polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
arshlevon polycounter lvl 18

Replies

• rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    haha the ork was brilliant, and the dwarf spitting blood
    edit: anyone know of a way to save this? I got a flv file from my temp files but I dont seem to have anything that plays it
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Oh man. Blur has done it again! They really, really need to make a feature-length Warhammer film.
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    the gameplay looks awesome!
  • SyaPed
    Offline / Send Message
    SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
    I think it's kinda stupid trying to get people to laugh during an intro to what's supposed to be the darkest, bloodiest and bleakest fantasy universe.

Technically very nice though. I'm more excited about what Digic is creating.

PS: Elves were gay.
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    loved the orcs in general... those guys looked really cool... pretty funny though how far that cinematic is from the look and feel of the actual game though... the game just looks like wow. I'm just kind of wondering how they are planning to compete with wow... it has alot of the same races, they haven't announced alot about the actual gameplay, but seems like it would be alot of very similar stuff, and ... it looks just like wow from all those screenshots on the site.
  • Malekyth
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think it's kinda stupid trying to get people to laugh during an intro to what's supposed to be the darkest, bloodiest and bleakest fantasy universe.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be stupid to ignore the humor of the universe, too! It's there, and you don't need to look far. All you need to do is find something with green skin. I mean ... goblin fanatics! GOBLIN FANATICS!!
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Blur never disappoints in their game cinematics, but i want to see the real-time gameplay video smile.gif hopefully in a few days we can see it.
  • SyaPed
    Offline / Send Message
    SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be stupid to ignore the humor of the universe, too! It's there, and you don't need to look far. All you need to do is find something with green skin. I mean ... goblin fanatics! GOBLIN FANATICS!!

[/ QUOTE ]

There is some humor, but it is far from being a major theme of the universe or even the orcs. GW have been moving away from the 'comical' orcs for a long time now. I just don't think it makes sense to put something like that in an intro.
  • Tulkamir
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome. laugh.gif

And Rooster, they have .avi files you can save.
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    WoW goblin

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/shared/wow-com/images/characters/ingame/goblin-banker.jpg

Warhammer online goblin
    http://img425.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gob8iz.jpg

WoW orc

http://wow.allakhazam.com/images/fashion/ToughScorpidBracersOrc.jpg

Warhammer orc

http://img425.imageshack.us/my.php?image=orc010ns.jpg

besides the fact that the games deal with the same races i do not see much similarity at ALL in the art style,

i don't see at all how you can say the game Looks like wow, you can say it shares similiar themes,, but look? i just don't get it.
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    i don't see at all how you can say the game Looks like wow, you can say it shares similiar themes,, but look? i just don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think If you pull out the individual assets and compare, then sure theres a difference. Your stuff seems slightly more realistic and dirtier, even higher resolution for sure.

But at a passing *glance* I agree with Rockstar that the 2 games look pretty similiar. This could be a shot from WoW no problem at all: http://www.warhammeronline.com/english/media/screenshots/full/ex_ss_03.jpg

Like WoW, it has a lot of ambient light, and the thing that reads when you look at the image, is all the beautifully painted and slightly stylized textures, as opposed to any real directional lighting of any kind. That and the color palette and subject matter of little blokes with beards and armor, well shoot, I think the 2 games are bound to look similiar.
    It's not to it's detriment at all. WoW is a beatiful game imho, and this is looking just as much so.

As for the cinematic, yeah top quality stuff from Blur as always. Not as good as the Warhammer 40k intro in terms of pace and editing I don't think, but very cool all the same.
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    i can't seem to get image tags working correctly now, i've tried a few difrent ways, the funny thing is, the tags were workign for a few minutes but now they are not for me.. kinda veird
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    daz, i think the ambient stuff is temporary, i know the engine programmer and he is really amazing, i think the second they drop the screens with new lighting model all comparisons to wow will end. i guess we all have to wait and see. i am egarly waiting to see this stuff lit and with spec maps.
  • LordScottish
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    I wouldn't even mind if it looks a bit like wow. wow isn't the first game with a stylized game environment, it's just the most famous one and that's why all the games that follow will be compared with it, especially if they are from the same genre. It only makes sense to aim for a stylized game environment if you design a world of this size, you can safe so much money.
    And wow hat the ugliest dwarfes I have ever seen in any media so far, they deserve to be copied by someone with more skill smile.gif
  • Ninjas
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I bit of a letdown for me. I think the cinimatic has some good parts. The Dwarf Dragon Slayer fighting the War Boss is cool. Since when did the Dark Elves look retarded? That must be a recent thing.
  • Matabus
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Like WoW, it has a lot of ambient light, and the thing that reads when you look at the image, is all the beautifully painted and slightly stylized textures, as opposed to any real directional lighting of any kind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Arsh said, it's temporary. These shots are ALL sans lighting. Once the lighting hits, you will see ... YOU WILL ALLL SEEE!! WAR 4 LYFE!
  • Scott Ruggels
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    WoW goblin

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/shared/wow-com/images/characters/ingame/goblin-banker.jpg

Warhammer online goblin
    http://img425.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gob8iz.jpg

WoW orc

http://wow.allakhazam.com/images/fashion/ToughScorpidBracersOrc.jpg

Warhammer orc

http://img425.imageshack.us/my.php?image=orc010ns.jpg

besides the fact that the games deal with the same races i do not see much similarity at ALL in the art style,

[/ QUOTE ]

Rhinokey, Warhammer predates Wow by 15-20 Years. Warhammer came out from the UK Game company that used to publish "White Dwarf" magazine,basically the English equivalent of Dragon magazine. WH was the first to start that 'caricatured" big foot art style in fantasy. At the time, the purists like me really turned their noses up at their clunky looking big headed miniatures and impossible armour, for things like Ral Partha Miniatures. War Hammer was set up to sell lead, and paint, and for that they have done well, Now I expect it's time for them to move into the electronic format, as they have 20 years of campaign history and magazine articles to use to add depth to their presentation. In Short, Warhammer came first and Blizzard Ripped them off, style and all, because they thought that they could get away with it. Now....

Scott
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    scott, i was showing those comparisons, because i don't think the art styles are that similiar, i'm pretty aware of the history behind warhammer, i've been working on warhammeronline online since its start. we've been fighting the WoW comparison from the start.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Oh... Okay.

Scott
  • Zergxes
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Nice trailer! I think it is sad that the IP has already been used by someone else. I hope the original Warhammer and 40K guys are seeing some royalties or at least more sales of the figures because of all that.

- Oh yeah, and the Tyrannid (sp?) rock