Home Technical Talk

3dsmax - Edge moving in EPoly causes crash!?

MoP
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MoP polycounter lvl 18
Right, this is an intensely annoying bug which only appeared in the last week or so. I haven't installed any new plugins or software between when it was working fine and now, so I highly doubt it's that, and I can't think of anything that's changed to bring this bug about.

Basically I can do anything to a selected edge in EPoly, rotate, scale, connect, collapse ... EXCEPT move.

With the Select and Move tool active, trying to move an EPoly edge (or edges) results in an instantaneous error message, backup save and crash.

It's happening to any scene, old or new. EMesh objects are fine ... I made a new scene, made a Box, converted to EMesh, moved edges all around no problem ... converted that to EPoly, and the very second I try to move an edge the whole program dies. Very irritating.

I'm sure I've heard other people mention similar problems before, but I'd never experienced it till now.

I'm hoping I don't have to reinstall, but it looks like it might be my only option, unless someone can shed light on this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

PS. Please don't say stuff like "haha max sucks, use a different app", because that's just counterproductive and makes you look like a moron. Pre-empted!

Replies

• Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    Mop a co worker of mine had that same exact problem for a while, i'll ask him when i see him online next,

see if he figured out how to fixerlate it
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turn off Macro Recorder.

haha Max sucks!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    OK, what the hell!
    Eric, thanks a million, it seems to be working fine again now!

Odd thing is, I'm pretty sure I've had Macro Recorder turned on for a long while and stuff was all working fine then.

Is there some sort of point where it just flips out and breaks stuff? That's a pretty nasty bug.

Anyway, thanks again, and yes in this respect Max does suck! Haha smile.gif

I should really start some sort of Paypal donation sometime soon for the "Eric Chadwick Appreciation Fund", and anyone who he helps out just donates $1, then when it reaches a certain amount (easily $50 in a month), we can buy him a present! laugh.gif
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was just as stumped as you, submitted it last Feb. as a bug, they sent me that solution.

I just read the short story "Maneki Neko" by Bruce Sterling last night, that's the PayPal of the future.