont mind, here are some quick crits before i hit the sack. they aren't ment to sound cold. i'm just writing them fast. smile.gif

1) The head is to tall all together you could scale it about .75 on the y axis and it would come across as better.

2) the nose bridge is very wide, and the nostrils are slightly wider than the should be.

3) It looks as if the chin is to "fat" it looks like it needs to be a little less flat and scaled it on the x axis

4) the neck is to fat.

5) the jawline looks to be a little more defined in your concept.

6) try to keep your edge loops around the head evenly spaced. it will give it a nice smooth look. The closer the edge loops are the more definition you'll get. When an edge loop gets closer to another one you start getting a harder line and you dont want that on a smooth surface. smile.gif

It needs work but its not to bad. keep at it man. smile.gif
  • Corry Frydlewicz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really appreciate the detailed "cold" ^^ crits guys. Here's the latest:

Hemi15_front_thumb.jpg
    Hemi15_side_thumb.jpg
    Hemi15_top_thumb.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eyes are too big, Head should be 5 eye widths across, with 1 eye width between the two.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    definantly looking better though. smile.gif

here's a quick paintover to help you out. its rough but it touches on some of the things that I see wrong. Overlay the two images in photoshop to see the changes.

hemiseraph_nopaintover.jpg
    hemiseraph_paintover.jpg

Also the head over all is to rounded square shaped. Try to round it out. smile.gif
  • Corry Frydlewicz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a bunch for that paintover Sean ^^

Hemi16_front_thumb.jpg
    Hemi16_side_thumb.jpg

(the ears are obviously not yet attached or editted)
  • Corry Frydlewicz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hemi17_thumb.jpg

lit him and changed a few cuts.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    hm, any chance of getting a straight profile shot, and maybe a top-looking-down shot? looks like his over-all proportions might be too skinny... that can often happen when sticking to a sheet in the front/side views and not checking it out enough in perspective. Or, at least, it happened to me a lot.
  • Corry Frydlewicz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hemi18_body_thumb.jpg
    Hemi18_head_thumb.jpg

You were right! When I looked closely in perspective with the lights on, the jawbone was screwed up. Good call.

I fixed a bit. I blocked out the body too. Any notes on scaling would be appreciated. I'm not too sure about the head's scale relative to the body.
  • Corry Frydlewicz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hemi22_thumb.jpg

The last view has NURMS on. It's going into Zbrush, so thats a decent indication I figure.

He'd have alot lower count if I could chamfer or leave tris more, but he's not too bad at about 6k tri.

18 spans down the arms for the hands... I was told 20 is standard, but it seems high. I shared most of them between the two arms for some slightly twisty edges, but it should animate alright considering his range of arm motion isn't too wide.
  • Corry Frydlewicz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cut him up a little more for skinning later on, then did hair.

I have no clue how to do hair, but I looked up some tutorials online. They all disagreed, so I kinda did a grey area in between.

Hemi24_hair_thumb.jpg
  • Corry Frydlewicz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hemi36_thumb.jpg

Started Zbrushing today ^^
  • Corry Frydlewicz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Corry Frydlewicz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i must question how you intend both sets of arms to work properly given his current anatomy.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    The new head looks incredibly out of place.

He's got a reverse tan.
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    This crit comes in kind of late in the game, but it's something you can chew on in future projects.

Right now, the arms don't feel like they are incorperated into the body correctly. It looks like there are four arms where there should be two. Like he's trying to be human, but just misses the mark (deformities come to mind). It can be difficult to create new anatomy on something we are so familiar with (in this case, a human). By pushing one of the arms forward to make room for another arm just throws him off. If you want to keep a human undertone, I think keeping one set of arms in the human position and putting the second set on the back or under the arms or somewhere else would help associate him with a human. The second set would have to have some inventive anatomy to make it look functional (the deltoid might not be the best choice for an arm sticking out of the back).

Something also looks odd about the torso from the side, but it might be some three-fourth view illusion.

Head is looking good by itself, but it's a bit big for the body. The scaring on the forehead could use some more love. At the moment, it looks like a simple stroke with ZBrush. Maybe some kind of sharp edge somewhere (right now it's too soft and uniform a deformation)? Hopefully you're planning on changing the body color to better match the head?

Keep going mate!