Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Untitled Project - Andrew Hamilton

Replies

• Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Must have missed this. Great work Effekted! And yay for turning off jet black hard edged stencil buffered shadows!

So you just hand painted the light in? Or generated lightmaps somehow and overlayed into the colour maps?
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    very moody, i like it
  • Effekted
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Effekted polycounter lvl 17
    Cheers Daz. I just hand paint the lighting straight into the diffuse smile.gif
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Man, seeing work like this gets me real motivated. Kick ass job on everything overall, it's got a great feel to it.

Any timeframe on when more info on the MEGAtexture thing will be released? When I first heard about MEGAtexture it sounded like a marketing gimmick. But if this is the detail you can get from it sign me up.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    do you paint in 3d or straight into photoshop? can't wait to see more!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's cool to have all that unique texturing without too much of a hit on texture memory. Though, the storage space for textures would balloon massively.

[/ QUOTE ]

These days thats not much of an issue, especially when it comes to PC gaming. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    I would.

Instead of a handful of tiling textures, you've got one gigantic one (for a level).

Let's do an example... This is pretty theoretical, but let's say you'd normally use 32 1024s to texture a level, but the megatexture version is 1 32,0000. That's 33,554,432 pixels VS 1,024,000,000 pixels. That's 30x the storage space. Not insignificant.

Of course compression and texture formats do factor in here somewhere; but I'm just saying in general that megatextures have the potential to ballon the size of games significantly. Maybe it's enough to start hitting the limits of DVD storage that we thought would be plenty enough for this generation (xbox360) and start eating up up hard drives that we thought were large.

It's not like I'm against it or anything (I love uniquely texturing stuff), but it's just something I've been thinking about.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    its not like you have to use mega texturing on everything, you can use it where it looks good,and its not like you have to use a 32,000 texture, thats just the max size. and i dont think the reason Andrew posted this was to turn into a debate about mega texturing, he has already waved the fifth on the matter, i think if we want to discuss it further we should make a dedicated thread and just wait till it comes out,any comments we make now are all theoretical at this point cause only a few of us really knows how it works and it seems mums the word.
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah arsh, I was just speaking theoretically. Not really trying to pump for information, just thinking out loud; anyways, most of the beans have been spilled by Carmack in a recent iterview.

I do wonder about workflows with giant textures, but I'm sure all that info will come in time.

Anyways... Effekted: I really think it could use just a -bit- of color to set it off; maybe some slight color shifts from material to material or in the lighting/shadows.

An enviro like this would also work really nicely with post effects like color grading or maybe even an aged film (movie film) effect.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    It's not often you see environment work full of real artistry posted here on polycount. This stuff is gorgeous. I'm going to have peppi hump you in the face for me next time he visits the office. Thanks for posting this, all right clicked > saved.

poop.gif
  • Effekted
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, it's been a while! Just a quick update this time as i haven't had a whole lot of time to work on personal projects the last few months. Almost ready to move onto the outside area

Just 2 ingame shots:

andrewhamilton_project_ingame01.jpg

andrewhamilton_project_ingame02.jpg
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    this defnitly looks great but havign a unique / normalized / unwrapped texture for an entire room ?! sure thats great for batching but in the long run plain simply not applicable for a game (unless you have a little loading break after each room ala resident evil)
  • Sa74n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    warby is a noob. megatexture for everything is indeed applicable for games smile.gif

awesome work, andrew. but did you desaturate it?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    aren't you forgetting the whole megatexture thing?
    looks amazing! real nice balance of low-contrast areas and highlights
    edit: beat to it smile.gif
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    so question how do you edit a mega tetxure i dont believe that photoshop can open a 32.000 x 32.000 pixel image !
  • Black_Dog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Black_Dog polycounter lvl 17
    This looks really cool. Let me guess as to your motivation painting the lighting into a unique diffuse - stencil shadows are way too ugly and expensive, and in order to shadow a scene nicely a precomputed or painted lightmap is needed. However d3/etqw has no lightmap or multiple texcoord support, so that lightmap has to either be plopped down on some duplicate geometry (bad for performance, prone to z-buffer artifacting) or share the uv space of the world textures. If you choose the latter unique texturing is pretty much necessary in order to be able to paint your lighting, so you might as well make use of it with all that lovely detail.

So, my guess is that megatexture plays no part and you've done this simply in order to get nice soft shadows into etqw.

Oh yeah, Mike (Hynenen) says hi.

<- perth boy
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Could we see wireframe shots of that hallway scene? Looks top notch!

How is performance on a non-topline machine? The gargantuan (love that word) textures would make a heavy impact, one would think.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    very impressive! i'd also like to see a wireframe. if you allowed to show the editor.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great Andrew, can't wait to see how you handle the outdoor area! smile.gif
  • CMB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CMB polycounter lvl 18
    Not enough cobwebs. tongue.gif
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Looks all grey like resident evil? Please add light and shadow to create form. The papers look like they are floating above the environment. Texture resolutions look nice and high res.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perhaps I missed this as well, but are you megatexuring this scene? (ei; everything is on one massive texture) Or are they just several huge textures? And what resolutions are you using?

Really top notch work smile.gif
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    really cool stuff man, my only concern is that the floor in the corridor seems a bit overscaled to me, other than that, really nice render, no wonder why Quake Wars env look so hot smile.gif
  • yeluis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
    hands down spectacular, real nice job with the texturing. its falling a little to ont he gray side but dude that looks freaking sweet.
  • Effekted
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys please don't turn this into an ETQW/Megatexture thread as there's many questions here i simply cannot answer :/ This work is personal work and has nothing to do with quake wars or its engine smile.gif

Your pretty much spot on Black Dog.. im painting the lighting into the diffuse to get around stencil shadows as this is only a portfolio piece of work to simply show the visuals, im not concerned about performance, texture budgets (even though that isnt a problem with future engines) etc etc. I do have the limitation of textures being a max size of 4096 pixels though.

I'll post the wires for you all when i get the chance...

Say hi to Mike for me! laugh.gif
  • game-ready
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    game-ready polycounter lvl 17
    I don't care what this is for. wink.gif Amazing work, I love the all the detail/lighting.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My references to megatexture weren't meant to be aimed at the megatexture tech itself.
    What I meant was, are you using a single massive texture for the whole scene, or several smaller textures?
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    He just said he was using 4096x4096 textures wink.gif

Looking fuzzucking sweet laugh.gif