Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

So I have a new hobby ... VOICE ACTING!

Kirin
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Kirin polycounter lvl 18
You guys thought I was dead! ...

FAT CHANCE! It's just that I haven't been doing any texture-work in ages. Instead, I have been exploring my long-lost talent for Voice Acting.

With that said, I'd like to "pimp off" a movie that features my Voice Acting skills [click the poster to watch]:

page2_blog_entry45_1.jpg

Double D Productions' The Legend of Sleepy Hollow: http://movies.lionhead.com/movie/79828 . It's a movie created by Lionhead's The Movies game. I play the role of Ichabod Crane.

I hope you like it. smile.gif

Now, I'd probably come back to modeling but I'll probably doing more simpler objects instead of the complicated stuff that most of you are probably used to seeing from the well-known modellers here.

But I just wanted to let you know that I haven't fell off the planet or anything. smile.gif Instead, during the summer, I'm going to put together a Demo Tape and hopefully get hired somewhere doing this sort of thing, if there's a demand for it in the game industry. Maybe they could use someone like me ... heh heh cool.gif. Although, I feel like I'm improving this skill quicker than I thought, which I guess is a good thing.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the film!

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm, unfortunately I wasn't really wowed by any of the voice performances in it. The narrator was the most interesting of the bunch, although his characterization was overdone, made it more of a comedy but there weren't any real jokes in the script. So I wasn't sure if this was an attempt at dry comedy, or if it was an attempt at drama.

To be totally honest, your voice didn't seem all that interesting, sounded like your average college roommate voice rather than a talented character actor. I think it will just take more practice, recording your voice and listening to it, comparing it to really good voice talent to keep your ear "fresh." Though to really hone that skill it will require some acting classes, and ideally a voice talent coach.

I hope you don't mind some constructive criticism. I wasn't going to post anything since I couldn't think of anything positive about the performance, but there were no responses, and I think you deserve at least one comment. Also maybe this will jog others to post their thoughts.

There's a difference between treating it as a hobby or as a paying skill. Some people have innate voice and acting skill, others have to work at it, you might be in the latter category.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I have to say I agree with Eric here. While a film made in a game such as The Movies might not be an ideal medium to practise voice acting, I guess it's better than nothing.

It sounded to me as if you were speaking the lines as you were reading them off a script, rather than memorised. Apologies if you did actually memorise them and speak them back, but a lot of the sentences just didn't have a natural flow that would come with knowing the lines and how they should be spoken. To me, it tended to sound a tad slow and uncertain in most places.

I'm sure if you keep practising and maybe try some live-action acting (maybe try to set up a podcast-style miniseries with some friends), you'll be able to overcome these first issues.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I understand that this is still very WIP but there's a big problem that you should fix ASAP. I've made a quick paintover for you:

page2_blog_entry45_1%20copy.jpg
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Many voice actors are in fact professional actors. If your really serious about this you need to take acting courses and start trying to get parts in plays.

As what has been said, you presently have nothing special to offer. However, this is because you don't have the background yet to understand the nuances needed. Right now your voice sounds dull and lifeless. Like someone trying to speak through a mouth full of cotton. The lines should flow from you as if you were the character.

Also, when you feel you are ready you should join the acting guild and look for jobs in radio and such. Its not a direct route to games only voice acting.
  • Kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kirin polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I've been volunteering my voice to various small projects on the TMO community for only a few months now so I don't expect to become a professional overnight. However, I'm always looking to becoming better in a many aspects. smile.gif I'm sure I could be pro-like if I put some thought into it.

I have to agree that some of my acting was a bit stale in some parts. I knew it could have been better but that's because I was told the voice overs were due much sooner than I thought and had to get them in soon. I was reading a script in which I had to assume the direction where it was going based on the dialogue alone. I did read and memorize the lines but without hearing another person talking to me in real-time, I had to imagine how this person was going to respond to me. That, and all the voice actors were in various parts of the world. It's not like all of the people were in a studio or anything.

As with taking classes, I'll have to consider that someday ... right now, I'm a little poor myself and seeing that I already have a four-year degree, I'm not sure if I could apply for certain kinds of financial aid.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I'll put use to it in my future projects. smile.gif